Author Topic: Insulation Help  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Insulation Help
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »
I have two problems re this issue.

1.  About two years ago, I sided my house, additional insulation and all.  Since then a front bedroom, always cold, is now frigid.  The walls are very cold and they radiate cold. 

2.  I have a bedroom above a kitchen.  Despite carpet in the bedroom, I can pretty much hear every word of a conversation in the kitchen below.  Normal level of speech.  No more shabbos afternoon nap.

Help.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Insulation Help
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
re 2, are the vents connected?

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
When we just recently redid our house I put in spray insulation - costs much more, but what a difference. Like night and day. Everyones complaining its too hot in my house when the heat is off! The only problem is I had all my walls open at the time. Not sure how good it would be if they're closed. As far as the flloor, same issue for you. We had it all open. Since we put a new kitchen above our tenants bedroom he put special stuff in the floor (cement, sand, something?) and I have no complaints. But again you may be talking about closed walls and floors. Speak to a HIGHLY recommended contractor. There are a lot of contractor horror stories. I had total mazel with a great one.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
re 2, are the vents connected?

No vents.

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
When we just recently redid our house I put in spray insulation - costs much more, but what a difference. Like night and day. Everyones complaining its too hot in my house when the heat is off! The only problem is I had all my walls open at the time. Not sure how good it would be if they're closed. As far as the flloor, same issue for you. We had it all open. Since we put a new kitchen above our tenants bedroom he put special stuff in the floor (cement, sand, something?) and I have no complaints. But again you may be talking about closed walls and floors. Speak to a HIGHLY recommended contractor. There are a lot of contractor horror stories. I had total mazel with a great one.
does the cement/sand and the spray insulation help for noise also or just warmth?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
I don't believe the spray insulation helps with noise. Whatever they put in my kitchen floor was also for noise and seems to work.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
I'm doing some work on my house the ceiling had to be opened up and I went up to take a look. T the insulation. In the summer it gets really hot as the roof is right over the second floor and the central ac is 30 years old. But when I went up I saw the insulation looks kind of flat and is crumbling and looks like it's falling apart. Knowing nothing about insulation, is this normal or should I have it replaced?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!