Author Topic: Rental Car Compensation Master Thread  (Read 4878 times)

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Rental Car Compensation Master Thread
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Couldn't seem to find a thread on the subject...mod - feel free to merge if I missed it.

Rented a while back at ORD and the agent just handed the keys over and said go...no look over no hello...was rude...the whole thing was strange.

Asked for the manager who comped the rental and apologized. (Hertz)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Rental Car Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »
Couldn't seem to find a thread on the subject...mod - feel free to merge if I missed it.

Rented a while back at ORD and the agent just handed the keys over and said go...no look over no hello...was rude...the whole thing was strange.

Asked for the manager who comped the rental and apologized. (Hertz)

Nice! And I don't believe there is such a thread (CMIIW) as I don't think rental compensation happens TOO often. But thanks for posting !
Always nice to get a free ride!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
Nice! And I don't believe there is such a thread (CMIIW) as I don't think rental compensation happens TOO often. But thanks for posting !
Always nice to get a free ride!

Really? I've had pretty good mazal with rental agencies...here's another.

I once rented for a day in YVR at Enterprise and there was an issue with the pickup service...showed up over an hour after they said they would...as I was driving to the USA, that meant hitting rush hour at the border and having to sit in line as I did not yet have Global Entry.

Manager comped. I think the managers are very good to customers at least at hertz and enterprise. It doesn't usually require much effort. It's a tough business and they know customers will leave if not satisfied. I've had great experience with the two. I have one more story that's still not settled but time will tell...

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
I had a AUX input that didn't work.
Called hertz said I did a bunch of driving and couldn't listen to anything.
I was given 600 hertz points (for whatever reason the points didn't post right away so I called and a csr manually posted the 600 points and the next day the original 600 posted for a total of 1200 points ;))

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
I had a AUX input that didn't work.
Called hertz said I did a bunch of driving and couldn't listen to anything.
I was given 600 hertz points (for whatever reason the points didn't post right away so I called and a csr manually posted the 600 points and the next day the original 600 posted for a total of 1200 points ;))

nice!

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
Next story to post...Does anyone else have a story to share?

Months ago saw a deal on a one week rental in YVR for $136 a/i w/ Hertz USAA...booked it as the rate can be twice that especially in peak season.

I made it starting monday for a week...turned out I needed to change it to sunday but the rate jumped to over $400! Went ahead and booked sunday as a one day award for 600 points.

As it got closer I tried calling the branch to try and change it to sunday and save my points but they didnt answer the phone all day until an employee answered an hour before closing and said that they were the only one in today and were too busy to deal with me - call the 800 number!

Wow...so I called 800 and spoke to a manager who emailed the branch manager with my request..a couple days went by and we were up to the day before the rental but I had not heard from them yet. I called 800 again and asked a manager what was going on.

He said all he could do was email the manager again this time marked urgent..he did that and the next day the manager finally called all apologetic. He'd been away and couldn't believe what had happened.

He seemed ready to deal so here is what we negotiated without any trouble or hassle.

1. Changed the rental start date to sunday, crediting back my points.
2. Comped the entire week rental.
3. Allowed me to return the car to SEA instead of YVR (w/o any fee!)

All it involved was a change of cars at YVR from a car w/ Canada plates to one with US plates.

They even upgraded me from a compact to full size upon pickup.

Moral of the story is be persistent, don't give up, and just follow thru with the system. The manager has the power to correct things when things go haywire. Way to go Hertz YVR!

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
rented cargo van twice. each time they called me up about an hour b4 and said there was a problem broke down/ windshield broke and they r trying to get me a new one. dont know how long. ended up only taking about an extra hour each time. 500 points

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 03:54:47 AM »
company:Hertz

i scheduled pick up for 5 PM and they came at 6:15 and we got to the location at 6:30 when they officially close at 6 when we got there the lights were already off and the manegar was very apolegetic and had the contract already printed with a single upgrade which i get anyways being 5 star, i complained that the least he can give me as compensation is the nicest car in the lotz, he said the computers are all shut so he just gave me a free tank of gas $60 value.

the door to the passenger kept on getting stuck when oppening it, when i returned the car i asked for a few $$ of  they said that since it has nothing to do with the actual driving and the driving was fine, they dont have to give me anything for it, so i called CS and they gave me 200 points.

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

I reserved a full size and they didnt have any premiums (per PC terms guaranteed upgrade). I just called to let them know that I didnt get my upgrade. I didnt even ask for anything. They gave me a choice of 500 hertz points or $75 voucher. I took the voucher.

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »
To bring back this thread from the dead (pun intended :P )
I rented this past pesach 2 weekly rentals, one the week before one the week after, both were roughly for $160 for a full size. The first car they gave me a Jeep Patriot (prez circle) which had mechanical problems (I'd be driving and suddenly the gas wouldn't catch and had to move the gears around) and then I discovered that the car was covered in dog hairs! I called up roadside assistance and they told me to go to EWR to trade in the car. When I arrive there the manager gets really upset at me for coming there and claiming they don't have cars etc. So I leave empty handed and the next day went to pick up a friend from JFK and traded in for a Towne and Country (fully loaded).
The next one they gave me a Passat (GREAT car!) which was just returned a month late (IYKWIM). They gave me the car on empty. Towards the end of the week it got hot and I realized (on sunday!) that the A.C. was not working. When I returned the car at JFK (running late for my flight) I was informed that the contract said I received the car on full! $168=gas
I called up got $205 refunded on the CC I used for the second rental and $40 refunded (gas and tolls to EWR) on first rental CC and 600 pts ;D ;D ;D

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
I parked my car at the Dollar Rental Car lot at LGA and when the woman behind the desk told the guy to bring out my car, she said 'ya that Jewish guy over there.'  Additionally, it took 2 calls to get them to pick me up at the terminal and another 20 minutes to get my car once I got to the lot.  They were not busy in the slightest.  Should I complain to the lot itself or Dollar corporate?

Offline HP58

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
I parked my car at the Dollar Rental Car lot at LGA and when the woman behind the desk told the guy to bring out my car, she said 'ya that Jewish guy over there.'  Additionally, it took 2 calls to get them to pick me up at the terminal and another 20 minutes to get my car once I got to the lot.  They were not busy in the slightest.  Should I complain to the lot itself or Dollar corporate?
I would say you'll have better luck with corporate.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »
you parked your car? what is the problem with calling you jewish?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:14:12 AM »
just to rub it in, I parked behind dollar for free

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
you parked your car? what is the problem with calling you jewish?
Imagine for a second a white cashier saying 'that black guy over there.'  Get the picture?
And to Moko, I usually do that as well and take the Dollar Shuttle for free, too long of a trip for alternate side this time.

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
Bringing a old thread back to life...

Hertz LAX charged me 30$ for gas. I refueled before coming to the airport. Only saw the charge on my online statement.

Chatted with Hertz via twitter showing them my receipt from gas station. Took about 5 minutes. Refunded me gas fee and gave me 650 points.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
Bringing a old thread back to life...

Hertz LAX charged me 30$ for gas. I refueled before coming to the airport. Only saw the charge on my online statement.

Chatted with Hertz via twitter showing them my receipt from gas station. Took about 5 minutes. Refunded me gas fee and gave me 650 points.
Nice, how long did it take them to respond from twitter?
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »
it might be just me, but in the past year and a half, Hertz has been very stingy with compensation
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
Opinions. My brother picked up a car from alamo last night in miami airport he drove it to where he was staying and then took the car out to pick up food. When he got back to the car 15 minutes later the car was entirely dead. Couldnt even unlock the doors. What should we be asking alamo for as compensation? any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Offline pcgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
I rented from Hertz a few weeks ago using my gold points to book a premium vehicle. They gave me a fs vehicle instead. I would've argued at the counter, but the location (Park Slope Brooklyn) was a madhouse. A few days later I called Hertz, and the rep offered to compensate with 100 points. I accepted not knowing if that's considered fair for Hertz compensations. Should I of asked for more?