Author Topic: Amtrak  (Read 43106 times)

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amtrak
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Welcome!
I'm thinking about putting my mother on the train from Boston to Chicago. I think this is the Lake Shore Limited.

My mother is a novice traveler. Do you have any advice for such individuals?  I presume the conductor would help her to set up her sleeper in the "roomette". Right?

And how are meals handled. Would she eat in a dining car or would meals be brought to her?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Yes, the train from Boston to Chicago is the Lake Shore Limited. More info here: http://www.amtrak.com/lake-shore-limited-train

Note that from now through Nov. 12 due to trackwork (may be extended), passengers from Boston will have to change trains at Albany.

Each sleeping car has a Sleeping Car attendant, who is available to answer questions, set-up the room, respond to passenger requests, etc. The train does pick up the dining car in Albany, so she would be welcome to go to the dining car for dinner and breakfast, or she could request them brought to her room from her attendant.

Hope this helps!

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »

Yes, the train from Boston to Chicago is the Lake Shore Limited. More info here: http://www.amtrak.com/lake-shore-limited-train

Note that from now through Nov. 12 due to trackwork (may be extended), passengers from Boston will have to change trains at Albany.

Each sleeping car has a Sleeping Car attendant, who is available to answer questions, set-up the room, respond to passenger requests, etc. The train does pick up the dining car in Albany, so she would be welcome to go to the dining car for dinner and breakfast, or she could request them brought to her room from her attendant.

Hope this helps!
That's helpful. Planning the trip for around Thanksgiving, so maybe can avoid change of trains.  Thanks very much.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
Here I am!  :D
Hi!

Two quick questions that you might be able to help with, both regarding kosher meals.

First - Is the omelette the only breakfast option?  Or could I request something else instead, like the salmon?  Nothing against the omelette, but it wasn't too my liking.

Second - There is no dining car on the PDX segment of the Empire Builder (it goes to SEA instead), and as I understand it, sleeper passengers get a boxed meal.  Are kosher meals available on that segment or are we out of luck?

Thanks.  I took my first long distance Amtrak ride a few months ago - PDX to SAC to DEN - and I enjoyed it tremendously.  (And by chance I happen to have taken a much shorter Amtrak trip just this morning.)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
Best route (most scenic?) on which to redeem for roomette or bedroom?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
There is one that goes through the Rockies that is supposed to be nice. I think you can even take it to Sacramento and some park near there or on that route.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »
There is one that goes through the Rockies that is supposed to be nice. I think you can even take it to Sacramento and some park near there or on that route.

That is the California Zephyr, from Denver till the Bay Area is supposed to be the best part of the route. Other known scenic train rides include, The Empire Builder around the Glacier National Park and the train from Vancouver down to Los Angeles.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »
California Zephyr.  Stunning west of Denver.  Plan to spend most of your daylight hours in the sightseer lounge car.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »

From what I've read:

Coastal starlight Lax-pdx/sea
Empire builder sea/pdx- Montana is the nice portion.
Cascades- no sleepers, but a very nice ride from sea/pdx-VAC. 1500 coach or 2k biz seat.
CA Zephyr den-sac

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Hi!

Two quick questions that you might be able to help with, both regarding kosher meals.

First - Is the omelette the only breakfast option?  Or could I request something else instead, like the salmon?  Nothing against the omelette, but it wasn't too my liking.

Second - There is no dining car on the PDX segment of the Empire Builder (it goes to SEA instead), and as I understand it, sleeper passengers get a boxed meal.  Are kosher meals available on that segment or are we out of luck?

Thanks.  I took my first long distance Amtrak ride a few months ago - PDX to SAC to DEN - and I enjoyed it tremendously.  (And by chance I happen to have taken a much shorter Amtrak trip just this morning.)

Sure. Regarding kosher meals at breakfast, you should be able request something besides the omelette. It might confuse the commissary, but it is worth a shot.

Regarding the Portland section of the Builder, going west, you could probably talk to the Lead Service Attendant in the Dining Car prior to the train splitting at Spokane to see if they could transfer the meal to the Lounge Car. Going east, you would be out of luck.

AI

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
Is the Auto Train VA-FL bookable with points?

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
BUMP.

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »

Yes it is! Under the current system, you can get a ticket on the Auto Train for as low as 20,500 points per person (not bookable online, call AGR at 800-307-5000). The breakdown is as follows:

One-zone Coach seat: 5,500 pts
Vehicle (required): 15,000 pts
Add-on Roomette: +15,000 pts
Add-on Bedroom: +25,000 pts

Beginning 1/24/16, all reservations will transition to a dollar based point redemption. So, a one-way coach Auto Train ticket + vehicle would run you ~$350 -$500 / 12k - 17k pts depending on season and availability, which is actually a reduction versus today. Kids 2-15 also travel 50% off (up to 2 per paying adult) on AGR effective 1/24/16. Hope this helps!

AI

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
It does. Thanks.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:49 AM »
An upvaluation?

Dear **,

We will be introducing enhancements to the Amtrak Guest Rewards® program in January 2016 and as a part of these updates we will be creating new earning opportunities.

While members will continue to earn 2 points per dollar spent on Amtrak® travel, we will be adding a 25% point bonus for all Business class travel. Plus, the new point bonuses will count as Tier Qualifying Points, helping you to qualify for status faster.

The 100-point earning minimum per trip will be eliminated while the minimum amount of points needed to redeem travel has been lowered—starting at only 800 points. To find out how many points you will earn on your next trip, please see our Points Estimator.

These are just a few of the changes coming to the Amtrak Guest Rewards program next year. But you can get all the details now at AmtrakGuestRewards.com/RideOn.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2015, 12:42:00 AM »
Nope. Again, select routes will be cheaper, but by and large, it's a big deval. This is usual pr bs.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »
Any Auto train TR?
Hows the kosher food, standard airline?

We are taking it from Lorton VA to Sanford FL January 17th imyh.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
I have an upgrade coupon that can only be used up to 12 hours in advance.

I currently hold an Acela business class ticket that I'd like to upgrade to first class.  Acela first class comes with a free meal.  Kosher meals are available with 24 hours notice.

So if I can only upgrade to first class 12 hours in advance, but I need to order the kosher meal at least 24 hours in advance, how on earth can I get a meal that I can eat?  AmtrakInsider, any tips?  I tried to add the meal info to my business class reservation, but the system rejected it with an error message (I was watching the ticket agent's console at NYP).  If I order the kosher meal 12 hours in advance when I upgrade, will I get it despite not meeting the 24 hour requirement?

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
Fish Dinner on the Auto Train.

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2016, 11:56:58 PM »
Unfortunately, due to the structure of Amtrak's reservation system, 24 hours minimum for Acela (72 hours for long distance) is really needed for the commissary to receive proper notification of a special meal and ensure that it gets delivered to the proper train in advance of your travel. The upgrade coupons are set for 12 hours and there is generally not a way around that. I will flag your concern to the Loyalty Department, but they are currently preparing for the launch of AGR 2.0 so I may not get an answer quickly. Sorry about that.

AI

I have an upgrade coupon that can only be used up to 12 hours in advance.

I currently hold an Acela business class ticket that I'd like to upgrade to first class.  Acela first class comes with a free meal.  Kosher meals are available with 24 hours notice.

So if I can only upgrade to first class 12 hours in advance, but I need to order the kosher meal at least 24 hours in advance, how on earth can I get a meal that I can eat?  AmtrakInsider, any tips?  I tried to add the meal info to my business class reservation, but the system rejected it with an error message (I was watching the ticket agent's console at NYP).  If I order the kosher meal 12 hours in advance when I upgrade, will I get it despite not meeting the 24 hour requirement?

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2016, 11:59:54 PM »
Sorry I missed your post. As you saw, the food is probably a step above standard airline food, especially when you include the setup tray. You have a choice of fish, chicken, or beef. All OU/Pas Yisrael/Chalav Yisrael/Chassidhe Sechita. For breakfast, there is an omlette option, but not on the Auto Train since they have a continental breakfast only. The meals were upgraded a few years ago and use the same caterer as El Al First. Hope you're having a good trip.

AI

Any Auto train TR?
Hows the kosher food, standard airline?

We are taking it from Lorton VA to Sanford FL January 17th imyh.