Topic Wiki

http://www.coolnycprogram.com/
ConEd is running a program together with a company called ThinkEco called coolNYC. They are providing free units to NYC residents that plug in between your AC and outlet that act as a timer, thermostat, and energy monitor.

"During demand response for coolNYC, your window air conditioners will turn on and off at a slightly higher thermostat setting so that it's used less overall, but in a way that keeps your home sufficiently cool. You'll be notified a day ahead of any events, and you always have the choice to opt in or out, each time - opt outs can happen both before and during the event. Most summers, there is a need for just 2-4 demand response event."

You get to keep the modlet even after the summer is over its great for shabbos and yom roc you can set up the timer you can control your ac from wherever you are from the app or from the website portal it's only for nyc residents if you order 2 or less you will get a USB receiver that has to connect to a computer if you order 3 or more you get the gateway that plugs into your router

Customer Service: 1-800-682-0152
« Last edited by DovtheBear on May 31, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »

Author Topic: CoolNYC - free smartAC program  (Read 40588 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
CoolNYC - free smartAC program
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
ConEd is running a program together with a company called ThinkEco called coolNYC. They are providing free units to NYC residents that plug in between your AC and outlet that act as a timer, thermostat, and energy monitor.

I received mine (3 units) this week and while there are definitely some rough edges, it seems like a no-brainer for people with window AC's. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to go into great detail, but I encourage people to take a look and ask any questions you have about the program here, and I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: CoolNYC - free smartAC program
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
"During demand response for coolNYC, your window air conditioners will turn on and off at a slightly higher thermostat setting so that it's used less overall, but in a way that keeps your home sufficiently cool. You'll be notified a day ahead of any events, and you always have the choice to opt in or out, each time - opt outs can happen both before and during the event. Most summers, there is a need for just 2-4 demand response event."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »

Yup. As best as I can tell, if you choose to opt in to the 'Events' they give you $25 at the end of the summer, and if you opt out, you don't get the money. There don't seem to be any other ill effects to opting out, and the worst they can do is take back the units, in which case you'll have had these digital timers/thermostats for a summer for free.

ETA: Also, the way I'm reading it is that they bump you up a few degrees from your normal setting. If you're only using it as a timer then you can have it set way down in the 60's and still be fine when they raise it. It's all speculation of course, till I test it by opting in during an event.

Offline A European

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »

I received mine (3 units) this week and while there are definitely some rough edges, it seems like a no-brainer for people with window AC's. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to go into great detail, but I encourage people to take a look and ask any questions you have about the program here, and I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

+1

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
Is it only restricted to those buildings listed?

Offline A European

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
  I am regular crown h. Building and I got it.

Offline This is who I am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
will this cost anything ?
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
It didn't ask for a CC or anything so how will they charge you?

Offline This is who I am

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »
It didn't ask for a CC or anything so how will they charge you?
but what about long tearm... like a bill or what not ?

Offline A European

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
but what about long tearm... like a bill or what not ?
looks for me like totally free and by the way it's really cool ! For example I could turn on/off my air condition when I am not home from my smartphone !!!

Offline This is who I am

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
looks for me like totally free and by the way it's really cool ! For example I could turn on/off my air condition when I am not home from my smartphone !!!
That is awesome!!
i once saw something like this but it would blow the Ac out if it was used to much

Offline A European

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
Dan you don't think it's a good deal to be posted on dandeals.com? I never pm you  ;)

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
its only for nyc right?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Nope, you don't actually have to select a building, you can select where you heard about it, and if it's not on the list you can leave it at none. Someone from the ThinkEco team emailed someone in Hillcrest about the program and even lauded its benefits for Shabbos (ie knowing they were speaking to a Jewish audience). That person posted it on one of the shul groups. I selected 'responding to email offer' when I signed up.

Absolutely nothing. The only thing that can happen is they ask for it back (I believe in the T&C's they state that they have the right to do so). Also, as I mentioned earlier, if you don't 'participate' in the 'demand response events' (where they raise the temp on your thermostat to alleviate stress on the grid) you won't be able to get the $25 at the end of the summer. But they don't take any payment or billing info, so they can't charge you.

its only for nyc right?
Yup.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:16:36 AM »
Dan you don't think it's a good deal to be posted on dandeals.com? I never pm you  ;)
Maybe you should also add to that food stamps and medicaid  ::)

Oh, and lets not forget the lifeline free phones..  Ya know what, for that matter how 'bout posting the qualifications for section 8...
Free rentals!  Hoooray!  ;D

Do you need the address to your local federation or JCC?

Hhmmmm, does this web address end with .gov?  :-\

Dan, is Dansdeals.gov available?!  ;D

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »

Oh, and lets not forget the lifeline free phones..  Ya know what, for that matter how 'bout posting the qualifications for section 8...

Maybe you can spell it out, because I have no idea what you're trying to say. This is not a government program of any sort, and it does not have any qualifications of eligibility other than being open to NYC residents only (would not be the first location specific deal posted on DD).

Offline A European

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Maybe you can spell it out, because I have no idea what you're trying to say. This is not a government program of any sort, and it does not have any qualifications of eligibility other than being open to NYC residents only (would not be the first location specific deal posted on DD).
+1  :P

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

I can't see how you can compare CoolNYC to all those government handouts... One is run by ConEd and they obviously benefit from the program by being able to easily lower stress on the grid both on demand, and being that when customers finally have timers they will actually use them...

And the others... well you can fill in the rest by yourself...

Not saying Dan needs to post it... just my 2c

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
I guess I got confused with a NYC program I heard about recently which is supposedly giving out free A/C's (IDK details).

BTW, it seems the device is only free for those who reside in large apt buildings (typical CH Fisher buildings would fit that category), not for private houses or condos/complexes..

Come to think of it, I acually think it would be a great idea to have here some threads detailing every handout from Fetter Shmiel ;)

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »
I guess I got confused with a NYC program I heard about recently which is supposedly giving out free A/C's (IDK details).

BTW, it seems the device is only free for those who reside in large apt buildings (typical CH Fisher buildings would fit that category), not for private houses or condos/complexes..

Come to think of it, I acually think it would be a great idea to have here some threads detailing every handout from Fetter Shmiel ;)

I think you might be thinking of a $25 rebate for new air conditioners, as opposed to giving out free air conditioners