Author Topic: Good Dentist  (Read 24875 times)

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Good Dentist
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
Hey anyone know a good dentist in the brooklyn/bp area that takes medicaids United Health Care Community Care (what used to be americhoice)?

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Good Dentist
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »
Dr. Eisenberger and Dr. Mermelstein http://www.drstevenmermelstein.com

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
Thanks. Did you have any experience with either of them?

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
Thanks. Did you have any experience with either of them?
both, family and I all use them. PM me if you need any additional info

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for anywhere in NYC?

(FTR, the above mentioned dentists don't even take the above mentioned insurance anymore)

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »
Most dentists that take medicaid are gonna be mills ie they see as many patients as possible. If you want good comprehensive care and are on medicaid and have some time to kill i recommend going to a dental school...NYU or Columbia in NYC.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
Most dentists that take medicaid are gonna be mills ie they see as many patients as possible. If you want good comprehensive care and are on medicaid and have some time to kill i recommend going to a dental school...NYU or Columbia in NYC.
Who are the dentists?  Residents?  Interns?

Offline chaimmayer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Worth a try??? :D :D :D
I got my root canal done in Ukraine a few months ago for a whopping $12.

He did a pretty decent job too.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »
Does anyone here go to the dentist??! :o  ::)  ;D  :-\

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Good Dentist
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:21 PM »
You've gotta have lots of time to kill. I tried it once...

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22:04 PM »
FYI, from NYU:

"Who provides my treatment?

NYUCD trains future dentists, therefore the person providing your treatment will be a dental student who has advanced to the patient- treatment phase of their training. All care is closely supervised by expert faculty to ensure you are getting the best care possible."

Regarding the others, FTR, Contrary to what you wrote, Columbia (and Mt. Sinai, both) don't accept medicaid.

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:19 AM »
Yes, it will be by a dental student and it will be supervised by faculty. What I can tell you is this....you will often get better care/work done in the dental school environment than in private practice...especially if you will be going to a medicaid mill. They will be thorough and comprehensive and at least you can see what you need done from an honest perspective. The dentists who are the leaders in the field and are teaching future dentists will oversee everything. The chance of you receiving unnecessary treatment is a lot lower than going to your average dentist and that is the sad truth.

For the record...I am a dentist. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »
Yes, it will be by a dental student and it will be supervised by faculty. What I can tell you is this....you will often get better care/work done in the dental school environment than in private practice...especially if you will be going to a medicaid mill.
+1
For the record...I am a dentist. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.
Wow! so we've got our very own DDF DDS :)

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:48:50 AM »
If you can't find a decent dentist that takes medicaid another option would be going to one of the hospitals that have dental residencies. It will be quicker and you will have a recent graduate from dental school, not a dental student. There are many programs in NY. Montefoire, St Barnabas, Maimonides, Lutheran...just to name a few.

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
+1Wow! so we've got our very own DDF DDS :)

Lol I actually am a DDF DMD...but they are equivalent degrees ;)

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:53:51 AM »
Yes, it will be by a dental student and it will be supervised by faculty. What I can tell you is this....you will often get better care/work done in the dental school environment than in private practice...especially if you will be going to a medicaid mill. They will be thorough and comprehensive and at least you can see what you need done from an honest perspective. The dentists who are the leaders in the field and are teaching future dentists will oversee everything. The chance of you receiving unnecessary treatment is a lot lower than going to your average dentist and that is the sad truth.

What about the chances of botching up?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »
If you can't find a decent dentist that takes medicaid another option would be going to one of the hospitals that have dental residencies. It will be quicker and you will have a recent graduate from dental school, not a dental student. There are many programs in NY. Montefoire, St Barnabas, Maimonides, Lutheran...just to name a few.
Isn't that something that most of us try to avoid - and for a good reason?
They don't have any experience + no reputation of being a good dentist.
There are just too many bad dentists out there which would make me not assume 'one is good until proven otherwise.'

No offence, just asking.

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
Obviously a good, experienced dentist you cant compare with your average dental student. But again, instructors are there checking every step of the way and they will jump in to fix things up if need be. If you need a complex root canal done....i would go to their specialty program for endo if you can request that. For the most part, I think you will get good care and really botching up badly is rare....even in dental school. But it can happen....and it also happens in private practice (where the dentist will probably be more cocky about it than the dental student).

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 01:10:13 AM »
Isn't that something that most of us try to avoid - and for a good reason?
They don't have any experience + no reputation of being a good dentist.
There are just too many bad dentists out there which would make me not assume 'one is good until proven otherwise.'

No offence, just asking.

Yes...but dental work can be quite expensive. If you have the money, I would recommend going to a top notch guy who is known to be the best. The OP was asking about a dentist that will accept medicaid. I dont think I know any top notch guys who do that. Most places that accept medicaid are dental mills who hire very recent grads so you are basically getting the same treatment. There are also many very good dental students and instructors in school who would do a much better job than some of the places that take medicaid. Again, I am comparing quality and comprehensive treatment provided by a dental school or dental residency to  a medicaid dental mill. I am not comparing them to a reputable dentist (who most likely wont be very cheap or accept medicaid).

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 01:24:20 AM »
Yes...but dental work can be quite expensive. If you have the money, I would recommend going to a top notch guy who is known to be the best. The OP was asking about a dentist that will accept medicaid. I dont think I know any top notch guys who do that. Most places that accept medicaid are dental mills who hire very recent grads so you are basically getting the same treatment. There are also many very good dental students and instructors in school who would do a much better job than some of the places that take medicaid. Again, I am comparing quality and comprehensive treatment provided by a dental school or dental residency to  a medicaid dental mill. I am not comparing them to a reputable dentist (who most likely wont be very cheap or accept medicaid).
Got it. I got carried away, I forgot the OP's question  :)