Topic Wiki

http://www.coolnycprogram.com/
ConEd is running a program together with a company called ThinkEco called coolNYC. They are providing free units to NYC residents that plug in between your AC and outlet that act as a timer, thermostat, and energy monitor.

"During demand response for coolNYC, your window air conditioners will turn on and off at a slightly higher thermostat setting so that it's used less overall, but in a way that keeps your home sufficiently cool. You'll be notified a day ahead of any events, and you always have the choice to opt in or out, each time - opt outs can happen both before and during the event. Most summers, there is a need for just 2-4 demand response event."

You get to keep the modlet even after the summer is over its great for shabbos and yom roc you can set up the timer you can control your ac from wherever you are from the app or from the website portal it's only for nyc residents if you order 2 or less you will get a USB receiver that has to connect to a computer if you order 3 or more you get the gateway that plugs into your router

Customer Service: 1-800-682-0152
« Last edited by DovtheBear on May 31, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »

Author Topic: CoolNYC - free smartAC program  (Read 40556 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: CoolNYC - free smartAC program
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
BTW, it seems the device is only free for those who reside in large apt buildings (typical CH Fisher buildings would fit that category), not for private houses or condos/complexes..

The email invite from ThinkEco I mentioned earlier stated explicitly any NYC resident is eligible. The part about the large buildings is because they are working proactively to get the smartAC program in use in those buildings. I live in a garden apt complex and my bro-in-law has a house, and we were both able to get it no problem.

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:41 PM »
just got my package...looks amazing, cant wait to set it up!

thanks OP!!!
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
i cant believe i missed this while i was away i just signed up looks awesome

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
I signed up and received the package. Because of the difficulty I only used it for a day. If I could send it to someone without repercussion from NYC your welcome to it. I didnt like that the USB stick always had to be plugged in (especially since I dont have a desktop at home). If someone would like to read the fine print and let me know if I can give it away let me know.

Offline kangaroo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
got it. takes quite some time to set up.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
There is a program rolling around lately for completely free window AC units, one of the eligibility requirements are that you don't have another AC unit in your home, so this is your first one (how do they prove that? I dont know).
Didn't get yet more details on this, as well as if there is other eligibility requirements such as income, (I believe there is).
Will post as soon I have more accurate info.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
There is a program rolling around lately for completely free window AC units, one of the eligibility requirements are that you don't have another AC unit in your home, so this is your first one (how do they prove that? I dont know).
Didn't get yet more details on this, as well as if there is other eligibility requirements such as income, (I believe there is).
Will post as soon I have more accurate info.
The very first result when googling "free air conditioner": http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/free_air_conditioners_to_quali.html
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline yas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
I signed up and received the package. Because of the difficulty I only used it for a day. If I could send it to someone without repercussion from NYC your welcome to it. I didnt like that the USB stick always had to be plugged in (especially since I dont have a desktop at home). If someone would like to read the fine print and let me know if I can give it away let me know.
Mine did not come with a USB instead it came with a "Gateway" (looks like a modem) that plugs in to your router. If you call them they should be able to switch it for you.

Offline joesol

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
Just got my package today. Ill probably set it up on Sunday. Looks like it takes time.

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

same here. way too annoying and didnt seem to work right for me

Offline This is who I am

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
Just got my whole kit.. Did not set it up yet!!
Did anyone set it up and have a good review ?
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Offline shmu

• View Profile
    • Lulav and Etrog
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
Just got my whole kit.. Did not set it up yet!!
Did anyone set it up and have a good review ?

I know someone who instaled it two years ago. its a big pain. when it get too hot and ConEd wants  to conseve energy they will override your setting and shut off your cooling. you can then manually switch it back but its a pain having to do that all day.
my friend has a store and that's not good for business. he ended up just taking it out.
bottom like its a gimek..

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
I know someone who instaled it two years ago. its a big pain. when it get too hot and ConEd wants  to conseve energy they will override your setting and shut off your cooling. you can then manually switch it back but its a pain having to do that all day.
my friend has a store and that's not good for business. he ended up just taking it out.
bottom like its a gimek..

That's not how it works. They just had a 'demand response event' on 8/7 (that's what they call it when they want to be able to raise your thermostat). They emailed me the day before, and I had the opportunity to go to the website and opt out of the event. Once you do that, you're set for that 'event' and they won't change anything. They've only had one such 'event' this summer and they say usually it's not more than a few (<5 for sure).

As far as it being complicated or time consuming to set up, that certainly wasn't the case for me. Maybe 5 minutes total and it was pretty straight forward.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »
Interesting to see the different experiences people here have had with this program/gadget, they're מן הקצה אל הקצה  :-\

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »
Interesting to see the different experiences people here have had with this program/gadget, they're מן הקצה אל הקצה  :-\
I think a lot of it has to do with whether the functionality of the system adds significant value for each person. Some people have AC's with built in thermostats that work much better than the one included, and timers that they are comfortable with.

Offline This is who I am

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
i got a call from them today asking if i like it and how i had set it up..
i told them i didnt and they asked if they could send someone down to set it up for me .....
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
Mine did not come with a USB instead it came with a "Gateway" (looks like a modem) that plugs in to your router. If you call them they should be able to switch it for you.

+1 on this. I emailed them and they basically said the easiest way is to come to their office to switch it (they're at 128 Madison Ave in the city). I can't go myself, but I told someone else about it and they're going to stop by to switch both of ours.

It seems like they realized the USB stick was a bad idea, and now they're sending them out with the gateway instead.

Offline SBS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 03:19:34 PM »
Installed it today. How do I set up schedules / timers? I want to set up for Shabbos, to have the A/C running at different times.
Available for Sha'alos

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
Installed it today. How do I set up schedules / timers? I want to set up for Shabbos, to have the A/C running at different times.

mymodlet.com

If you don't have a login yet, set one up and then click the Savings Plans tab.

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »
Did any of you get the "free $25 gift" email?