Topic Wiki

IslandsKosherPoints HotelsZika StatusNotes
Puerto Rico    Chabad   St Regis x2, Ritz Carlton, W...etc     ???       80% of the Island doen't have power   

Feel Free to edit the wiki

Author Topic: Carribean Islands (Which One?) Master Thread  (Read 35606 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Carribean Islands (Which One?) Master Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
@sy guy  Thanks for the breakdown! I am dying to go to the Carribean so this should help. Was thinking about either Turks and Caicos or Cayman but now you have me thinking about SXM. How is the snorkeling and diving there? That is a big thing for me.

Offline sy guy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »
not a diver so don't know. Snorkeling was best in Cayman, and I have heard turks is fantastic. Barbados has great reefs but further off the beaches, the snorkeling beach side was mediocre.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
not a diver so don't know. Snorkeling was best in Cayman, and I have heard turks is fantastic. Barbados has great reefs but further off the beaches, the snorkeling beach side was mediocre.
How is the snorkeling in SXM?

On a side note you are lucky you found SPG availablity in the Carribean I have had a hard time finding in the past.

Offline robi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
Anyone ever stay at the sivory punta Cana? Or anywhere in punta Cana?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline sydynamix

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
Kosher in the Caribbean? (Trinidad, Jamaica and Barbados)
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2014, 02:51:40 PM »
I will be in Jamaica, Trinidad and Barbados (the Caribbean Islands) for 4 days at the end of January and wanted to know if there is any option of purchasing kosher food at any of those locations (I am assuming that there is no chance of davening with a minyan - but if you know otherwise please let me know).

Thank you in advance!

Offline arig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
Heading to SXM on Sunday for 3 days. :) staying on SPG points (16k per night) on a Plat acct- hope to get upgraded. emailed hotel about upgrade-they said they will do their best. also asked regarding storing double wrapped kosher meals/heating up and they wrote back they dont allow outside food on resort. they also turned down my request for a fridge. they did tell me that they offer frozen meals at $25 a pop from some caterer in miami called cohens. anyone have info on them? hotel couldnt provide any. A couple of other questions: 1. do they practice what they preach? ie. will they allow me to store/ warm up food once i am actually there (or for a couple dollars on the side)? 2. anyone ever requested a fridge there? 3. are the outlets there 120v? i was thinking about bringing a small toaster oven... also if anyone has any suggestions for activities there, that would be most appreciated. im thinking about scuba diving, para-sailing, and snorkeling. TIA

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
Heading to SXM on Sunday for 3 days. :) staying on SPG points (16k per night) on a Plat acct- hope to get upgraded. emailed hotel about upgrade-they said they will do their best. also asked regarding storing double wrapped kosher meals/heating up and they wrote back they dont allow outside food on resort. they also turned down my request for a fridge. they did tell me that they offer frozen meals at $25 a pop from some caterer in miami called cohens. anyone have info on them? hotel couldnt provide any. A couple of other questions: 1. do they practice what they preach? ie. will they allow me to store/ warm up food once i am actually there (or for a couple dollars on the side)? 2. anyone ever requested a fridge there? 3. are the outlets there 120v? i was thinking about bringing a small toaster oven... also if anyone has any suggestions for activities there, that would be most appreciated. im thinking about scuba diving, para-sailing, and snorkeling. TIA
I am going in April for 5 days so please keep me posted on your experience and please post a TR when you return. You can take a day trip to St Barts or Anguiila if you'd like. St Barts is a longer boat ride, although the boat leaves from Oyster bay which is where the Westin dawn bay is. (I am assuming that is where you are staying, you didn't specify, although there is only 1 SPG property on the island. Pinel island is a 5 minute ride where they are supposed to have good snorkeling.

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »
what cell phone did you guys use?
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline arig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »
i am not taking a cell, although i always have my AT&T phone at $2.50 a minute for emergencies. from what i've read, people have had no problems using skype and facetime on the island to call back home... u can rent a phone from some lady on the island that IS $20 a week rental fee and comes out to like .30 cents a minute to US and Canada. google search "queen of sxm", her name is Sharon.

Offline flyer1836

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »
St Martin, SXM for Westin Hotel shows no availability after December 20, 2014
2 reps on the phone says sold out?? Anyone have experience if they open up rooms?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
St Martin, SXM for Westin Hotel shows no availability after December 20, 2014
2 reps on the phone says sold out?? Anyone have experience if they open up rooms?
It's hard to imagine it's sold out for December. Likely they didn't open inventory yet.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:40 AM »
anyone here been to st lucia?

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
I am thinking of going to GCM in June (2 nights). SPG has a hotel there that looks nice and i could use spg points (already booked). I would fly into FLL (Southwest) and then take a taxi/shuttle to MIA and then fly to GCM (Avios). It seems like the best flight option for me. SXM and othe places seems very difficult to get to with respect to flights or don't have nice reasonably priced hotel options.
Any thoughts?

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »

I am thinking of going to GCM in June (2 nights). SPG has a hotel there that looks nice and i could use spg points (already booked). I would fly into FLL (Southwest) and then take a taxi/shuttle to MIA and then fly to GCM (Avios). It seems like the best flight option for me. SXM and othe places seems very difficult to get to with respect to flights or don't have nice reasonably priced hotel options.
Any thoughts?
i had a great time there last year

Offline soursticks

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
any recommendations on things to do or other tips?