Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 161713 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: European And Israeli Sim Discussion
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
I make outgoing calls (and receive incoming calls) from my laptop for free via G5/GV and have the phone just in case of an emergency incoming or outgoing call.

Thanks. Okay, so if I bring a laptop (Westin is saying they charge me 12-15 Euro a day) and I buy this G5/GV , I can make free calls but I still need to pay for Internet service? Where do I get these G5/GV ? Just need that and laptop and do I need other accessories to make calls?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
Thanks. Okay, so if I bring a laptop (Westin is saying they charge me 12-15 Euro a day) and I buy this G5/GV , I can make free calls but I still need to pay for Internet service? Where do I get these G5/GV ? Just need that and laptop and do I need other accessories to make calls?
Free internet via a SPG Plat member..
Google voice is free.  Gizmo5 you can buy on ebay.  Most laptops have a built in mic, so no need for anything else.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
Free internet via a SPG Plat member..
Google voice is free.  Gizmo5 you can buy on ebay.  Most laptops have a built in mic, so no need for anything else.

Buying now from Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gizmo5-SIP-VOIP-Premium-Service-/320649108913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa82d1db1 .

So as a backup, any ATT GOphone takes a Sim card? I see on for $15 with free shipping.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+SGH-a107+-+GoPhone%C2%AE+-+Prepaid+-+Silver&q_sku=sku5070245#fbid=Td_gjasP7wc

Sorry for long urls.
Thanks Dan!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:03 PM »
Buying now from Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gizmo5-SIP-VOIP-Premium-Service-/320649108913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa82d1db1 .

So as a backup, any ATT GOphone takes a Sim card? I see on for $15 with free shipping.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+SGH-a107+-+GoPhone%C2%AE+-+Prepaid+-+Silver&q_sku=sku5070245#fbid=Td_gjasP7wc

Sorry for long urls.
Thanks Dan!
No, that's not a world phone.
Search for gophone on the main site and I list there some world phone examples.  Plus you'll need to buy an unlock code for a couple bucks on ebay.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: Re: Venice Master Thread
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »
You can also just buy a world SIM.

How much are the rates for the Italian SIM?

Based on this site TIM rates are:

Calling within TIM network- EUR 0.10 ($0.14 USD)    
Calls to landline numbers - EUR 0.28 ($0.35 USD)       
Calls to other* mobile networks - EUR 0.28 ($0.35 USD)   
SMS text messages -EUR 0.15 ($0.21 USD) per message

To the US - 0.50 EUR ($0.60 USD)
To Europe - 0.50 EUR ($0.60 USD)
Intl Text - 0.30 EUR ($0.43 USD)

The SIM itself cost 10 EUR in Italy with 5 EUR calling credit, but if I get it by by these guys I'll pay $39...

What is  a world SIM?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
What is  a world SIM?

Exactly what it sounds like: A SIM that works (almost) anywhere there's GSM.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
No, that's not a world phone.
Search for gophone on the main site and I list there some world phone examples.  Plus you'll need to buy an unlock code for a couple bucks on ebay.

Sale is over. Once I'm buying (just need for voice) , any point in spending more then bottom of barrel one as far as reception and reliability?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
Sale is over. Once I'm buying (just need for voice) , any point in spending more then bottom of barrel one as far as reception and reliability?

Just make sure you get a quad-band, or at least the GSM bands for the countries you'll be traveling to.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »
Exactly what it sounds like: A SIM that works (almost) anywhere there's GSM.

And it can connect it to any carrier like TIM, Rogers, Bezeq?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
And it can connect it to any carrier like TIM, Rogers, Bezeq?
Yes.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
Yes.

Sounds like a plan. How much are these?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
The 5% promo code from my earlier post still appears to work.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
Thanks, I'm going for this.

So which ATT phone are you getting that has GSM, quad band, can connect to TIM, Rogers, Bezeq (will I be able to use in Venice)?

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Are most phones and laptops universal voltages or do I need to buy transformers, etc....

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
Are most phones and laptops universal voltages or do I need to buy transformers, etc....

You can see from the charger/power-adapter (look to see what input it takes). I'd guess (most?) all can receive 220/240 volts, but you'll need a socket adapter for the plug, I might have one I can lend you. They sell them on trips as well, but you might pay 5€ or more.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
Any decent hotel will have socket adapters for you if you ask for them.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
Any decent hotel will have socket adapters for you if you ask for them.

Right, but not if he wants to plug in at the airport or something.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »
So which ATT phone are you getting that has GSM, quad band, can connect to TIM, Rogers, Bezeq (will I be able to use in Venice)?
I'll be using my (now unlocked) Blackberry Bold world phone, but as Dan said, you can get a much cheaper one from ATT.