Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 355847 times)

Offline Shmulyg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Barclays Reconsideration
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:07:42 AM »
Sorry for starting a new thread, but with the Barclays US Airways card becoming a force to be reckoned with in the churning world, and the limited information regarding this card on this forum, i felt compelled to do so.

So here's my question:

Does Barclays recon work like Chase that if you offer to transfer available credit lines, they agree in no time, or do they play it differently? Does anyone have actual real-life experience with this?

On a side note, i would like to report that HUCA doesn't work quite that well at Barclays, as they keep logs of your previous calls and the rep right away sees what the previous rep told you.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline daganster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:20:09 AM »
Sorry for starting a new thread, but with the Barclays US Airways card becoming a force to be reckoned with in the churning world, and the limited information regarding this card on this forum, i felt compelled to do so.

So here's my question:

Does Barclays recon work like Chase that if you offer to transfer available credit lines, they agree in no time, or do they play it differently? Does anyone have actual real-life experience with this?

On a side note, i would like to report that HUCA doesn't work quite that well at Barclays, as they keep logs of your previous calls and the rep right away sees what the previous rep told you.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I recently applied for 2 US airways cards and 1 Virgin America and was instantly approved for 1 US with a 10k credit line. I immediately called recon and asked to push the other to through, but she was reluctant since she saw that I had recently opened 8 credit cards so she told me that they would would love to approve more cards but I would need to wait 6-12 months use my cards and they'll determine later on if they could issue more cards to me. I began explaining why I had recently opened so many cards and asked her to transfer 5k from 1 US to the other which she ultimately agreed. My advice, be nice and honest with them and they'll be pretty accommodating as they aren't Indian robots reading off a text.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:23:27 AM »
I recently applied for 2 US airways cards and 1 Virgin America and was instantly approved for 1 US with a 10k credit line. I immediately called recon and asked to push the other to through, but she was reluctant since she saw that I had recently opened 8 credit cards so she told me that they would would love to approve more cards but I would need to wait 6-12 months use my cards and they'll determine later on if they could issue more cards to me. I began explaining why I had recently opened so many cards and asked her to transfer 5k from 1 US to the other which she ultimately agreed. My advice, be nice and honest with them and they'll be pretty accommodating as they aren't Indian robots reading off a text.

Thanks daganster for your experience!

I would love to hear from more of you so we can get a broader picture.

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
Do people typically close their us air card or downgrade?

Online Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »

I just now tried, but the lady i was speaking to was a mamzeres and refused to accept the application, i offered everything transfer lines, give small credit, close older ones etc..

Offline zek

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
I just now tried, but the lady i was speaking to was a mamzeres and refused to accept the application, i offered everything transfer lines, give small credit, close older ones etc..

If you spoke to her the way you speak in this post, she was probably smart to decline your application.

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
just know whenever you call barclays for a recon they pull your credit again.  even if you ask them not too; it's sop. 

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
just know whenever you call barclays for a recon they pull your credit again.  even if you ask them not too; it's sop. 
I usually close - open - close - open. It means losing the annual 10k bonus, but I think it's still worthwhile.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
I called recon and got 1 pull on total.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »
I usually close - open - close - open. It means losing the annual 10k bonus, but I think it's still worthwhile.
why don't you downgrade to a no annual fee card so that you still have the credit as leverage for recon?

Online Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

If you spoke to her the way you speak in this post, she was probably smart to decline your application.

:) I didn't was very nice and easy with her on the phone, but she wouldn't budge.

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
I called recon and got 1 pull on total.
checked all 3 reports a few days after the recon call?

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »
checked all 3 reports a few days after the recon call?
I  pulled last week all 3 credit bureaus a few days after applying and only saw 1. I also have identity monitor with citi I checked today and only see 1 inquiry and a new trade line with Barclays. I called recon right after I got approved for 1 card and asked for the others, if that means anything.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »

Dispute the second one with the CB.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 05:30:44 AM »
They pulled both my Experian and Equifax reports when i called recon (i explicitly told the rep not to pull them). Do i fight these inquiries through Braclays or the Credit Bureaus?

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 05:45:45 AM »
They pulled both my Experian and Equifax reports when i called recon (i explicitly told the rep not to pull them). Do i fight these inquiries through Braclays or the Credit Bureaus?

CB.

Offline harry

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
waste of time with barclays. after they pull your score and it is an excellent score, they then decide that "you have had too many open credit cards" lately and then go on to deny you.

and if you do research, you will see that it is very common practice with them.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
Isn't it illegal for them to pull your credit without your consent??? (or in my case - after explicitly telling them not to)

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »
Today i called them up and asked them to remove the inquiries from Experian and Equifax. After initially being denied, i was transferred to a supervisor who put me on hold and listened to my entire (recorded) phone call with the recon dept (ten minutes) on which i clearly tell the rep and the beginning of the call not to pull my credit report. After being on hold for some 12 minutes, the supervisor gets back on the line and tells me that yes there "seems to have been a miscommunication" and that he retracted the two pulls. He said i should see them gone within 30 days.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
Today i called them up and asked them to remove the inquiries from Experian and Equifax. After initially being denied, i was transferred to a supervisor who put me on hold and listened to my entire (recorded) phone call with the recon dept (ten minutes) on which i clearly tell the rep and the beginning of the call not to pull my credit report. After being on hold for some 12 minutes, the supervisor gets back on the line and tells me that yes there "seems to have been a miscommunication" and that he retracted the two pulls. He said i should see them gone within 30 days.

Glad it worked out.
"Not all who wander are lost"