Topic Wiki

American Express reconsideration (personal and business):
866-314-0237
1-800-582-6471

Another number they gave me on the phone for Biz: 800 952 7560
Also, 1800-567-1083
Also: 1800-334-0400 (gave me for Gold)

To check your application status: americanexpress.com/applicationstatus

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps
« Last edited by TimT on March 16, 2016, 09:34:16 PM »

Author Topic: AMEX Reconsideration  (Read 330046 times)

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Reconsideration
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
When I spoke to the reps at recon, they said it that they would not ding me with another inquiry, but I haven't checked my credit report yet.  I was IA for 2 Amex, and recon'd for the other two totaling 4 amex with supposedly one inquiry since it was all done within one day per the rep.  I guess it's YMMV.
well maybe you should check your credit report

Offline princea143

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:59 PM »
well maybe you should check your credit report
It's still early I think.  I only applied last 2 weeks.  Plus, I checked my score 797, so I'm not too worried.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
It's still early I think.  I only applied last 2 weeks.  Plus, I checked my score 797, so I'm not too worried.
right but  i still dont want multiple inquiries so close together just for a sign up bonus

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
I just got the line "you can't apply for more than 2 cards within 90 days," which I totally understand is just a HUCA situation - fine. But the status of my application changed from still pending to Canceled.

Will that mean there is nothing for them to reconsider? Or that's standard, and I should just be patient and go through the recon process?

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »
As an update to a recent posting about earning AA miles but not having them post to my AA account, I again called Citi today.  I was told that when I applied for my Citi Business card, AA was overhauling their system - probably relating to the merge with US Air.  Because of the timing of my application and the resulting glitches, my AA miles never posted to my account.  The CS rep said there are 1 million accounts in the same boat as mine.  She did say she would try to push my request through manually.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »
As an update to a recent posting about earning AA miles but not having them post to my AA account, I again called Citi today.  I was told that when I applied for my Citi Business card, AA was overhauling their system - probably relating to the merge with US Air.  Because of the timing of my application and the resulting glitches, my AA miles never posted to my account.  The CS rep said there are 1 million accounts in the same boat as mine.  She did say she would try to push my request through manually.
umm, wrong thread
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Just so it's available to people looking - my experience with Amex http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=16024.msg769251#msg769251

The line about no more than 1 or 2 or 3 in one day is BS. I did 5.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
Just so it's available to people looking - my experience with Amex http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=16024.msg769251#msg769251

The line about no more than 1 or 2 or 3 in one day is BS. I did 5.
its not BS its simply YMMV
last week i got 4 instantly approved without even having to call
other ppl haven thad success

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
its not BS its simply YMMV
last week i got 4 instantly approved without even having to call
other ppl haven thad success
The BS is that they said they only process one a day and it's impossible to do more than one.  At least they can be honest and say we won't do yours today ro can't for whatever reason. I get pissed off when CSR's blatantly lie.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Looking for some advice. As part of an AOR I applied for my first Amex card (PRG, which with the cc match from Creditcards.com (sorry Dan!) was supposed to get me 50k).

I was denied, called up, asked for it to be reviewed and was denied again.

They said my Experian score was 725, and the reasons they gave for declining (both times) were:
a) the length of time of accounts is not long enough (oldest account is 5 years)
b) number of account delinquencies (I made a 60-day late payment to Target 5 years ago)
c) lack of recent installment loan (I live in Israel and don't have a mortgage or car loan in America)
d) number of credit inquiries in last 12 months (I'm not sure how much of the AOR they saw- before it, I had only 3 inquiries).

I asked the CSR if I'd be able to discuss with him the reasons he read to me, and he said all he could do was submit it for review again (and that I'd be denied).

Any advice as to what the next step is? I saw people before have mentioned asking for a supervisor- is that really a viable route?
I don't know if this is relevant, but feel like I've spoken with a call center in India every time I've callen- are CSRs from different locations able to make more decisions themselves?
TIA!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
I have 4 AMEX cc's. If you want to get a different new one (not a churn), is it suggested to close one of my existing cards before applying, or keep it open and offer to close it when I call recon? (I guess it's not really an offer to close it if they don't let you have more than 4 cards, but you know what I mean.)

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
Looking for some advice. As part of an AOR I applied for my first Amex card (PRG, which with the cc match from Creditcards.com (sorry Dan!) was supposed to get me 50k).

I was denied, called up, asked for it to be reviewed and was denied again.

They said my Experian score was 725, and the reasons they gave for declining (both times) were:
a) the length of time of accounts is not long enough (oldest account is 5 years)
b) number of account delinquencies (I made a 60-day late payment to Target 5 years ago)
c) lack of recent installment loan (I live in Israel and don't have a mortgage or car loan in America)
d) number of credit inquiries in last 12 months (I'm not sure how much of the AOR they saw- before it, I had only 3 inquiries).

I asked the CSR if I'd be able to discuss with him the reasons he read to me, and he said all he could do was submit it for review again (and that I'd be denied).

Any advice as to what the next step is? I saw people before have mentioned asking for a supervisor- is that really a viable route?
I don't know if this is relevant, but feel like I've spoken with a call center in India every time I've callen- are CSRs from different locations able to make more decisions themselves?
TIA!
Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Offline rng

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
I have 4 AMEX cc's. If you want to get a different new one (not a churn), is it suggested to close one of my existing cards before applying, or keep it open and offer to close it when I call recon? (I guess it's not really an offer to close it if they don't let you have more than 4 cards, but you know what I mean.)
anyone have any advice on this?

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
I did a 3BM last nt for Amex Platinum (personal), Amex Mercedes Platinum and Amex Blue Cash Preferred (old offer). Status on all three is "In Progress".  I currently have 3 open personal accts (SPG, PRG and Blue) and 3 open business accts (Green Rewards, SPG and Delta).
Understanding that they may tell me I have too many open accounts, does it make sense to call reconsideration no regarding the status of my 3 applications, or to wait and whether the status changes on them, and hopefully some go through on their own?

thx

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
I did a 3BM last nt for Amex Platinum (personal), Amex Mercedes Platinum and Amex Blue Cash Preferred (old offer). Status on all three is "In Progress".  I currently have 3 open personal accts (SPG, PRG and Blue) and 3 open business accts (Green Rewards, SPG and Delta).
Understanding that they may tell me I have too many open accounts, does it make sense to call reconsideration no regarding the status of my 3 applications, or to wait and whether the status changes on them, and hopefully some go through on their own?

thx

Often they put multiple apps on hold, just to confirm that they are not mistakes. I'd suggest you call.

Although, if it's not on the same calendar day, you may get another pull when you call reconsideration...

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
Often they put multiple apps on hold, just to confirm that they are not mistakes. I'd suggest you call.

Although, if it's not on the same calendar day, you may get another pull when you call reconsideration...

Called Amex, and they pushed through approvals for the personal Platinum and Platinum Mercedes. For the Blue Cash Preferred (old program), they transferred me to another department and I was told that I already have 4 open credit cards SPG personal, SPG business, Blue Cash Preferred (new program) and Delta Gold business, and that I will have to close one of those accounts if I want to get approved for the Blue Cash Preferred.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to get around this?

thx

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »
Called Amex, and they pushed through approvals for the personal Platinum and Platinum Mercedes. For the Blue Cash Preferred (old program), they transferred me to another department and I was told that I already have 4 open credit cards SPG personal, SPG business, Blue Cash Preferred (new program) and Delta Gold business, and that I will have to close one of those accounts if I want to get approved for the Blue Cash Preferred.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to get around this?

thx

Dan mentioned serval times that there is a hard limit of 4 cards (not including charge cards).

I'm not sure if the fact that some are business and some are personal would change anything.

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »
Dan mentioned serval times that there is a hard limit of 4 cards (not including charge cards).

I'm not sure if the fact that some are business and some are personal would change anything.

I gave up my business SPG account for the new personal acct. Figured that's the best approach since business bonuses aren't going away.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »

I gave up my business SPG account for the new personal acct. Figured that's the best approach since business bonuses aren't going away.
Was going to do that as well.

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
Amex recon at 866-314-0237 is down?😳