Topic Wiki

Kashrus
Henche's comments do not imply anything about kashrus status.  Boston is out of town.

Minyanim
This link has all the minyanim, except the downtown mincha. http://yibrookline.org/wp/community-minyanim/

RESTAURANTS

Name                            Phone                   Address                             Price   Dairy/Meat/Parve             TR/Not To Be Missed                                                                                                             Hashgacha
Cafe Eilat617-277-7770406 Harvard St, Brookline$$$D   Pizza$30 pizza pie; "Infernal Pizza" KVH
Cold Press617-487-8948 326 Harvard St, Brookline $$$Hippies, paninis, saladsKVH
JP Licks
Kupels617-566-9528 421 Harvard St, Brookline $$$P   Bakery KVH
Milk Street617-542-3663 50 Milk St, Boston $$$Hot Pastrami Sandwich on Ciabbata
Rami’s617-738-3577 324 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   IsraeliWish this place could be in NY KVH
Rosenfeld’s Bagels617-527-8080 1280 Centre St, Newton $$$DCLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS KVH
Kosher Wok (formerly Ta'am China)617-264-7274 423 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   Chinesezow: "very good food; service sometimes poor; pu pu platter 7/10; General Gao Chicken 9/10.
Emkay
Rabbi Hammoui

Link to google map of all ostensibly kosher food in Massachusetts (check individual hashgachos-includes some non orthodox ones):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15qRYeWPCbqv6BkdeObFYiuRXOsSfgW18&ll=42.126221574551906%2C-71.26360220425265&z=7

TR's
Hvaces42, jj1000, skyguy918, Dan, Dan, JayR, zow, zow, Davidmal, SrulyP
CGR

Places to stay

Henche
Impossible

A complete map of shuls, eruvin, mikva'os, food, and hotels (near shuls) in the greater Boston area (and beyond)
« Last edited by WAM on December 26, 2022, 10:55:02 PM »

Author Topic: Boston Master Thread  (Read 229354 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2015, 12:36:32 AM »
sweater in the 95 degrees weather?

Of course not. Unless you're going on the whale watching boats. Then you should bring a sweater.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
Am I remembering correctly that there's a 24 hour Stop & Shop with a pretty big kosher section?
If yes which one is it?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Am I remembering correctly that there's a 24 hour Stop & Shop with a pretty big kosher section?
If yes which one is it?

Hard to find GC's.

If there is a 24 hour one, I don't know of it.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Hard to find GC's.

Um
with a pretty big kosher section?
Since when are the gc's in the kosher section?

Which is the one with the big kosher section?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
Hard to find GC's.

If there is a 24 hour one, I don't know of it.
Lol.. I  suppose gc are the priority

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
Just got back from 2 days in Boston. Dont want to write full TR as we didn't do too much of the touristy stuff. Much Thanks to @Zow and @henche for their assistance in making this trip really enjoyable.

I drove. Flew the wife and 4 kids one way with Avios LGA-BOS (Total 22.5k). They had a good time in Admirals Club on both ends (Citi Executive Card). I picked them up on the BOS side.

We wanted to do the Duck Tour within the hour of us getting there. I had pre-paid with the Boston Go Card (gave me a 20% discount if i chose another attraction, so I chose the Paul Revere House which cost about $15 extra to save $30). They suggested that we arrive early or call in the morning and pay $3.50 (net, after another full charge and refund) to reserve spots on the tour of our choice. I called at 10am and was told that there was no need to reserve and they were pretty much empty for the entire day. We got there at 1pm and wanted to take the 2pm tour. They said they were booked solid until 4pm. Lesson learned, dont trust them, just make the reservations.

The tour was very interesting and gives you a decent overview of the city. Its a bit pricey, but a must do experience. The kids got to steer the Duck when it turned into a boat and went into the Charles River.

We stayed at the Newton Riverside Hotel Indigo. I had 2 rooms for 2 nights (120k IHG points 100k purchased at .05625 when they had the promotion and 20k purchased for .07 under "points and cash" option ) The Rooms were going for $235-250 each per night so i basically ended up with a 25% discount using the points. The Hotel rooms were tiny. We had one room with a King and one with two doubles. The King was more like a queen. Rooms had showers only and great views of the Riverside "T" station and I-95.

The one saving grace of this hotel is its outdoor pool. There is a childrens pool and decent size adult pool. We basically had the pool to ourselves as most of the hotel occupants were there for college move-in week. The lounge chairs (beds) were excellent. Spent 6 hours over 2 days at the pool. Obviously the pool is only open for summer months.

The second day, on the suggestion of someone I met we went to the aquarium. It was interesting for the kids, but for the adults, once you've seen a seal/sea lion show, youve pretty much seen them all. The 3 storey fish tank in the middle was pretty cool with the divers feeding the fish in the tank. But its still an aquarium.

Between parking ($37 Harbor Garage) and admission, the Duck tour and the museum cost us $200 for each attraction.

The first night we took out from Taam China. I tried some of the dishes that Dan suggested and found that every dish tasted the same. Any dish that has battered chicken tasted the same as the other dish (i.e. Szechuan chicken, was the same as sweet and sour with the sauce on the side instead of the chicken mixed in, Hunan chicken and Chicken with Broccoli tasted exactly the same). They were more on the bland side. Had the chicken dumplings, which were ok. Had Egg drop/Wonton soup which was bland and taseless. Kosher Chinese Family in Flatbush is any time better. Fed the family with 5 dishes, 1 appetizer and 1 soup for about $85.

The second night we went out to Rami's. The food was delicious. Had Shwarma, Ami's special, which is the middle eastern version of a pu pu platter, chicken nuggets (frozen ground chicken shaped like nuggets) and a burger ( they were out of burger buns?!?!) and fries. The service was fast efficient and good. Was a bit pricey and wasnt sure if i needed to tip as we were semi-served (I did anyway). The only real complaint is that we were rushed out. The place is small and he wanted to get us in and out.

Gotta run will try to finish up later.             
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »

Just got back from 2 days in Boston. Dont want to write full TR as we didn't do too much of the touristy stuff. Much Thanks to @Zow and @henche for their assistance in making this trip really enjoyable.

I drove. Flew the wife and 4 kids one way with Avios LGA-BOS (Total 22.5k). They had a good time in Admirals Club on both ends (Citi Executive Card). I picked them up on the BOS side.

We wanted to do the Duck Tour within the hour of us getting there. I had pre-paid with the Boston Go Card (gave me a 20% discount if i chose another attraction, so I chose the Paul Revere House which cost about $15 extra to save $30). They suggested that we arrive early or call in the morning and pay $3.50 (net, after another full charge and refund) to reserve spots on the tour of our choice. I called at 10am and was told that there was no need to reserve and they were pretty much empty for the entire day. We got there at 1pm and wanted to take the 2pm tour. They said they were booked solid until 4pm. Lesson learned, dont trust them, just make the reservations.

The tour was very interesting and gives you a decent overview of the city. Its a bit pricey, but a must do experience. The kids got to steer the Duck when it turned into a boat and went into the Charles River.

We stayed at the Newton Riverside Hotel Indigo. I had 2 rooms for 2 nights (120k IHG points 100k purchased at .05625 when they had the promotion and 20k purchased for .07 under "points and cash" option ) The Rooms were going for $235-250 each per night so i basically ended up with a 25% discount using the points. The Hotel rooms were tiny. We had one room with a King and one with two doubles. The King was more like a queen. Rooms had showers only and great views of the Riverside "T" station and I-95.

The one saving grace of this hotel is its outdoor pool. There is a childrens pool and decent size adult pool. We basically had the pool to ourselves as most of the hotel occupants were there for college move-in week. The lounge chairs (beds) were excellent. Spent 6 hours over 2 days at the pool. Obviously the pool is only open for summer months.

The second day, on the suggestion of someone I met we went to the aquarium. It was interesting for the kids, but for the adults, once you've seen a seal/sea lion show, youve pretty much seen them all. The 3 storey fish tank in the middle was pretty cool with the divers feeding the fish in the tank. But its still an aquarium.

Between parking ($37 Harbor Garage) and admission, the Duck tour and the museum cost us $200 for each attraction.

The first night we took out from Taam China. I tried some of the dishes that Dan suggested and found that every dish tasted the same. Any dish that has battered chicken tasted the same as the other dish (i.e. Szechuan chicken, was the same as sweet and sour with the sauce on the side instead of the chicken mixed in, Hunan chicken and Chicken with Broccoli tasted exactly the same). They were more on the bland side. Had the chicken dumplings, which were ok. Had Egg drop/Wonton soup which was bland and taseless. Kosher Chinese Family in Flatbush is any time better. Fed the family with 5 dishes, 1 appetizer and 1 soup for about $85.

The second night we went out to Rami's. The food was delicious. Had Shwarma, Ami's special, which is the middle eastern version of a pu pu platter, chicken nuggets (frozen ground chicken shaped like nuggets) and a burger ( they were out of burger buns?!?!) and fries. The service was fast efficient and good. Was a bit pricey and wasnt sure if i needed to tip as we were semi-served (I did anyway). The only real complaint is that we were rushed out. The place is small and he wanted to get us in and out.

Gotta run will try to finish up later.           

What do you mean, "Don't want to write a full TR?" I think that's what you just did, and a great one at that. Thanks so much!

I like Taam China a lot, but it is all we have, so i guess I have convinced myself it's better than it really is.  Favorite dish by far is the General Gau's chicken, which I have sampled elsewhere, and continue to believe Taam is the best, but I recognize my bias.

As I said in my recent Philly posting, my son (yes, the same one whom we took on a tour of the Red Light District in AMS, but maybe I don't need to keep reminding you all of that?!) thinks that Mama's falafel in Philly beats Rami's, but both inferior to Moshiko.  I don't think my tastes are sufficiently refined to distinguish them -- all are good and fun to enjoy. Plus, you never have to choose among them.

You did lots of touristy things and got to enjoy pool and sunshine -- your kids must have been having a great time and should have been very appreciative of all your efforts to organize and execute.

Thanks for reviewing the Indigo. 

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm interested in going to the Winter Classic at Gillette Stadium but the game is on a Friday afternoon. Need somewhere to stay around there for Shabbos that is walking distance from the stadium. Already looked at the Renaissance that's right there but it's booked. Any other suggestions of where I'd be able to stay (yes, I've already used Google).

Offline emak

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
What's to do in Boston for adults? Not tourist-y like the freedom trail etc. The brewery looks interesting. Any other ideas? Can we check out MIT?

Offline Einstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
Why is the SPG by the airport so expensive!! ??? :-\
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
What's to do in Boston for adults? Not tourist-y like the freedom trail etc. The brewery looks interesting. Any other ideas? Can we check out MIT?
I really enjoyed the JFK library

Offline bubble347

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
What time is the latest minyan Mariv in Boston tonight?
Watch this inspiring video.

Offline Adam101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »
Just landed!

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
Anyone around?

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
What's my best bet for dinner

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
What's my best bet for dinner

It's Boston.  But, my recommend is Rubins and get the firehouse burger.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2016, 11:49:59 AM »
There is a Groupon for A Perfect Taste. I just called and spoke with the owner, Neil. They are a new pareve/fleishik bakery/cafe/caterer, Glatt KVH, in Stoughton,  which is near Sharon (frum community about 30 min south of Boston). I will try it out and report back. Wondering if others have experience?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »
There is a Groupon for A Perfect Taste. I just called and spoke with the owner, Neil. They are a new pareve/fleishik bakery/cafe/caterer, Glatt KVH, in Stoughton,  which is near Sharon (frum community about 30 min south of Boston). I will try it out and report back. Wondering if others have experience?

Thanks, bought one. 

DDF Sunday DO?

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »
Any hotels in Boston area that I can use rewards points to book a suite?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2016, 05:22:21 PM »
Thanks, bought one. 

DDF Sunday DO?

Good thought, but I can't, as I will be getting back from NYC on Sunday.  I do hope to drop by there next week. IIRC, Neil (owner) said they would be open through Thursday, then closed during Pesach, then grand opening after.