List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Bora Bora Master Thread  (Read 248014 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Bora Bora Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »
I would've gone by now, but it's an extremely expensive 45 minute flight to get from PPT to BOB.  Only 1 carrier flies and they don't take miles!

There used to be SPG on Moorea, which is a short boat ride from PPT, but it became a Hilton, and I don't think you can reserve an overwater bungalow with Hilton points.

The St. Regis in Bora Bora is supposed to be fantastic and a great way to blow through tons and tons of Starpoints.  "Couples Retreat" was filmed entirely on the property if you want a nice tour of it.

I don't know if Bora Bora would be on the top of my list at the moment. It's completely overpriced and all of the French influence would really drive me crazy. Try the Maldives first

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »
I don't know if Bora Bora would be on the top of my list at the moment. It's completely overpriced and all of the French influence would really drive me crazy. Try the Maldives first
Have you been to Bora Bora?

From what I've read, the general consensus is that Bora Bora is an incomparably nicer island than the Maldives (highest elevation: 7ft.) or any other island for that matter.

And I can deal with French influence much better than Muslim influence.  In fact residents of the Maldives are forced to adhere to Islam and laws are based on sharia.

This is from an FT'er:
Quote from: FT
"It's not even close
Bora Bora is better by miles - indeed best by miles.

The St Regis and Le Meridien hotels are similar structurally to the W Maldives, but without the kitsch "hip" crap.

But Bora Bora the island just massacres the Maldives. It is physically far more beautiful - craggy mountains and deep bays as well as beautiful beaches, whereas the Maldives are flat and unattractive apart from the ocean.

Then there is the culture. Bora Bora is a gracious Polynesian paradise, with the music, the grass skirted dancers at dinner etc. And it's wealthy - the staff are all French citizens and protected by a high minimum wage. In contrast, the Maldives is effectively an offshore part of the Indian subcontinent."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:45:08 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 04:27:53 AM »
Have you been to Bora Bora?

From what I've read, the general consensus is that Bora Bora is an incomparably nicer island than the Maldives (highest elevation: 7ft.) or any other island for that matter.

And I can deal with French influence much better than Muslim influence.  In fact residents of the Maldives are forced to adhere to Islam and laws are based on sharia.

This is from an FT'er:

I have not been to Bora Bora (yet). If anyone is willing to watch my daughter for a week, I'm willing to "take one for the team".

I no longer trust the guys on FT for their opinions on these sort of things, though Bora Bora does look beautiful in the pictures.

As per the Muslim influence in the Maldives, you will have no interaction with them at all because you will be on your own Island where most of the employees are foreigners.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 10:17:49 AM »
I have not been to Bora Bora (yet). If anyone is willing to watch my daughter for a week, I'm willing to "take one for the team".
;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
I have never been to Bora Bora, but Ihave been to Papeete (the main island) and to Moorea. I went with my wife on our honeymoon in August 2006.
We flew from NY with a stop in Tahiti, then onto New Zealand where we spent one week. It was winter in New Zealand and cold (in the 40's and colder in some places). We drove around and I can tell being there twice already it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, especially the South Island.

On the way back to NY we stopped in Tahiti and stayed for a week. Spent a few days and Shabbos in Papeete, decent hotel. On Sunday we took a boat to Moorea, about a half hour away. What an island. A lot of the locals say that Moorea is just as nice as Bora Bora (some say even nicer) but a lot quieter since there are not as many tourists. We stayed in the Moorea Pearl Resort, very nice place, pretty pricey.

The ideal way to vacation is to stay in the over water bungalows - extremely expensive. I need to warn anyone that plans a vacation there, there are very few beaches and they are tiny. The beach in front of our hotel was maybe ten feet an not very wide. But the amazing thing is the water. Take ten steps into the water from our hotel and there is a drop where it becomes very deep and there is just a wall of coral, with amazing colorful fish swimming right up to you. I can't describe the feeling, you could just take snorkeling gear and be in the water for hours watching this stuff.

If anyone is interested in hearing more or need some tips, respond to this post. I would love to hear from someone else that went there.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
I have never been to Bora Bora, but Ihave been to Papeete (the main island) and to Moorea. I went with my wife on our honeymoon in August 2006.
We flew from NY with a stop in Tahiti, then onto New Zealand where we spent one week. It was winter in New Zealand and cold (in the 40's and colder in some places). We drove around and I can tell being there twice already it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, especially the South Island.

On the way back to NY we stopped in Tahiti and stayed for a week. Spent a few days and Shabbos in Papeete, decent hotel. On Sunday we took a boat to Moorea, about a half hour away. What an island. A lot of the locals say that Moorea is just as nice as Bora Bora (some say even nicer) but a lot quieter since there are not as many tourists. We stayed in the Moorea Pearl Resort, very nice place, pretty pricey.

The ideal way to vacation is to stay in the over water bungalows - extremely expensive. I need to warn anyone that plans a vacation there, there are very few beaches and they are tiny. The beach in front of our hotel was maybe ten feet an not very wide. But the amazing thing is the water. Take ten steps into the water from our hotel and there is a drop where it becomes very deep and there is just a wall of coral, with amazing colorful fish swimming right up to you. I can't describe the feeling, you could just take snorkeling gear and be in the water for hours watching this stuff.

If anyone is interested in hearing more or need some tips, respond to this post. I would love to hear from someone else that went there.

Awesome!
Did you have an overwater bungalow there?
I wish SPG still had a presence in Moorea...

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
I did not have an overwater bungalow, but it was amazing without it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »
I just noticed that Hilton has lowered their properties in Moorea and Bora Bora from category 7 to category 5!!!

This means just 35K/night for 1-3 night stays, 29,750/night for 4 night stays, 28K/night for 5 night stays, and 26,250/night for 6+ night stays!

Considering I just loaded up on HH points at .49cpp that makes stays there as low as $128.
$128 for Bora Bora?!?!?!?!  Sign me up!

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
I want in how did u get hh so cheap

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »
how about some cheap airfare... well here you go http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/tzoo11/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 12:01:16 AM »
I want in how did u get hh so cheap

Daily Getaways, bought like 1MM anticipating the WA J'lem, but this is an an incredible value for BB and Moorea!

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
how do u get there using *A

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »
u bought like 1M??????????

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 12:19:47 AM »
how do u get there using *A
*A is just on NZ via AKL IIRC.
With AA you have TN from LAX and with DL you have AF and TN from LAX.

All those flights are into PPT.  You need to purchase the 45 minute RT PPT-BOB jump with some $400-$500 cold hard cash.
PPT-MOZ is much cheaper than PPT-BOB, only about $100 RT.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:37:47 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
u bought like 1M??????????
It was a $4,900 investment, but with $900/night BB rooms going for $128 with points it seems worthwhile.
And who knows, maybe we'll get luck with J'lem pricing as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:25:10 AM by Dan »

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 12:33:46 AM »
I just noticed that Hilton has lowered their properties in Moorea and Bora Bora from category 7 to category 5!!!

This means just 35K/night for 1-3 night stays, 29,750/night for 4 night stays, 28K/night for 5 night stays, and 26,250/night for 6+ night stays!

Considering I just loaded up on HH points at .49cpp that makes stays there as low as $128.
pardon the ignorance i just searched a 6 night stay and it came out to be 35k night

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
pardon the ignorance i just searched a 6 night stay and it came out to be 35k night
You need to call to book the discounted VIP elite awards.

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »
Dan would you take your son to such a place?  I've thought about it but it seems like a couples place or a place you could bring older kids.

Btw, do you know of any other changes in Hilton categories?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »

Looking for a babysitter (in BOB)? I call dibs... :D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 04:27:25 AM »
But without paying, you do run the risk of not getting upgraded to an OWB.