Topic Wiki

All you need to know:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38212

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx
Click on "United air travel award rules:"
"You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® , even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office"

« Last edited by HolyNyc on February 02, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Author Topic: Plan B Discussion: Booking BusinessFirst Awards Without Availability  (Read 507583 times)

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
You need to ask an airport agent to manually place you on the list within 24 hours of the flight.

Thanks! But how do I get in touch with an airport agent without going down to the airport? (Let's not forget, there's already one person on the upgrade standby list, while there's only one seat open, hence no time to wait for tomorrow after checkin)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Thanks! But how do I get in touch with an airport agent without going down to the airport?
You don't.  Odds are that the other person does not have PR-1, but if its important to you you'll have to go to the airport at 24 hours prior to the flight to make sure you are the first PR-1 added to the list.

Fair warning that not all agents know what they're doing, it may take going to several to find the one that knows how to prioritize you as a displaced BF customer.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ssybp

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
ok so how do i start from scratch im new at this points thing- i have alot of points for continental i want to book a flight there is availability for the more expensive coach do you know if they usually open up more closer to the date.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
ok so how do i start from scratch im new at this points thing- i have alot of points for continental i want to book a flight there is availability for the more expensive coach do you know if they usually open up more closer to the date.
Are you new to the whole fourms thing too?   Please try to read through and search some of the forum posts first, and try not to reply to a post by getting way off topic like you are doing now.  You'll find that most of your questions have already been asked & answered.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Mileage Plus Rewards
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
if I book a flight in Saver Pass economy and at a later date I see Saver Pass business availability open up, can I upgrade without any trouble?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Mileage Plus Rewards
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
If paying $75 isn't called trouble, you can upgrade to anything you want, as long as you give the mileage difference.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
If paying $75 isn't called trouble, you can upgrade to anything you want, as long as you give the mileage difference.
$75 to change seats? Ya that's trouble.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
if I book a flight in Saver Pass economy and at a later date I see Saver Pass business availability open up, can I upgrade without any trouble?
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1894.0
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Anyone tried Plan B on new United?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
Anyone tried Plan B on new United?
Not that I've seen, however it seems that the CO backbone is running pretty much everything, so I'm quite hopeful.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
From this pageon United.com, it looks like its a go.

You may redeem miles for travel in United Global FirstSM, United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst , even if the space is not available.In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. For example, a Saver United First award must be confirmed in Saver United Economy to be eligible for waitlisting. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Reservations office.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
Awesome!  Please let us know if anyone tries it.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
Awesome!  Please let us know if anyone tries it.
+1 It is awesome. Never knew you could do that on CO.
I'm gonna do that but my trip ain't until Jan 2013. Hope someone chimes in before then.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
Don't know if this new or not, but I'm boarding a UA flight now and their iPhone app has been showing an 'upgrade list' complete with 3 letters of last name plus first initial (I want on the list ;()
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
Lol...CO has had that for many years.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
Lol...CO has had that for many years.
+1 Never used their iOS app before. Or anything else besides online check in for that matter
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »
Wait so if i pay 40k for a OW BF ticket in saver pass but the saver pass for coach is 20k, now say a seat doesn't open up for me, do I now pay saver pass coach at 20k or am u forced to pay the anytime fare which is 40k (same as bf in saver pass)?

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
Wait so if i pay 40k for a OW BF ticket in saver pass but the saver pass for coach is 20k, now say a seat doesn't open up for me, do I now pay saver pass coach at 20k or am u forced to pay the anytime fare which is 40k (same as bf in saver pass)?
if ur waitlist doesnt clear then u get the other 20k refunded

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For LAX-EWR-TLV for example even if LAX-EWR clears, if EWR-TLV does not you still get the extra miles refunded.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
Whats the chance that something opens up from LIH-HNL-EWR?