Author Topic: Mindy Meyer for senate  (Read 25596 times)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
Re: Mindy Meyer for senate
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
As I said to a friend yesterday, "It's like she's run out of the house, and we're the only ones who realize that she did so without clothes."

I mean, where the hell are the people she looks up to? The people advising her?

Someone needs to pull this girl aside and explain the hard truth to her.
+1

She explains that she is 'pro choice' because you can make choices like hiring a nanny or giving the baby up for adoption...
In that case we are all pro-choice.
Y'know, and, Y'know, and, Y'know

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »
I take back my comments,

I saw that last clip (starting at 3:32) and it was a composition of one bigger idiocy than the other.

Offline mow

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2012, 01:53:15 AM »
Comment from VIN :
TheBluntTruth Says: Report as Inappropriate
Wow another idiot from New York running for state senator! She is quite unintelligent and has no idea about anything in politics. She couldn't even name basic politicians they showed her on Fox News! She does not represent our community, she does not represent Orthodox Jews, and is a shame to Brooklynites in general. When someone uses Kim Kardashian and Legally Blonde as their foundation, you know they are insane. Her other ideas probably were: free candy, a hello kitty flag for New York, and the license plates should all be bedazzled.
Parents please drill into your kids a sense of normalcy. Do not be afraid that you will be a dream killer if you tell your child that they have an absurd ambition. You will save your child from much grief and pain.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Comment from VIN :
Wow another idiot from New York running for state senator! She is quite unintelligent and has no idea about anything in politics. She couldn't even name basic politicians they showed her on Fox News! She does not represent our community, she does not represent Orthodox Jews, and is a shame to Brooklynites in general. When someone uses Kim Kardashian and Legally Blonde as their foundation, you know they are insane. Her other ideas probably were: free candy, a hello kitty flag for New York, and the license plates should all be bedazzled.
Parents please drill into your kids a sense of normalcy. Do not be afraid that you will be a dream killer if you tell your child that they have an absurd ambition. You will save your child from much grief and pain.

+1

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »
+1
lol! Very cute... You know maybe you should run you know like you might have a chance you know.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »
lol! Very cute... You know maybe you should run you know like you might have a chance you know.

you know i'm giving you a choice to to give a choice to people or otherwise you have the choice you know not to give them the choice you know like

Where is the button to get plush text?

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Comment from VIN :
A sense of normalcy? Does that mean that being unique and different is to be frowned upon? That our children shouldnt strive to point out their own strengths?
I think this campaign is a joke but to take this message away from it is just wrong.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
A sense of normalcy? Does that mean that being unique and different is to be frowned upon? That our children shouldnt strive to point out their own strengths?
I think this campaign is a joke but to take this message away from it is just wrong.
really -a million? The comment isn't saying if your a great orator and know politics well to not run for senate He's saying if your kid knows relatively close to nothing about politics and is a horrendous orator THEN don't let them run for senate it's an embarrassment to them and their community. Let your kids be different but don't let them think they can fly andjump off  a building was his point. (this is for arguments sake)

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
really -a million? The comment isn't saying if your a great orator and know politics well to not run for senate He's saying if your kid knows relatively close to nothing about politics and is a horrendous orator THEN don't let them run for senate it's an embarrassment to them and their community. Let your kids be different but don't let them think they can fly andjump off  a building was his point. (this is for arguments sake)
the - a million is for the bolded comment and i stand by that.  the comment is using one case to tell parents to instill a sense of normalcy in their children and i disagree with that sentiment 100%. 
You may have changed the comment to what you believe but the OP never said anything about encouraging your children to be different if they have the skills necessary... like you are adding.  He made a blanket statement about encouraging your children to be "normal" and not try to do things that are different.  You dont get special people and amazing accomplishments by encouraging normalcy and discouraging risk taking.

I am sorry if you are embarrassed by this girl, maybe don't worry so much about what other people are judging you for.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:49:24 AM by springles »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
the - a million is for the bolded comment and i stand by that.  the comment is using one case to tell parents to instill a sense of normalcy in their children and i disagree with that sentiment 100%. 
And you are completely taking it out of context. As I showed in my previous comment. If your kid was 22 and decidedto be  a professional runner but he is grossly over weight and short wouldn't you let him know maybe starting in school is a better idea to get a life career? You would just let your kid do ANYTHING they want and sit there and smile? Isn't it a parents duty to help kids make an informed decision based in the talents they have as to what their life goals should be?

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
And you are completely taking it out of context. As I showed in my previous comment. If your kid was 22 and decidedto be  a professional runner but he is grossly over weight and short wouldn't you let him know maybe starting in school is a better idea to get a life career? You would just let your kid do ANYTHING they want and sit there and smile? Isn't it a parents duty to help kids make an informed decision based in the talents they have as to what their life goals should be?
I do not believe i am taking anything out of context.  The priginal comment was that as parents we should drill a sense of normalcy into our children.  If they have absurd ambitions we should tell them so.  Well what is an absurd ambition? And at what point do you support your child's decision instead of telling them how idiotic it is? I believe that a parents first job is to support their children.  If my kid was 22 and decided to be a professional runner but was overweight I would support that decision and help my child lose weight and train to run so that they can attempt to reach their goal.  Are you saying that to do this the child must drop out of school? Then I talk to my child about this decision but that isnt a congruent analogy at all.  Mindy Meyer is not dropping out of school to do this.  She is not losing anything at all by doing this.  And if she was then that would be her decision.  Its foolish to look at this and say, "parents should discourage children from attempting things that they believe may be out of reach."

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
I do not believe i am taking anything out of context.  The priginal comment was that as parents we should drill a sense of normalcy into our children.  If they have absurd ambitions we should tell them so.  Well what is an absurd ambition? And at what point do you support your child's decision instead of telling them how idiotic it is? I believe that a parents first job is to support their children.  If my kid was 22 and decided to be a professional runner but was overweight I would support that decision and help my child lose weight and train to run so that they can attempt to reach their goal.  Are you saying that to do this the child must drop out of school? Then I talk to my child about this decision but that isnt a congruent analogy at all.  Mindy Meyer is not dropping out of school to do this.  She is not losing anything at all by doing this.  And if she was then that would be her decision.  Its foolish to look at this and say, "parents should discourage children from attempting things that they believe may be out of reach."
I said those is for arguments sake because according to the comment mindy will for sure fail and have"much grief and pain." With that assumption as the guaranteed end result wouldn't you agree it would be better not to make a fool of yourself? And you think she won't slack in her studies while she is running or maybe she will take the year off.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
She is not losing anything at all by doing this.

I'd beg to differ.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
I said those is for arguments sake because according to the comment mindy will for sure fail and have"much grief and pain." With that assumption as the guaranteed end result wouldn't you agree it would be better not to make a fool of yourself? And you think she won't slack in her studies while she is running or maybe she will take the year off.
I dont really want to focus on mindy meyer because I think this campaign is a joke and it is highly unlikely for her to win.  I just took exception with the idea of encouraging our children to "play it safe" and aim for "normalcy."
Two days ago my 7 year old (very uncoordinated) son said that he wants to be in the olympics when he is older. I know that this is extremely unlikely but I didnt discourage him, I just told him about all the work and preparation these athletes put in and encouraged him to work hard at sports and maybe one day he will be that good.   
IMHO the orthodox jewish community in general discourages uniqueness and creativity and I dont like it. 
This conversation has gotten OT and thats really all I am going to say on the subject. 

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
I dont really want to focus on mindy meyer because I think this campaign is a joke and it is highly unlikely for her to win.  I just took exception with the idea of encouraging our children to "play it safe" and aim for "normalcy."
Two days ago my 7 year old (very uncoordinated) son said that he wants to be in the olympics when he is older. I know that this is extremely unlikely but I didnt discourage him, I just told him about all the work and preparation these athletes put in and encouraged him to work hard at sports and maybe one day he will be that good.   
IMHO the orthodox jewish community in general discourages uniqueness and creativity and I dont like it. 
This conversation has gotten OT and thats really all I am going to say on the subject. 
don't worry this is just shmooze the ot police don't have power here, besides our discussion is direct related to mindy. Point being I believe we agree just are arguing from 2 different points. Im arguing specifically in a case where your child is older should be making good concrete life decisions and instead is choosing to do something that will harm him in the long run. Your speaking about a young child who has dreams or an older child who wants to pursue something in their free time with minimal consequences... Am I right, or is there more we disagree on? 

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
don't worry this is just shmooze the ot police don't have power here, besides our discussion is direct related to mindy. Point being I believe we agree just are arguing from 2 different points. Im arguing specifically in a case where your child is older should be making good concrete life decisions and instead is choosing to do something that will harm him in the long run. Your speaking about a young child who has dreams or an older child who wants to pursue something in their free time with minimal consequences... Am I right, or is there more we disagree on?
we probably mostly agree although there might be some cases we may differ on.  As I said its really the idea of telling parents to "drill into their children a sense of normalcy" that I had an issue with.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
I'm loving the quotes for this New York Post Article:
Meyer, who scored a political science degree from Touro College, stopped to think when asked by a political Web site about the state’s chief executive, Andrew Cuomo. “Honestly, I’m not really familiar with him,” she told Capital New York last week. Meyer now insists she was misquoted and really, truly does know who the governor is, even if she’s not, like, totally sure of his political views. Asked to name one, Meyer, an Orthodox Jew, said she knew that Cuomo was “trying” to pass some gay-marriage legislation that she didn’t agree with. “People can be gay. I just don’t feel it’s a platform for marriage,” she said. Told that the governor has, in fact, already signed the bill into law, she said she wouldn’t fight to repeal it.
Meyer had a tough time recalling who ran for the White House in 2008, the year she first registered to vote.
“I voted against Obama,” she said, struggling to remember exactly whom she did vote for.
Although her gift with words rivals that of former GOP veep candidate Sarah Palin, Meyer said she’s not impressed by her.
“Sarah Palin is not one of my role models,” she said. “She’s just so oblivious to the issues.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
That doesn't top her

"oh, I'm not allowed to make a u-turn here"
"oh, I have to make a u-turn here because it'll take too long otherwise"
<makes u-turn>
"oh, when I'm in Albany, I'm going to be guided by my moral and ethical compass"

#stampoutcorruption!stampoutcorruption!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »
That doesn't top her

"oh, I'm not allowed to make a u-turn here"
"oh, I have to make a u-turn here because it'll take too long otherwise"
<makes u-turn>
"oh, when I'm in Albany, I'm going to be guided by my moral and ethical compass"

#stampoutcorruption!stampoutcorruption!
In addition to not wearing a seat belt the entire time in that car

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2012, 01:53:01 AM »
Guys, I see some people really got the M&M syndrome here.