Author Topic: 2 free bags for each Continental/United Card  (Read 3773 times)

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
2 free bags for each Continental/United Card
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »
I have one Chase United Mileage Plus card, which entitles me to up to two free bags on a domestic flight (though the booklet provded with card and other adds don't specify, in fine print on the website there is a restriction for up to one free bag for each of the "Primary" cardmember and a companion). i also got a second card for my wife under my card (with same CC number) and then purchase 2 pairs of tickets, one with my card and one with hers (with each of us having one child as our companion).

does anyone think i will get away with 2 checked bags for each of us (on our separate reservations) when we do computerized checkin and bag drop, or do you think it just won't work?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: 2 free bags for each Continental/United Card
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
Lol, nope.
You and one additional flyer will get their first checked bag free.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »
I have one Chase United Mileage Plus card, which entitles me to up to two free bags on a domestic flight (though the booklet provded with card and other adds don't specify, in fine print on the website there is a restriction for up to one free bag for each of the "Primary" cardmember and a companion). i also got a second card for my wife under my card (with same CC number) and then purchase 2 pairs of tickets, one with my card and one with hers   (with each of us having one child as our companion).

If she is an AU on your card, then both cards are exactly the same. Its just as good as using one card for both reservations.
 Actually,  you did use one cc for both! How did you use yours for one and hers for one? Wat differentiated?

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:20:56 AM »
If she is an AU on your card, then both cards are exactly the same. Its just as good as using one card for both reservations.
 Actually,  you did use one cc for both! How did you use yours for one and hers for one? Wat differentiated?
Name of cardholder ;)

Offline Wolf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:06:04 AM »
Might work with the AMEX delta though, where each AU gets his own number, but I think the cardmember agreements always state that its for the Primary card holder only.

Edit: This is what says on delta's amex app website, didnt check United.
First Checked Bag Free: Benefit is limited to Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Cards. Reservation must include the Basic Cardmember's SkyMiles number.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
CO/UA primary gets the free bag automatically and secondary can get it manually at checkin, though YMMV on the checkin agent's mood in that case.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
i differentiated by the name on the card when booking, plus the different MileagePlus number (and have 2 separate reservation numbers etc). Thanks for all the quick input, but what i'm understanding is i will have to do manual bag drop (wait on line) in order to get my second free bag (let alone begging for more bags)? the perk will only work automatically on my first bag?

Still wondering how they will tell that the reservations are connected. if we go on separate lines and each have our separate bags, you expect they would catch and realize that its all under one card (even with diff names and mileage plus numbers)?

I don't really need more than 2 bags, i just kind of want to test this to see if it works for some other time when i might need.  ::)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
Lol, nope.
You and one additional flyer will get their first checked bag free.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Walk On the Ocean

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
If i show a recently cancelled card, is there a chance that they will allow me to still get the free bags?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
If i show a recently cancelled card, is there a chance that they will allow me to still get the free bags?
I believe what Dan said about a secondary would apply in this case:
CO/UA primary gets the free bag automatically and secondary can get it manually at checkin, though YMMV on the checkin agent's mood in that case.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »
My father was just able to get 2 free bags for him and a companion by showing his AU PP card to a checkin agent, no questions asked.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
When travelling and trying to get the free bags with cancelled card, make sure to check in with an actual agent not a machine kiosk. Just showing the agent the card worked

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
When travelling and trying to get the free bags with cancelled card, make sure to check in with an actual agent not a machine kiosk. Just showing the agent the card worked
Thanks for answering your own question  ;)
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
Thanks for answering your own question  ;)
lol
I figured it would be a good data point

Offline tuvz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »
does the ticket have to be booked on my United MPE for me to get the free bag?
so lets say i can only get one free, how much would they charge for a second? $25 or $35?