Milan, Paris, Or Zurich?

Milan
2 (9.1%)
Paris
11 (50%)
Zurich
9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Milan, Paris, Or Zurich?  (Read 7342 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Milan, Paris, Or Zurich?
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
I'm thinking of spending a long weekend at the Park Hyatt in Milan, Paris, Or Zurich.

All of the hotels go for $500-$1,200 per night so they should be quite nice.

I've haven't spent time in any of those cities, which would you recommend for a quickie trip?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline plane.love

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Milan, Paris, Or Zurich?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
Do you like shopping, eating or cleaning money? ;)

Offline md

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
Very good:)

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
 Milan nothing to do in the city itself

Zurich is nice the Hyatt isnt too far from JCC and Shalom restaurant, but you need less then a day to knock off Zurich

Paris is Paris

I wouldnt go somewhere simply cause the Hotel is expensive, Id rather go somewhere cause theres things I want to do or of interest to me. Except a Resort which is a destination in itself. Most of Hyatts in Europe are in the biz sections so thats a nono if I can help it

Why not London?

when R U looking to go? right now and for the past month+ europe has been in a Freeze and I wouldnt want to be anywhere there

why not Santiago,Chile theres a beautiful Hyatt there and its summer time or BA,Argentina. If youre looking for after Pesach then Europe will be warmer then it is now
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:47:39 PM by ChaimB »

Offline batzelda1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »
Definitely Paris!

Not much to do in Milan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:23:42 AM »
Looking to go in March just after Purim.

I did London back in 2003 and don't have much of a desire to return, plus there's no Park Hyatt in London.

So no love for Milan?  Schedule wise mileage tickets and hotel availability works out best for Milan.

Buenos Aires is a possibility, but flight schedules aren't cooperating right now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 07:16:34 AM »
Definitly Paris. Nothing to do in Zurich Milan is nice but doesn't come close to Paris. Just walking the streets  of Paris is worth it.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:39:43 AM »
Looking to go in March just after Purim.

I did London back in 2003 and don't have much of a desire to return, plus there's no Park Hyatt in London.

So no love for Milan?  Schedule wise mileage tickets and hotel availability works out best for Milan.

Buenos Aires is a possibility, but flight schedules aren't cooperating right now.

so U R basing where to go if theres a Park Hyatt or how much a room is rather then go somewhere that interests U? doesnt make much sense to me

a tkt to TLV is $850 and it costs $500 to Mobile,Alabama so you will fly to Mobile 3 times since it will yield more of a savings?

I wouldnt look at the price of a room but rather I'd want to go somewhere where there are things Im interested in doing. Getting the most per pt or mile is secondary.

What happens when the room is most expensive say in Paris but the tkt costs the most to Milan and what if the savings from the tkt would be more then the savings from the Hotel, will you go where the tkt will yield more of a savings?

Purim is early this yr Europe is in a deep freeze and might just remain there during March as well. If BA doesnt work out what about the Grand Caymans or Aurba or any place in that area.

Dont look at the room rate but do look at a place with what to do even if its just lying on a beach or by the pool if thats what you guys want to do.

Even Paris is limited especailly if you plan to stay outdoors and the weather is against you as its been till now.

Offline MOSES

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »

For a good reason

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »
so U R basing where to go if theres a Park Hyatt or how much a room is rather then go somewhere that interests U?  
No, I've wanted to go to Europe for quite some time now. (Notice how all 3 of my choices were in Europe, not Timbuktu)
While I know I want to see Europe I just don't know where, so yes, a nice hotel will influence that decision.
Also I can get a 40K AA/BA mileage ticket anywhere in Europe for now, while BA is not available.

I just spent 2 weeks in Hawaii last month so I don't have such a desire for the Caribbean or a beach destination.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:12:42 AM by Dan »

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »

What about South Africa then youd really save  a ton on the tkts and its suppose to be an amazing place. Do a Safari!!

With BA they say its like being in Paris , besides if you dont mind having to actually buy a tkt and its expensive fly up to Igrazu theres a Sheraton right by the Falls. They say Igrazu Falls makes Niagara look like a sink faucet

Too bad you didnt do the BA 100k deal that would have gotten U down to BA probably with alittle more spending in Biz as well
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:14:35 AM by ChaimB »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »

What about South Africa then youd really save  a ton on the tkts and its suppose to be an amazing place. Do a Safari!!

With BA they say its like being in Paris , besides if you dont mind having to actually buy a tkt and its expensive fly up to Igrazu theres a Sheraton right by the Falls. They say Igrazu Falls makes Niagara look like a sink faucet
I think SA is too far to fly for a long weekend.

I've done Iguazu and would like to bring my wife, it is indeed 1000x better than Niagara.  But not enough time to do BA and Iguazu in a long weekend.

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
I think SA is too far to fly for a long weekend.

I've done Iguazu and would like to bring my wife, it is indeed 1000x better than Niagara.  But not enough time to do BA and Iguazu in a long weekend.

dare I say Berlin, the shul is a 40 min walk the Hotel is great and so much to do and see you wont beable to get it all in including a camp Saucsenin (wrong spelling) its appx a 1/2 hr subway ride and 15 min walk afterwards

Milan and Zurich I did on long stop overs or an overnighter to/from TLV and really after a couple of hrs walking around youve taken it all in. Paris Id say the samething been there with the X and a waste. Did a long weekend in Berlin and needed alot more time and that was w/o hitting the museums.Just wished afterwards that I made it there before the Wall came down

If it Must be 1 of the 3 then Paris, but I would open up to other places and forget about getting the most bang per pt
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:27:12 AM by ChaimB »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
paris 100%. it is the most beautiful city in the world

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
.......and romantic

Offline momo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »
 Nothing to do in Milan. Zurich itself really has nothing doing, but if you are willing to travel a bit by train then it's beautiful! Also you would still be able to get some skiing in. Paris would probably be best. There is much to do just walking around the city.Plus there is great shopping if that is your thing, at lafayette mall. You can also hop on a train for a short ride to the Palace of Versaille which will basically take up a full day between the main palace and marie antoinette's palace and the gardens. In paris itself getting around is really simple even without speaking any French by taking the metro, or you can rent a bike in a bunch of different places.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
Nothing to do in Milan. Zurich itself really has nothing doing, but if you are willing to travel a bit by train then it's beautiful! Also you would still be able to get some skiing in. Paris would probably be best. There is much to do just walking around the city.Plus there is great shopping if that is your thing, at lafayette mall. You can also hop on a train for a short ride to the Palace of Versaille which will basically take up a full day between the main palace and marie antoinette's palace and the gardens. In paris itself getting around is really simple even without speaking any French by taking the metro, or you can rent a bike in a bunch of different places.
What kind of stuff can you do around Zurich?

The Park Hyatt Paris actually has a free bike service (among many other services that justify $1,200/night) and a lavish free kosher food spread as a Diamond.  The problem is they're sold out for 2 of the 4 nights I'm looking for.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
still go even if you have to pay for two nights. its best seen when youre a newlywed just the two of you. (as opposed to when the little ones start comin')

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »

What about South Africa then youd really save  a ton on the tkts and its suppose to be an amazing place. Do a Safari!!

Too bad you didnt do the BA 100k deal that would have gotten U down to BA probably with alittle more spending in Biz as well

Hey, Dan spent $2,750 accumulating '22' free nights with HYATT  and surely has some left, even after giving some away, and enjoying Hawaii. So he wants to to get his money's worth and use them up in a expensive HYATTs. So, Sheratons or places that don't have nice HYATTS are not cutting the dea at this point, since originally the Hyatt nights needed to be redeemed by the end of March.

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
Paris, unless u love shopping u can go to Milan