Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 161697 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: European And Israeli Sim Discussion
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
I went with One Sim Card that Super recommended.
It seems like the most straightforward place for Americans to rent from.  Free shipping, no forex fees, prices quoted in dollars, etc.
They shipped out the order just minutes after I made it.
Here a 5% off code: OSCM05
Came out to $28.45 for the Sim, which has free incoming calls in all the places I need it (over 75 countries in all).  Incoming texts are free as well.

Outgoing calls from Israel to the US are .45/minute, but I plan on using Gizmo5/Google Voice for free outgoing calls from my computer.

I'll report more when I get it!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 05:29:08 AM »
I wrote:"not advising any in particular, read what it says, almost shabbes, no time to check it out.", but I hope its good.

Offline Armadillo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »
If it doesn't work out, I have one for Israel you can borrow.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
If it doesn't work out, I have one for Israel you can borrow.

me too, but you will need to fetch it  ;-)

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:13:39 AM »
i got the truphone local anywhere sim for pesach - their rates werent bad - i got the sim card for free with some credit they sent me an email with a promo. i dont think its so good in israel though.

the advantage i would assume is that they gave me a us number; thats the whole point of it i think. i took a quick look at one sim - they have that option too but its 35 cents a minute and a startup fee - whatever - truphone is 26 i think in most of europe. and if you have a us number you just have your calls forwarded in...

for some time when i was in england i had skype forward my calls - it was like 20 cents a minute and $18 for 3 months i think. there are other services that do that, probably cheaper and better quality.

anyway - dont know if its worth it for you but i liked it - very convinient.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »
i got the truphone local anywhere sim for pesach - their rates werent bad - i got the sim card for free with some credit they sent me an email with a promo. i dont think its so good in israel though.

the advantage i would assume is that they gave me a us number; thats the whole point of it i think. i took a quick look at one sim - they have that option too but its 35 cents a minute and a startup fee - whatever - truphone is 26 i think in most of europe. and if you have a us number you just have your calls forwarded in...

for some time when i was in england i had skype forward my calls - it was like 20 cents a minute and $18 for 3 months i think. there are other services that do that, probably cheaper and better quality.

anyway - dont know if its worth it for you but i liked it - very convinient.
Their Israel rates are really terrible, and there's no free incoming calls anywhere.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:48:48 AM »
ye but one sim's free incoming isn't an american number...
and forwarding from your us cell...

Offline eliteflyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »
I went with One Sim Card that Super recommended.
It seems like the most straightforward place for Americans to rent from.  Free shipping, no forex fees, prices quoted in dollars, etc.
They shipped out the order just minutes after I made it.
Here a 5% off code: OSCM05
Came out to $28.45 for the Sim, which has free incoming calls in all the places I need it (over 75 countries in all).  Incoming texts are free as well.

Outgoing calls from Israel to the US are .45/minute, but I plan on using Gizmo5/Google Voice for free outgoing calls from my computer.

I'll report more when I get it!
When you are abroad, how do you use Google Voice? Can you make it ring a non-us number to place calls?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
no you cannot ring a non us number with a google voice # (canada maybe I don't know). you can do it with something like gizmo (skype)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
When you are abroad, how do you use Google Voice? Can you make it ring a non-us number to place calls?

I have gizmo5 so it rings back my computer, but I don't think they are accepting new signups.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 04:02:31 PM »
dan arent you in israel? do you hold one day?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
dan arent you in israel? do you hold one day?

Good point, lubavitchers keep 1  day in israel.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
thats interesting.

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Israel- Sim Card
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Anyone ever got a sim card for a short visit to israel? Ive seen they have prepaid ones? Any suggestions?

Offline deals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Israel- Sim Card
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
cheapest willl be to rent here the pre paid are crazy expensive

Offline rm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
rent where? how about phone rentals, anyone have any sugges.?

Offline airfly

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »
I have used the travelcell type phones and the pre-paid(orange sim). The Orange works out pretty good price wise. I have an unlocked phone, you have to make sure it has the right frequency, (900/1800 I think). You can buy the orange sim card in the us and then buy "big talk" to add time in israel. This way I also keep the same phone number every time I go.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:41 AM »
900/1800 is correct, to add usa capability to it add 1900. I believe 850 is for good parts of brazil.

Having those 4 frequencies (quadband), you are basically covered in all countries, except japan, where 3g is needed.

(Other countries have 3g too, such as pelefon in Israel, but there are alternative networks).

If going in the wilderness, those won't suffice, you will want to buy/rent a satellite phone, such as thuraya, and others.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 05:44:50 AM »
850  is also used in america. I'm not sure if it's by T-mobile, AT&T or both.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
I was mentioning (as mashma in my post) that I only brought up the basic ones needed, in a lot of european countries, you could manage with single bands. Believe it or not, some fancy Bmw and Rolls Royce have an internal phone that only works with 900, meaning that they have to stick to some operators.