Author Topic: continental upgrades  (Read 11895 times)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: continental upgrades
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
Understood. Thanks dan and steve

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

Obviously I'll enjoy the Lexus 460 more than the Aveo, so to say that I saved $9K doesn't do it justice.  Granted I would never pay the $80K, but that doesn't detract from the $80K value.

on this view I agree with you , you got an $80k car for free and not that you saved $80k. As for a $20k tkt if you again will say you got a $20k tkt for free, I wouldnt disagree , but I do disagree with saying I saved $20k per tkt unless a person is accustomed to actually buying such priced tkts . actual $$ saved is whatever amount a person would have honestly spent for the tkt in the class they would have purchased using their own $$$. and yes usually Biz or FC is alot nicer to fly in then Coach

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
on this view I agree with you , you got an $80k car for free and not that you saved $80k. As for a $20k tkt if you again will say you got a $20k tkt for free, I wouldnt disagree , but I do disagree with saying I saved $20k per tkt unless a person is accustomed to actually buying such priced tkts . actual $$ saved is whatever amount a person would have honestly spent for the tkt in the class they would have purchased using their own $$$. and yes usually Biz or FC is alot nicer to fly in then Coach
Fair enough.
I didn't save $20,000 by using 125K US miles, but I definitely enjoyed the entire experience!
Theoretically I didn't even save the price of a coach ticket as I wouldn't have gone if not for the miles.  Savings are hard to quantify.  Value received is easier, and I see that as $20,000, the price paid by the guy sitting next to me in F.

Now if only I could use 500K miles to buy that Porsche Panamera that Lufthansa chauffeured us in from the FRA First Class Terminal to the 747...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »
Fair enough.
I didn't save $20,000 by using 125K US miles, but I definitely enjoyed the entire experience!
Theoretically I didn't even save the price of a coach ticket as I wouldn't have gone if not for the miles.  Savings are hard to quantify.  Value received is easier, and I see that as $20,000, the price paid by the guy sitting next to me in F.

Now if only I could use 500K miles to buy that Porsche Panamera that Lufthansa chauffeured us in from the FRA First Class Terminal to the 747...

well I wouldnt say it was a $20k in value either. sort of like Orbitzs lowest fare deal the chances that someone is going to buy the exact flights I did to TLV (with the same exact FD on that same date and flight) aint gonna happen. If it does I will have $110 coming my way yep the fare dropped over R"H but the FD saved me close to $350 off COs fare at the time of purchase and ist still $240 cheaper then CO is today

So unless there was a person flying the exact same flights as you were and paid the Full FC fare then how do you get $20k. what if you flew and everyone else in FC used Ups to get there and the actual cost of their Biz tkts were say $3k would you say the value of your tkt was $3k since thats what everyone else paid/

Id simply say I flew in FC on my trip and enjoyed it with all its perks and not mention anything about any price or $$$ in any way shape , manner or form. Im sure alot of others flying werent paying anything out of their pockets either but either a client or their company paid for their tkts.In that case they were in better condition as they earned a boat load of Miles and didnt use any Miles or $$ for their tkt.

Im doing a NY-HNL Run after YT it cost me out of pocket $162 the reg fare should have been $762 and since UA.com was messed up I was able to get flights that should have priced out at $1k for the base of $716. Now 2 CR1s have me uped to Biz/FC except for the IAD-JFK which is all coach

no way would I have paid $762 for such a tkt since Im earning 10,360 EQMs and $762 could have earned me 12k in EQMs for 2 Runs out to ONT.When I told people Im heading to HNL they asked me what I paid, I answered do you want to know what it cost me out of pocket or what it should have cost me, and before they tell me I tell them $162 due to an e-cert I had that was worth $600 and was usuable only on Domestic tkts, otherwise $762 and I wouldnt have purchased it at that price!

and a Run it is arrive 5pm on Sun and out 1pm on Tues, so Mon is the only really day there and will go snokeling up the coast

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »
-Care to share the FD that shaved $350 off of a TLV ticket? I've seen YYZ take off $100, but $350?

-If you were given a Panamera tomorrow would you say its value is only $9,000 because you normally buy Aveos?  You're getting too technical IMO with value received.  You may have not paid $700 to go to HNL, but that is the value of the flight.

-Spend the 10K miles and go to Kauai for the day.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
-Care to share the FD that shaved $350 off of a TLV ticket? I've seen YYZ take off $100, but $350?

-If you were given a Panamera tomorrow would you say its value is only $9,000 because you normally buy Aveos?  You're getting too technical IMO with value received.  You may have not paid $700 to go to HNL, but that is the value of the flight.

-Spend the 10K miles and go to Kauai for the day.

value is very hard to pin down , some Masters sell for 10s of Millions of $$$$ if had that kind of $$ I doubt Id blow it on a Master, yet those that do dont see it as blowing anything except an opportunity to own a Master. Or what is a handsome guy or pretty girl, what it is to me might not reach yur standards or it may be way above yur standards

as for the FD funny is I used to PM back people do yur homework show me you tried and I will help you once you show me you tried. So YYZ was leaving way too much meat still on the bone. I went thru the Trick thread on FT and realized by the time I work it out the fare will be gone as there were only 4 tkts left at that price (of cause now that the fare went down by $110 I wish I wasnt helped)

being it was Labor Day weekend those who wouldnt even ask me to do the homework 1st werent around, not that I would have gone that route.  The new main guy Winged I have no dealings with and he shot me down 1-2-3. I sent 2 other PMs and 1 guy said with the #of yrs Ive been around and helped so many Im happy to be able to help you in return and sent me the info based on my homework I sent him. I sent him a PM offereing whatever I had with CO or UA Club passes, drink chits etc etc but he wanted nothing at all

But the info is all in theeh thread 1 just needs to understand the new lingo and have the time to play with ITA and alot of PATIENCE. also start reading from pg 410 onwards

But the new 1 they are using saved me apx $150 over YYZ and accordance with his request I will share it when someone shows they did their homework and werent able to come up with it or must tkt Now and time is against them and agrees not to post it in a public forum

as for the value of the HNL you got me just cause the fare is $762 doesnt mean its worth that. Since I wouldnt spend that much for a HNL flight it doesnt have a $762 value to me. Especailly at .074 per EQM way too high although Im spending more then that for TLV, for a good value it would have to be almost 1/2 that amount and yet with the exception of 2 flights they were all over $1300. But then again I could have driven up to BDL and paid $646 but after the gas and having to pay for parking it wouldnt have saved much and earned pretty much the same amount of EQMs

as for Maui or Kauai not for  1 day,I want to spend alot more time there and actually snokeling at Haumamua (wrong spelling) is a nice relaxing day and a nice cove to do it at.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:59:18 PM by steve2 »

Offline Yoel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Gold Medallion, Premier Platinum
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »
It all depends if the flight has BusinessFirst service.  If it's BusinessFirst you won't get upgraded for free.
If it's first class or international business you can get upgraded for free.

Why is that? whats so special about BusinessFirst ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:52:55 PM by Yoel »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
Why is that? whats so special about BusinessFirst ?

well it depends on which aircraft 1 will be flying if its the 767 series then nothing really special at all ,IMO.

If its the 752 or 777 then you will have a flat-bed seat and very good IFE (In Flight Entertainment system) and plugs for all your personal electronics. The meals will probably have alittle more to them as well

then where CO uses say a 737 to an Intl destination and no BF seating they allow free Upgrades this can be to Mex or Latin Am or Northern SA

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 06:35:56 PM »
well it depends on which aircraft 1 will be flying if its the 767 series then nothing really special at all ,IMO.

If its the 752 or 777 then you will have a flat-bed seat and very good IFE (In Flight Entertainment system) and plugs for all your personal electronics. The meals will probably have alittle more to them as well

then where CO uses say a 737 to an Intl destination and no BF seating they allow free Upgrades this can be to Mex or Latin Am or Northern SA
Of course you can get an upgrade on a 752 flat-bed flying EWR-FLL or EWR-LAX or even a 777 flying EWR-IAH also.  Those have BF seating but the key is how the flight is marketed.  As those are sold on CO.com as First class and not BusinessFirst you can get upgraded on them. The upgrades are dependent on how the flight is marketed, not the aircraft.

If it's marketed as BusinessFirst, no comp upgrades.  If it's marketed as International Business or First Class, you can get upgrades.

Here's the general rule of thumb:
BusinessFirst: Flights between the US and Europe, Asia, Southern South America, and between EWR/IAH and HNL.

First and International Business: Flights within North America, CO Mike flights within Asia, Oceania, and between Hawaii and Asia except for the nonstop HNL-GUM flight, flights between the US and Latin America/Northern South America, flights from LAX/SNA to Honolulu or Maui.

BusinessFirst flights require either a SWU or miles+cash to upgrade.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
Of course you can get an upgrade on a 752 flat-bed flying EWR-FLL or EWR-LAX or even a 777 flying EWR-IAH also.  Those have BF seating but the key is how the flight is marketed.  As those are sold on CO.com as First class and not BusinessFirst you can get upgraded on them. The upgrades are dependent on how the flight is marketed, not the aircraft.

If it's marketed as BusinessFirst, no comp upgrades.  If it's marketed as International Business or First Class, you can get upgrades.

BusinessFirst: Flights between the US and Europe, Asia, Southern South America, and between EWR/IAH and HNL.

First and International Business: Flights within North America, CO Mike flights within Asia, Oceania, and between Hawaii and Asia except for the nonstop HNL-GUM flight, flights between the US and Latin America/Northern South America, flights from LAX/SNA to Honolulu or Maui.

True yrs ago it was easier to score on the EWR-Florida 752s, then I found they usually used them as feeds from/to the Intl flights out of / into EWR so the chances for the UP went way down as those on Biz tkts got 1st crack at them and usually flew it rather then a reg FC seat (cant blame them) LAX I think is down to 1 752 at 1 time I remember there were 3 or 4 , SFO I think gets 0 752s today. And it was taken off the LAX-HNL run as well.

the 767 or 777 IAH-EWR comes and goes like the sun does, cant be relied on and all too often even a Plat wont score the UP from what I last read on FT if they are on an ElCheapo, since its heavy with people heading Intl

thats why I kept my answer to the Intl flights since they are for sure, while the Domestic flights can and do get switched to 737s all the time

Offline Yoel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Gold Medallion, Premier Platinum
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »
businessfirst is their highest level?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
businessfirst is their highest level?

yep

presidentialplus

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »

Is the only way to upgarde on UA with Miles plus cash, or is there any other way (mile only etc) for non elites?