Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are .03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, .03 to landlines and .09 to mobiles in many other countries, .06 to Israel landlines and .15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is .07. Data bundles start at 5 for 500 MB in the UK and 20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay 5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide
« Last edited by chff on November 14, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 53550 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: European And Israeli Sim Discussion
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
Google voice is free.  Gizmo5 you can buy on ebay.  Most laptops have a built in mic, so no need for anything else.

Is this only PC to PC or can I use PC to a regular phone as well?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
Don't see Gizmo5 for sale on Ebay. Searched on line and seems it has been aquired by Google and no new sign ups? http://www.google.com/gizmo5/  Any suggestions?

Offline Bp

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
Don't see Gizmo5 for sale on Ebay. Searched on line and seems it has been aquired by Google and no new sign ups? http://www.google.com/gizmo5/  Any suggestions?
than go with a free sipgate account!!   http://www.sipgate.com/one

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
than go with a free sipgate account!!   http://www.sipgate.com/one
Does it work the same as Gizmo5?

I have some extra gizmo5 accounts.  Maybe I'll do a raffle at the DDF DO?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
This is prob not the right place to place this- but it jsut reminded me that i have gizmo5- and i havent the slightest clue how to use it. Im in israel so it would prob come in handy- but i never seemed to figure it out.. where can i read up about it?
thanks

Offline Bp

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Does it work the same as Gizmo5?

I have some extra gizmo5 accounts.  Maybe I'll do a raffle at the DDF DO?
I didn"t try it outside the us, but  my understanding is  that it should work the same like gizmo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-780104.html

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
Unfortunately for me, the OneSim card that I got did not end up working with my phone (BB bold 9000). Every time I put it in, the phone would go through the boot up phase and then give me an "error 523" and "Reset" as the only option to choose. Once I selected reset the same process would repeat itself.

I tried a number of times to switch SIM's and see if the phone would adapt to it but no luck. During the my last night in Italy I tried once more after first changing the phone settings to 2G (this worked for the Fido SIM in Canada), and this time the phone never recovered. Even after I put back the native ATT SIM, it still goes through the same boot - error phase.  It's quite likely that this is an issue with my BB phone rather then OneSim. I've been having other issues with it. 

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
There was once a post on the main site explaining how to work gizmo5 its not that hard once you realize what you are trying to do.

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »
I have a one week trip scheduled for Italy and France in March. I currently have a blackberry tour from sprint and being that I have a cheap plan (free & clear), adding on the international data package will delete my current plan permanently. Thus adding data through sprint for my trip is out of the question. Last time I visited Italy I just hopped into a Vodafone store and bought a SIM and was good to go as far as voice is concern. My question is what can be done so that BBM/Google maps can work as well? Or is having push data with a prepaid SIM out of the question?

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
I found Gizmo5 on Ebay. Will it still work for me with Google Voice to make international calls over PC?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
Until apr 3rd
Create professional looking itineraries.
Free trial! Check out eliteitinerary.com
Code:DD

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
When I was just in Paris I bought myself a prepaid Virgin mobile SIM at the Virgin store on the Champs Elysees and plugged it into my VZW BB Tour. It worked fine (without data obviously) for what I needed and was really easy to buy and get set up.

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
This is probably not the right place for this (although I hate it when others do it... What do you mean it's not the right place??? if it's not the right place why then did you post it here....!!?) 

However, I'm searching high and low for contact info for the Orange Store at TLV Airport. If anyone can post it here, I'd greatly appreciate!

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
May I ask why specifically that Orange (btw you can order a bigtalk SIM from the post office and have them ship it here).