Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are .03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, .03 to landlines and .09 to mobiles in many other countries, .06 to Israel landlines and .15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is .07. Data bundles start at 5 for 500 MB in the UK and 20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay 5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide
« Last edited by chff on November 14, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 53547 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: European And Israeli Sim Discussion
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Are most phones and laptops universal voltages or do I need to buy transformers, etc....

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
Are most phones and laptops universal voltages or do I need to buy transformers, etc....

You can see from the charger/power-adapter (look to see what input it takes). I'd guess (most?) all can receive 220/240 volts, but you'll need a socket adapter for the plug, I might have one I can lend you. They sell them on trips as well, but you might pay 5 or more.
PGF24BMGS

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
Any decent hotel will have socket adapters for you if you ask for them.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
Any decent hotel will have socket adapters for you if you ask for them.

Right, but not if he wants to plug in at the airport or something.
PGF24BMGS

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »
So which ATT phone are you getting that has GSM, quad band, can connect to TIM, Rogers, Bezeq (will I be able to use in Venice)?
I'll be using my (now unlocked) Blackberry Bold world phone, but as Dan said, you can get a much cheaper one from ATT.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »
I see the cheapest quad-band phone ATT has is http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+a777+-+GoPhone%C2%AE+-+Prepaid+-+Refurbished+-+Red&q_sku=sku4560233#fbid=7xtLtqAjijf and it's a refurb.

For that am I better off going to http://www.onesimcard.com/?idmenu=1 and spending $40-48 (not counting $10 Sim CArd that it includes) and having unlocked phone with adapter......

What would you do? Again, this is just for voice. Thanks

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »
I see the cheapest quad-band phone ATT has is http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+a777+-+GoPhone%C2%AE+-+Prepaid+-+Refurbished+-+Red&q_sku=sku4560233#fbid=7xtLtqAjijf and it's a refurb.

For that am I better off going to http://www.onesimcard.com/?idmenu=1 and spending $40-48 (not counting $10 Sim CArd that it includes) and having unlocked phone with adapter......

What would you do? Again, this is just for voice. Thanks

Which phone do u see for that price?

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
Which phone do u see for that price?

ATT has the Samsung A777 refurb for $35 and then I need to buy $40 card.
The OneSimCard site has a BLU Deejay T200 for $80 or a Motorola V191 for $87 but they already include the Sim Card with $10 airtime ($40 value). It also already comes unlocked and with adapter (and it's new).

What do you say?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »
ATT has the Samsung A777 refurb for $35 and then I need to buy $40 card.
The OneSimCard site has a BLU Deejay T200 for $80 or a Motorola V191 for $87 but they already include the Sim Card with $10 airtime ($40 value). It also already comes unlocked and with adapter (and it's new).

What do you say?

I'm no expert here, but you will save a few bucks and a headache not having to unlock the phone, besides the phone and SIM card savings. Doesn't seem like a major difference either way, just do what you like best. Dan seems happy with the company, and so far I am too - I ordered that SIM on Friday afternoon and it was in my mailbox today.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
Dan seems happy with the company, and so far I am too - I ordered that SIM on Friday afternoon and it was in my mailbox today.
Happy enough, the callback system is slightly annoying.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »
Happy enough, the callback system is slightly annoying.

How does the callback work? Is this part of OneSim or just used together with it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Just got an email saying my funds will expire soon if I don't recharge with $25+
Apparently funds do expire unless you recharge every 10 months.  The SIM card and phone number never expire though.

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
Anyone have any information or heard of this world sim operator? http://www.roamforce.com/

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »
Just got an email saying my funds will expire soon if I don't recharge with $25+
Apparently funds do expire unless you recharge every 10 months.  The SIM card and phone number never expire though.

Is $25 the the min. recharge or is that just the threshold for extending the life of the balance? Good to know the SIM and number don't expire.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »