Author Topic: dental school  (Read 21006 times)

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
dental school
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:23:56 AM »
just wondering- cus i know didly squat about college and the professional world, is it at all possible to become a dentist at the age 28 with no previous schooling (were still checking if theres an actual high school diploma :) ) Open to ideas.... Also how long will it take (i was readin about 8 years- any way the jewish pple know how to shorten that?) If its a crazy idea- share with me why... thnks (and its about $100k i know as well)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: dental school
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »
You'd probably need 4 years of undergrad+4 years dental school at a minimum.  And then most have a 1 or 2 year residency after that though it's not required.
And you're looking at spending $400K on tuition I'd estimate.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:27:19 AM »
You'd probably need 4 years of undergrad+4 years dental school at a minimum.  And then most have a 1 or 2 year residency after that though it's not required.
And you're looking at spending $400K on tuition I'd estimate.
hmm howd u get 400k? i was reading tuition prices including books and equipment for 4 years (not including college) and its was 100k.. what did i miss?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »
I have a buddy in dental school in CLE.  I believe his tuition with equip is almost $70K a year.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:30:51 AM »
Possible to do undergrad in 2 and a half to 3 years. You need a BA which would include all the science per-reqs as well as a good score on the DATS.  But dental school itself is 4 years. The costs depends on where you got to school. if you live in the state you got to school then it will be much cheaper.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
Possible to do undergrad in 2 and a half to 3 years. You need a BA which would include all the science per-reqs as well as a good score on the DATS.  But dental school itself is 4 years. The costs depends on where you got to school. if you live in the state you got to school then it will be much cheaper.
correct. I was checking in houston tx- schools r good there and community is nice to live in for a few years. If your a resident of the state its 100k for 4 years of school. Not sure y CLE is loads more $$$ unless theres much i didnt read about...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »
Getting accepted to a dental school is not an easy task as there just aren't that many of them.
While some schools may receive public funding to subsidize tuition, they can be extremely difficult to get accepted to.
The dental school in CLE is recognized as being one of the best, and they charge the rates to prove it and it's still very hard to get in.

In OH there are just 2 dental schools, a public one in CMH and a private one in CLE, here are their tuitions with est living expenses:
http://dental.case.edu/dmd/finaid.html
http://dent.osu.edu/current_students/DDS/financial_aid/Cost.html

Offline DrDanny

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »
You could probably do the undergrad in less time if your Yeshiva gives you a BA and you just have the science chases left to take
I'm just speculating I don't know anymore than you about this

Offline Zeeeeks

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
You could probably do the undergrad in less time if your Yeshiva gives you a BA and you just have the science chases left to take
I'm just speculating I don't know anymore than you about this
To get into a good dental school, you probably need more then a BTL.

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
You need pre med as well.  Ner Israel in Baltimore has a program that you can start from scratch and do pre med in two years and then do the 4 years of dental school. 

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
You need pre med as well.  Ner Israel in Baltimore has a program that you can start from scratch and do pre med in two years and then do the 4 years of dental school. 
oh good info! thnks... and thanks e/o.. not sure if this will work out- but i feel with the right info we can maybe attempt it!!

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »
how can i get more info about ner yisroel programs? would you (or anybody else) know? and when u mean from scratch u mean including the "college" schooling hell need as well?

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »
how can i get more info about ner yisroel programs? would you (or anybody else) know? and when u mean from scratch u mean including the "college" schooling hell need as well?
Maybe call Ner Israel.  He can only be in Pre Med if he is enrolled in Ner Israel.  Once he is enrolled he officially has to be there for 6 months before he starts school. I do not understand the 2nd part of the question.  He needs to do 2 years of pre Med and then the 3 or 4 years of dental school.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »
If you do Touro you can do undergrad in 2 yrs including summers. You can do a CUNY in 3 yrs. Also, yeshiva degrees are getting accepted less and less at med schools and dental schools especially so you may want to think about getting a normal degree. You also have to rock the DATs in order to be competitive. And if you have a yeshiva degree you really need to destroy it. Dental schools range from 20k to 70K a year depending on state schools and private schools. Also depending on the state if your a non resident then you usually pay the first yr out of state tuition then the next 3 yrs is in state tuition (about half price)

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »
oh good info! thnks... and thanks e/o.. not sure if this will work out- but i feel with the right info we can maybe attempt it!!
So you/husband going for it?

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:01 AM »
So you/husband going for it?
i wish... dont have the funds

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
i wish... dont have the funds
Undergrad isnt that much as you can do the pre-reqs part time. Plus you can probably qualify for financial aid. And Dental School everyone takes out loans. If it really is a wish than there shouldn't be anything standing in your way and you should make it work.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 07:06:33 AM »
Undergrad isnt that much as you can do the pre-reqs part time. Plus you can probably qualify for financial aid. And Dental School everyone takes out loans. If it really is a wish than there shouldn't be anything standing in your way and you should make it work.
If only life were as easy as you are making it sound. Do loans cover kids tuition and rent etc.? Depending on each persons situation they may simply not qualify for such large loans. Plus the investment of living in horrible poverty for so many years and the debt you'll accumulate, will make it not worth while for many people.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 07:36:36 AM »
If only life were as easy as you are making it sound. Do loans cover kids tuition and rent etc.? Depending on each persons situation they may simply not qualify for such large loans. Plus the investment of living in horrible poverty for so many years and the debt you'll accumulate, will make it not worth while for many people.
wow easy there fella. Horrible poverty? Undergrad can be done while working full time. And if a spouse is working than you can take out loans to cover living expenses which can supplement the income. I didn't say it was easy but she says "she wishes", so I'm saying its possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »
wow easy there fella. Horrible poverty? Undergrad can be done while working full time. And if a spouse is working than you can take out loans to cover living expenses which can supplement the income. I didn't say it was easy but she says "she wishes", so I'm saying its possible.
You said "there shouldn't be anything standing in your way." That is simply not true in many cases.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)