Poll

Did you catch the 4 mile hong kong deal and book and get ticketed??

YES
81 (28.5%)
NO
35 (12.3%)
CONFIRMED BUT NO TICKET
1 (0.4%)
MISSED THE DEAL
167 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong  (Read 295214 times)

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1200 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
If complaints to DoT end up getting honored will that mean anyone who didn't complain wont get their ticket honored too?
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline leeboy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
I really do not see why people are so upset at filling a DOT complaint. Airlines take advantage of costumers all the time when the costumer has no other choice.. Like leaving them in the plane delayed for hours, finding every excuse to cancel a flight etc. just try and get off the plane while they you are delayed on the runway, you will end up in jail. Therefore we have something called DOT which is suppose to watch over these big busters who feel they can just control their passengers in a lot of time in inhuman ways with no repercussion... True they charge for whatever they want, but they have no right to control people just because by law your pretty much stuck. If you were left stuck in an airport for 12 or 15 hours because of airplane maintenance with no power what so ever to do anything and treated as an animal on a leash at the mercy of the airline you would understand. How about important business meetings or weddings and the like that people get bumped or delayed for no good reason only to be compensated with some voucher for future flights
Common now, I aint got no mercy for the airlines

Offline leeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »
If complaints to DoT end up getting honored will that mean anyone who didn't complain wont get their ticket honored too?
Chicken :)

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »
BTW, in browsing through DoT guidance, I came across this article which provides that an airline cannot advertise a "free" flight if the customer still has to pay for tax and fees portion of the airfare. Although not directly on point, this could be useful to show that the DoT has previously held that fees and taxes are part and parcel of payment for airfare as a whole and thus our tickets fall within paid airfare.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/Use%20of%20the%20word%20free%20in%20fare%20advertisements.pdf
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline WhyAich

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1204 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
Time to unpack :D

Sorry man, and for the many others.

For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
Chicken :)

Maybe. Or maybe I can't picture myself sticking it to United for a programming error. Knowing that the guy who slipped up on the PHP is prob going to lose his job because I feel like I deserve a first class trip to HK.

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 19, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
Maybe. Or maybe I can't picture myself sticking it to United for a programming error. Knowing that the guy who slipped up on the PHP is prob going to lose his job because I feel like I deserve a first class trip to HK.

He prob already lost his job

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 19, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
I hope that guy loses his job. I've suffered enough from their pathetic IT system. That is actually the one positive result. These people aren't up to the job.

ETA: its not the guy who made the mistake who's at blame, its his boss who didn't have a safe guard against the mistake.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 19, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
Sorry man, and for the many others.
I had loads of fun. Nothing to be sorry about.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »

Our best hope is that UA cancels a ticket for someone who is already on the way, leaving him stranded. That will ensure the public/media/DoT take our side.

Wonder what the regulations are in the other countries...
I wonder what happened to that FT member who flew his first leg and was in Denver for the night awaiting his next leg. Or was that his first leg?
And there was another guy who started his itin today but last I heard was still in the US awaiting 2nd leg.

Offline leeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 19, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
tried to change a ticket

Price Difference

Miles due 1,199,984 miles
Additional charge $238.40
Please exit the flight change process to buy or transfer miles and begin your search again

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 19, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »
Yes.
I don't like unilateral cancellations.  That's a violation of IATA and not honoring a mistake make this 2 violations.
IATA?

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 19, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »

So you are not comfortable complaining, but you will happily take the results of those immoral complainers? :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:52:28 PM by e-Lawyer »
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline Mordy788

• View Profile
Re: Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1213 on: July 19, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
did the guy at wsj ever reply to you?  maybe you should  email him again and tell him more ppl are bring canceled with out being notified first

My tickets were cancelled as well. I was not contacted nor was I refunded my fees or travel insurance.

I let Scott at the WSJ know. Lets see what happens.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 19, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »

So you are not comfortable complaining, but you will happily take the results of those immoral complainers?

I didn't say they were 'immoral'. You said that. I just said I can't see myself doing it. For now I'm not going to do anything. Whatever happens happens.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
Re: Re: PRICING MISTAKE: 4 miles from Hong Kong
« Reply #1215 on: July 19, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
I let Scott at the WSJ know. Lets see what happens.
Thanks!

Offline leeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
The latest official statement..

Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1217 on: July 19, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
Wow, nd you should be complaining big time!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mordy788

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 19, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »
DOT complaint has been filed.
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

Offline leeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
The latest official statement..

Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

How about the hotels/cars people booked, I know one person who changed other tickets to catch the deal... really bad communication on UA's part