Author Topic: Real Estate investment  (Read 81043 times)

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Real Estate investment
« Reply #340 on: February 23, 2024, 02:07:52 PM »
Thanks!

I guess breaking even, increasing equity in the house and being able to use the property pesach etc.. is somewhat of a gain?

what are the main expenses for you?

If you want to break even then you can't use it for in demand dates especially Orlando where this much less demand then miami and more supply.
Breaking even in our case is P+I and all expenses which includes, Lawn, Pool Maintenance , Water, Utilities, Cleaning Supplies, Repairs and local Manager.
As stated above you if your goal is to save on your vacation you won't, if your wealthy and want a 2nd home in Florida that's a different story

Offline Baglach

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 23, 2024, 02:10:48 PM »
and building equity in the property through the rental payments
Try to underwrite the deal with regular long term rents if it doesn't pencil my advise is stay away
Keep in mind that many different areas started banning short term rentals and what ever you've been told insurance would cost you count double for it.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 23, 2024, 02:47:19 PM »
@davidd75 here are my two cents. I think you need to separate the investment analysis from the personal feelings about owning a second home.

For the investment analysis, you need to build a pro forma which takes into account all income and all expenses. You're going to have to make estimates for rental rates, occupancy rates, and all costs, but try to find real data to inform your estimates. Try to include everything, both at the time of acquisition (like any renovations, the cost of furnishing the place, etc.),  and ongoing costs like management, an allowance for damages, cancellations, etc. Speak to people who have done this to try to figure out realistic expectations for each item.

If you would otherwise be renting a place for a number of days or weeks annually, then maybe add that to the rental income line. Make sure to adjust the actual rental income to reflect whichever days you're renting it out for.

All that will help you analyze the cashflow (positive or negative).

Then build in whatever principal paydown you're making, and any market increase in the value of the home, if you're assuming one.

Now before getting into the emotions of why you want to own a vacation home, at least you can analyze the investment itself. Is it looking a compelling enough investment to justify the headache, or does it look a lot less exciting in excel than it does in a dream? How does this investment compare to others that you could make? How diversified are you if something in this investment goes wrong?

Now separately you can think about the emotional or intangible value to you in owning a second home , but at least you're not muddying the investment analysis with that excitement. That certainly won't do you any good.

Obviously this is all irrelevant if you can comfortably afford a second home and think it's a good use of your money, but if you're actually looking at this as an investment, then I think you gotta analyze it as one.

/.02

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2024, 03:25:23 PM »
Thanks!

I guess breaking even, increasing equity in the house and being able to use the property pesach etc.. is somewhat of a gain?

what are the main expenses for you?
Also what would you personally regret more?

If you purchased, and were underwater, or if you didn't, and prices skyrocketed.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2024, 09:38:32 PM »
Also what would you personally regret more?

If you purchased, and were underwater, or if you didn't, and prices skyrocketed.
that's all part of the second (emotional) question, after the financial analysis

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 26, 2024, 10:46:56 AM »
If you want to break even then you can't use it for in demand dates especially Orlando where this much less demand then miami and more supply.
Breaking even in our case is P+I and all expenses which includes, Lawn, Pool Maintenance , Water, Utilities, Cleaning Supplies, Repairs and local Manager.
As stated above you if your goal is to save on your vacation you won't, if your wealthy and want a 2nd home in Florida that's a different story

are you sure about this part.  Pesach I think is packed with renters in Orlando more so than most places if I am not mistaken

Offline Baglach

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2024, 11:14:57 AM »
are you sure about this part.  Pesach I think is packed with renters in Orlando more so than most places if I am not mistaken
You can't break even just renting out pesach... (and you want to use it pessach.)
In miami there's demand from December-April that has potential to break even (not with today's intrest and prices)

Feel free to reach out to me and I'm happy to go over the numbers

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2024, 12:43:19 PM »
Anyone here familiar with the Rochester NY market

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2024, 02:21:14 PM »
You can't break even just renting out pesach... (and you want to use it pessach.)
In miami there's demand from December-April that has potential to break even (not with today's intrest and prices)

Feel free to reach out to me and I'm happy to go over the numbers

I think I read your post wrong.  I thought you meant there is less demand in Orlando during pesach etc...

Offline Baglach

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2024, 08:50:12 PM »
I think I read your post wrong.  I thought you meant there is less demand in Orlando during pesach etc...
I was talking in general much less demand

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts