Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 362343 times)

Offline gilkile

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #920 on: January 20, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
Called recon once was told i was declined because I already had a USAIRWAYS card. So i downgraded to arrival a couple weeks ago, tried recon again, they told me I was declined because I already have a USAIR. I told them that I have an ARRIVAL not a USAIR. Rep put me on hold, then got back on the line and said he saw that i recently converted a usair over to an arrival card and therefore I am ineligible!

Anybody have any advice? Is there anyway I can get still get this approved?? Shoiuld i just HUCA?? TIA!!

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 20, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
Called recon once was told i was declined because I already had a USAIRWAYS card. So i downgraded to arrival a couple weeks ago, tried recon again, they told me I was declined because I already have a USAIR. I told them that I have an ARRIVAL not a USAIR. Rep put me on hold, then got back on the line and said he saw that i recently converted a usair over to an arrival card and therefore I am ineligible!

Anybody have any advice? Is there anyway I can get still get this approved?? Shoiuld i just HUCA?? TIA!!

Id HUCA again. I was approved 48 hours after downgrading from my US AIR to the Arrival. Same logic of approval would apply here UNLESS the reason for rejection is a diff one.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eAge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 20, 2015, 03:11:08 PM »

You're not ineligible since you don't have the card now, it's just that the rep feels you're playing with the system, in that case you just need a good reason for what you did, like this one:
Wow! Just got approved for the card! Didn't think that would work out.

Rep: "Let me just check a few things, because I'm a little confused...you downgraded the card last week and then reapplied again?"
Me: "Uh..yeah?"
Rep: "And why would you do that?"
(Me (to self): don't mention the bonus, don't mention the bonus!)
Me: Well, I didn't want to have to pay the AF, so I thought I would downgrade it, but then reapplied because I heard the card was going away and knew it would be my last chance to apply.
Rep: Okay great. But you do know there IS an AF when you reapply?
Me: Oh, whoops, guess I messed that one up.
Rep: Well, is there anything else I can help you with?
Me (do I dare?): Um...could I maybe reapply anyways?

He put the app in again (4th time, but only 2nd pull), and after answering a few uncomfortable questions I was approved!

Offline gilkile

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 20, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »
You're not ineligible since you don't have the card now, it's just that the rep feels you're playing with the system, in that case you just need a good reason for what you did, like this one:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this!

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 26, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
Does Barclays work like Chase that each time you do recon your 30 days restart and will only use original credit report pull on subsequent HUCAs?

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 26, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
Just tried 3rd recon for USAir. They won't budge. Won't move credit. too many new accounts closed early (prob thanks to chase A/A a pear ago).
:(

The guy (Mathew) said something interesting. "We do allow two recons and you've used up your two chances already."  Huh?! Anyone heard this before?

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »
Does Barclays work like Chase that each time you do recon your 30 days restart and will only use original credit report pull on subsequent HUCAs?
See wiki?
Just tried 3rd recon for USAir. They won't budge. Won't move credit. too many new accounts closed early (prob thanks to chase A/A a pear ago).

The guy (Mathew) said something interesting. "We do allow two recons and you've used up your two chances already."  Huh?! Anyone heard this before?
It's been heard before, but it doesn't seem to be a hard rule. (I'm not sure what exactly they consider 'recon'. A phone call? Resubmitting? etc)

Online Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 26, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »

I've heard three.  The general consensus here seems to be that that's recon rep nonsense and it's worth a HUCA.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:03 AM »
I have tried HUCA several times for an Arrival Plus but they are not budging and have told me to stop calling because I have tried too many times and all the reps can see that. Chase recon is so much easier!!

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 28, 2015, 12:24:48 AM »
I have tried HUCA several times for an Arrival Plus but they are not budging and have told me to stop calling because I have tried too many times and all the reps can see that. Chase recon is so much easier!!
Any reason why they won't give it ?

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
just keep saying how you really want it that's why you keep calling back hoping someone can help you
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 28, 2015, 01:41:55 AM »
Is it true that if they haven't pulled you credit in the past 30 days they have to pull it again?

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 28, 2015, 03:19:27 AM »
Is it true that if they haven't pulled you credit in the past 30 days they have to pull it again?
They don't have to do anything. But yes. They are more likely than not, to pull again.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 28, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
Any reason why they won't give it ?

They told me that my credit history is not long enough and too many cards in the last 6 months and they just gave me a USair card (at the same time I applied for Arrival)

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 28, 2015, 11:35:01 AM »
They told me that my credit history is not long enough and too many cards in the last 6 months and they just gave me a USair card (at the same time I applied for Arrival)
If they keep telling you that your chances aren't very high.

Offline gilkile

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
Finally approved for USAIR!!! got approved the other night via the 24 hr number. This was my 3rd time HUCA.. 1st two times they said no because I had a dif USAIR card/recently converted to Arrival. This time I was upfront about the fact that I had the USAIRWAYS card recently and I foolishly reapplied because I didn't want to pay the yearly fee. Now I see the card is going away and I really want it etc.. Also didn't hurt that I made small talk with the rep for 2-3 min before we even got started. He felt the "need to help me." He grilled me for like 15 min though- intense thorough questioning...NOT FUN.... (why I hate Recon with Barclays). He finally volunteered to split my credit limit between my arrival and the new USAIR.

It took 4 hard credit pulls to get approved for this. Any way I can get some of those pulls removed? Should I even care that I have alot of Transunion pulls as a result of this app? Any other credit card companies pull from TransUnion? TIA

Thanks to all those whose suggestions helped me get approved!!

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 28, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
Any other credit card companies pull from TransUnion?
Depends where you're located.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #937 on: January 29, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
Do barclays apps ever say declined or always will be notified in 10 days?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline eli.f

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »
Do barclays apps ever say declined or always will be notified in 10 days?
Always 7-10. I don't think there's any company that will decline you outright.
But you can see the real status in the online app status. (www.myapplicationstatus.com)

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
Does 2BM work with Barclay? I want to apply for the Us air and the Arrival!