Topic Wiki

You can check your personal application status online here.
You can check your business application status online here.

Barclay reconsideration line: 866-408-4064, Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM EST.
The 24-hour number is 866-408-4064
New 24 hour number is 866-205-5973
you can finally fax documents to Barclays the number is 866-836-6959

Based on the phone reps, an application usually remains in the system for 90 days, during which you can ask for a reconsideration.
However, if 30 days have passed, it will incur another hard pull.

There have been a few reports of Barclay pulling credit again when reconsidering - even when specifically asked not to.
Make sure to explicitly tell the rep that you don't want another credit pull. The benefit of such action would be that if later you see they did pull your credit you can call up and speak to a manager and have the pulls removed (based on first-hand accounts from this thread).

If you want to guarantee that you don't get another pull, freeze your credit report.

While Barclay recon reps are usually very tough to deal with, there have been sporadic reports of them reconsidering by reallocating credit-line from other cards. Additionally, there are a few reports indicating success with the 3BM.
Personal and biz didn't combine

Barclay recon reps take notes of each phone call and subsequent reps usually regurgitate the previous rep's reply.

Barclays has a 6/24 rule similar to chase 5/24. Not hardcoded like chase though.

Random: see this great article about negotiating tactics with Customer Service Reps.
not working. Found it on the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20161018151314/https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-negotiator-shares-negotiating-tricks-2015-1/ref=cyberdust.com

Author Topic: Barclays Reconsideration  (Read 362292 times)

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Barclays Reconsideration
« Reply #660 on: December 02, 2014, 03:21:47 AM »
+1

Also, I don't think it's theory anymore - it's a fact. The important question is which other cards/banks, if any, has the same system?

Seems like LH has it too, so probably all Barcs. But what about other lenders?

Offline eli.f

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 02, 2014, 04:01:29 AM »
Add that to my pile of evidence to my theory...
I'm already following that theory.
So right now, I have 3 closed Arrivals on my online profile and I have another card to downgrade. Last rep I spoke with, was surprised to see that. Maybe I should downgrade to a different card this time.

Although, I read somewhere that closed cards drop off your profile after 6 months. Can anyone confirm? And if so, will the reps still see them? (I'm sure they can dig deep and find them, just like I'm sure they have records of downgrades. But will they see it if they don't dig deep?)

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 02, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »
I'm already following that theory.
So right now, I have 3 closed Arrivals on my online profile and I have another card to downgrade. Last rep I spoke with, was surprised to see that. Maybe I should downgrade to a different card this time.

Although, I read somewhere that closed cards drop off your profile after 6 months. Can anyone confirm? And if so, will the reps still see them? (I'm sure they can dig deep and find them, just like I'm sure they have records of downgrades. But will they see it if they don't dig deep?)
I don't have experience with that but I imagine after 6 months you should be fine.

Offline Novo

• View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
« Reply #663 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
Wgere exactly did you get that lesson from? Barclay always pull TU anyway.
My understanding was that recon pulled EQ/EX (as there were numerous reports of them doing so)
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 02, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
Not a happy camper this morning.  :'(
Applied for a new USAirways Div Miles MC and was declined.
I already have a LLBean Visa and another personal USAirways DivMiles MC. Each has 25k CL or more, and have not used them too much.
Three agents told me that it is bank policy that an individual can not hold more than one of a card type.  I mentioned that I have an acquaintance who has two of this card (didn't mention Dan's name, though!) and they said it sometimes happens, but it's bank policy, not flexible,no exceptions.

I spoke with 3 agents,and as the wiki says, they all share/compare notes,so I don't think I'll get anywhere with more HUCA.
They suggested I could apply for a business version of the card.
Downside is that it's another credit pull, and only 25k bonus, not 40k.
Any advice?

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 02, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »

+1

Also, I don't think it's theory anymore - it's a fact. The important question is which other cards/banks, if any, has the same system?

Seems like LH has it too, so probably all Barcs. But what about other lenders?
I used to do this all the time with Sapphire, - downgraded to Freedom, closed as a Freedom, reapplied for Sapphire, - it wasn't as important as with Barclay, but it always made me feel better when dialing that recon number.

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
But would they have approved you anyways if you just closed the sapphire? With usair you can tell they don't know you had it. Did you get any indication from chase reps they couldn't see the saphire- besides for the circumstantial evidence that you were approved?

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »

But would they have approved you anyways if you just closed the sapphire? With usair you can tell they don't know you had it. Did you get any indication from chase reps they couldn't see the saphire- besides for the circumstantial evidence that you were approved?
Lots of approvals after reapplying by just closing without downgrading first, but your chances are definitely higher when converting it first, especially with Barclay.

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 02, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
So there's no evidence from your case - they definitely saw the closed SP in your history.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

they definitely saw the closed SP in your history.
Even though it's converted to a Freedom? How so?

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 02, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
I was referring to these instances:

Lots of approvals after reapplying by just closing without downgrading first, but your chances are definitely higher when converting it first, especially with Barclay.

I have no idea if they see it once converted - I've never converted a chase card.

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #671 on: December 02, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »
applied for the us airways was denied called recon and won't approve asked to shift credit still did not work called again and worked b"h
never give up with barclays
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
applied for the us airways was denied called recon and won't approve asked to shift credit still did not work called again and worked b"h
never give up with barclays
Have you had it before?

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 04, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
Not a happy camper this morning.  :'(
Applied for a new USAirways Div Miles MC and was declined.
I already have a LLBean Visa and another personal USAirways DivMiles MC. Each has 25k CL or more, and have not used them too much.
Three agents told me that it is bank policy that an individual can not hold more than one of a card type.  I mentioned that I have an acquaintance who has two of this card (didn't mention Dan's name, though!) and they said it sometimes happens, but it's bank policy, not flexible,no exceptions.

I spoke with 3 agents,and as the wiki says, they all share/compare notes,so I don't think I'll get anywhere with more HUCA.
They suggested I could apply for a business version of the card.
Downside is that it's another credit pull, and only 25k bonus, not 40k.
Any advice?

Update -- still unhappy.  I know I'm a glutton for punishment, but I called again -- this my fourth time (at least).  Had what I thought was a really nice conversation with Annie, chatted about the weather (she's in Las Vegas), and then she called up my record, and then I could tell she was reading over the prior agents' notes, and I knew my ship was sunk.  I explained that I wanted to have a second card for a separate kind of spending (upcoming travel and hotel and other related expenses for a one of my family members in the coming years), gave her examples, explained why this card in particular (travel on USAirways and eventually American gives special benefits), and despite all that, no dice.  I pleaded -- must have sounded pretty pathetic -- asking every way I could possibly imagine if they would make an exception, but got nowhere.    She noted that I had already spoken with two representatives who told me the same thing...I could tell she was losing her patience with me.

She kept telling me I could go online and look for a different card for which I could apply.  Yeah, thanks for that.

I know someone is going to suggest that I just close the existing card, but (a) not sure closing will allow me to open a new one so fast, and (b) the existing card just got the targeted "spend $500/month x 3 months and get 5k miles each of those months," so I don't want to close this card yet.

I guess this application is destined to be declined, unless someone else has another suggestion.  A written appeal? To the company president? (Wiki says that may work YMMV for Citi...any experience here? I guess it can't hurt so I'll try.)

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 04, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
Update -- still unhappy.  I know I'm a glutton for punishment, but I called again -- this my fourth time (at least).  Had what I thought was a really nice conversation with Annie, chatted about the weather (she's in Las Vegas), and then she called up my record, and then I could tell she was reading over the prior agents' notes, and I knew my ship was sunk.  I explained that I wanted to have a second card for a separate kind of spending (upcoming travel and hotel and other related expenses for a one of my family members in the coming years), gave her examples, explained why this card in particular (travel on USAirways and eventually American gives special benefits), and despite all that, no dice.  I pleaded -- must have sounded pretty pathetic -- asking every way I could possibly imagine if they would make an exception, but got nowhere.    She noted that I had already spoken with two representatives who told me the same thing...I could tell she was losing her patience with me.

She kept telling me I could go online and look for a different card for which I could apply.  Yeah, thanks for that.

I know someone is going to suggest that I just close the existing card, but (a) not sure closing will allow me to open a new one so fast, and (b) the existing card just got the targeted "spend $500/month x 3 months and get 5k miles each of those months," so I don't want to close this card yet.

I guess this application is destined to be declined, unless someone else has another suggestion.  A written appeal? To the company president? (Wiki says that may work YMMV for Citi...any experience here? I guess it can't hurt so I'll try.)

Here's what I just sent by secure message...hoping that maybe my text could be useful to someone else sometime....

Hello,
I recently applied for a second US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard, which was declined.  I spoke with the customer service representative, who told me that Barclays typically does not allow individuals to have more than one account for a given card type. However, I explained my circumstances, which in this case is that I anticipate considerable increase in my spending for travel, lodging and educational expenses in the coming year, both for myself and for my child, going to college. I would like to keep our child's college-related expenses separate from other family expenses, and given that s/he's likely to be going away to school at a place that is served by USAirways, we would like to have this card in particular, as it provides excellent benefits when we travel, such as baggage allowances and priority boarding.   Would you be able to forward this information on to the credit department for re-consideration of my application? Thank you in advance.
--Zow

Offline birne

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: December 04, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »
i applied for the US airways card and they asked me the usual (why so many cards opened recently) and they told me that since i opened my Arrival card in September they cant approve me now because i need to show good history- even though my credit is very good...

is it worth trying HUCA? or should i have not applied in the first place?
WHY NOT?!?!

Offline youG

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 04, 2014, 12:17:25 PM »
Just did 2bm and they approved for 1 and 2nd was under review so i called recon and got some questions and got it approved.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 04, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »
Just did 2bm and they approved for 1 and 2nd was under review so i called recon and got some questions and got it approved.
Nice. Do you have any other barclay cards currently open ?

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
Here's what I just sent by secure message...hoping that maybe my text could be useful to someone else sometime....

Hello,
I recently applied for a second US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard, which was declined.  I spoke with the customer service representative, who told me that Barclays typically does not allow individuals to have more than one account for a given card type. However, I explained my circumstances, which in this case is that I anticipate considerable increase in my spending for travel, lodging and educational expenses in the coming year, both for myself and for my child, going to college. I would like to keep our child's college-related expenses separate from other family expenses, and given that s/he's likely to be going away to school at a place that is served by USAirways, we would like to have this card in particular, as it provides excellent benefits when we travel, such as baggage allowances and priority boarding.   Would you be able to forward this information on to the credit department for re-consideration of my application? Thank you in advance.
--Zow

another data point, the response from my secure message:

Dear Zow:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your US Airways Dividend Miles World MasterCard.  We understand your concern regarding the declined application.

Should you wish to have your application reconsidered, you may talk to our Credit Analysts at 866-408-4064 from 8 AM - 5 PM ET on Mondays to Fridays or fax a letter at 866-823-8178. We apologize we cannot process the request through the secured message center. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 04, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »
is it even slightly possible for someone who has 0 barclay cards ever to get a 3bm approved?