Poll

Did you catch the 4 mile hong kong deal and book and get ticketed??

YES
81 (28.5%)
NO
35 (12.3%)
CONFIRMED BUT NO TICKET
1 (0.4%)
MISSED THE DEAL
167 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong  (Read 294614 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1440 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:38 AM »
Why do you think so?
Its so easy to take revenge and -1 back in his face.
No need to be a big boy for that.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1441 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »
OUCH! I guess I am not ready to play with the big boys yet.....
I'm not a big boy and you're entitled to your own opinion. I was just expressing that I disagree.
I think the DOT's logic was very sound.
And I think it was not at all out of place for them to tell you that you still have the legal right to sue
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
To me that sounds like they think United screwed up but don't want to take them on because they know United will be pissed off, and you probably don't want to piss off the largest airline in the US. I am shocked that they even mentioned lawsuits. So unlike a government agency to suggest that.

Any way you slice it, this is a copout by the DOT. And there's no possible reason that it could take them this long to reach the "conclusions" in their email.

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 12, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
"Our review found that the actual price of the advertised fare was never clearly stated during the booking process, thereby creating ambiguous circumstances in which it could be reasonably interpreted that the actual price of the fare was significantly more than the amount consumers paid at the time they attempted to purchase the fare, e.g., $40 plus 4 frequent flyer miles.  Therefore, we are not able to establish that consumers, in fact, paid the full amount of the offered fare at the time of purchase."

This isn't true. There may have been conflicting information displayed on the website during the purchase, but there was, in fact, a point in the purchase where the "4 miles" price was displayed.  DOT's explanation seems to imply that consumers were never actually offered the 4-mile fare, just that their balances were mistakenly "charged" only 4 miles.

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
"Our review found that the actual price of the advertised fare was never clearly stated during the booking process, thereby creating ambiguous circumstances in which it could be reasonably interpreted that the actual price of the fare was significantly more than the amount consumers paid at the time they attempted to purchase the fare, e.g., $40 plus 4 frequent flyer miles.  Therefore, we are not able to establish that consumers, in fact, paid the full amount of the offered fare at the time of purchase."

This isn't true. There may have been conflicting information displayed on the website during the purchase, but there was, in fact, a point in the purchase where the "4 miles" price was displayed.  DOT's explanation seems to imply that consumers were never actually offered the 4-mile fare, just that their balances were mistakenly "charged" only 4 miles.
I tend to agree with you that the DOT's explanation is weak, nevertheless this is their conclusion and there is no other recourse (other than SCC or a class action, both of which I think would be a waste of time unless you have particular circumstances different than most people).  I consider this to be officially over

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1445 on: October 12, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
To me that sounds like they think United screwed up but don't want to take them on because they know United will be pissed off, and you probably don't want to piss off the largest airline in the US. I am shocked that they even mentioned lawsuits. So unlike a government agency to suggest that.

The US is not scared of "taking on" big corporations...

See US v. Microsoft.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 12, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »

The US is not scared of "taking on" big corporations...

See US v. Microsoft.

I think it's safe to assume the DOT has a far greater interest in maintaining a good working relationship with United Airlines, than the Dept of Justice is interested in maintaining a any relationship with Microsoft.

Offline eis517

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #1447 on: October 12, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

I think it's safe to assume the DOT has a far greater interest in maintaining a good working relationship with United Airlines, than the Dept of Justice is interested in maintaining a any relationship with Microsoft.

+1

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1448 on: October 12, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »

I fail to see the distinction.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline eis517

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
I fail to see the distinction.

DOT works mainly with airlines, of which United is the biggest. DOJ deals with thousands oif various companies. ALso, the goal of the DOT and the goal of the DOJ are very different.

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 12, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »
DOT works mainly with airlines, of which United is the biggest. DOJ deals with thousands oif various companies. ALso, the goal of the DOT and the goal of the DOJ are very different.

+1

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 12, 2012, 03:39:53 PM »

They both regulate industry.

Any curtailing of either company has a direct affect on the economy (customers, employees, shareholders, management).

It's not like UA can just "take their ball and go home" if DOT chose to get all up in UA's business over this fare mistake.

Offline eis517

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 12, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
They both regulate industry.

Any curtailing of either company has a direct affect on the economy (customers, employees, shareholders, management).

It's not like UA can just "take their ball and go home" if DOT chose to get all up in UA's business over this fare mistake.

yes, they both regulate industry, but the DOT only deals with transportation, of which United is a huge and integral part. DOJ deals with all industries. If they felt United really violated the law they would have gona after them. But the way I read the statement was that United screwed up, but this wasnt worth the DOT going after them for. Had it been a much worse offense, they would have, but they ahve to pick their battles with United...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 12, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
yes, they both regulate industry, but the DOT only deals with transportation, of which United is a huge and integral part. DOJ deals with all industries. If they felt United really violated the law they would have gona after them. But the way I read the statement was that United screwed up, but this wasnt worth the DOT going after them for. Had it been a much worse offense, they would have, but they ahve to pick their battles with United...

I think this guy has a point, it's the same way the FCC is in bed with the big telecoms, the FAA with the big airlines, the FDA with the food conglomerates etc. This country is way too corrupt...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1454 on: October 13, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
if DOT chose to get all up in UA's bidness over this fare mistake.

FTFY. ;D

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: October 13, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
I'm going to tell the DOT that since it priced my infant's fare correctly (over 1k), I had reason to believe that the process was correct.
Think it has over a 2% chance of working?

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1456 on: October 13, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
I'm going to tell the DOT that since it priced my infant's fare correctly (over 1k)

I'm guessing that now is a bad time to tell you that you should have just spent another 4 miles on your infant, right? ;)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 13, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
This country is way too corrupt...
+1
We need a master reboot.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #1458 on: October 14, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »
Latest polls show we're on the way.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 14, 2012, 01:31:25 AM »
+1