Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 483330 times)

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
now that my europe trip aint happening, Iwould like to plan a trip in the summer to Hawaii with my husband. few questions:
1. it seems like LIH is the best island?
2. I would not be doing any water ectiviteis that arent 100% tznius, is there still what to do in Hawaii?
3. after LIH, where else is sugeested?
4. How can I get a hotel with points? I dont have starwood, I only have 30,000 AMEX MR points

any help greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:21:14 PM by Dan »

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
I am planning a trip sometime in the future to Hawaii. I was always under the impression that it is not worth the trip from NY to Hawaii unless you go for at least 10 days and visit at least 2 islands.

Dan, what is you thought on this?

Pslams, as you went from Sunday to Thursday was it worth it? Also, as Dan and others helped you can you post a trip report?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »
now that my europe trip aint happening, Iwould like to plan a trip in the summer to Hawaii with my husband. few questions:
1. it seems like LIH is the best island?
2. I would not be doing any water ectiviteis that arent 100% tznius, is there still what to do in Hawaii?
3. after LIH, where else is sugeested?
4. How can I get a hotel with points? I dont have starwood, I only have 30,000 AMEX MR points

any help greatly appreciated!
I split this thread off to create a master thread for question about Hawaii.

-There is no best island. Ask 6 people and they will each give you a different answer.  It all depends on what you want to do.
The main airports serving each island are:
HNL for Oahu, the most populous island and where 90% of tourists go.
Lots of tourist activities, kosher food is available, Chabad has a great location here within walking distance of most Honolulu-Waikiki hotels.  It's very pretty as soon as you leave Honolulu, but it's a bit too touristy for my taste.

OGG for Maui, the 2nd most popular island for tourists.  A beautiful island with lush flowing waterfalls along the most beautiful drive you'll ever take-the road to Hana.  The view from on top of Haleakala is incredible.  Tons of water sports.  Great whale watching boats in the winter.  There's a chabad house by the airport, but few hotels are nearby.

LIH for Kauai, a much more laid back island.  Much less developed than Oahu and Maui.  I think it's the most beautiful, green and lush of the islands.  It has few roads, so a helicopter tour is the primary way of seeing the hidden sights.  Some of the best hikes I've ever done are on Kauai.  The Na Pali Coast and Waimea Canyon will take your breath away.  Miles of deserted beaches on the west coast on Polihale beach.  And I love the Grand Hyatt here and the tree tunnel you drive through to get there.

KOA for the west side of the big island of Hawaii. Some of the best beaches in Hawaii are here.  You can drive from the beach to snow in an hour.  Sunset from on top of Mauna Kea, the tallest mountain in the world from its base, was the most beautiful I've ever seen.  The big island is much less green and lush than the other islands.

ITO for the east side of the big island of Hawaii.  Seeing a volcano erupt is awesome!!! It's been erupting constantly for the past 25 years! Hiking through forests and then lava that ate the forest and back again is something you won't quickly forget.  Volcanically heated warm springs are a lot of fun as well.  There is a lot of rain on this side of the big island.

LNY for Lanai: A much smaller private island with few hotels...never been here.
MKK for Molokai: never been here either, also no big-name resorts.

-There is plenty what to do without water activities, and if you know where to go you can have your own private beach as well.
-You can trade people AMEX points for Starwood and Hyatt points, but 30,000 might not get you too far in Hawaii.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:57:06 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
I am planning a trip sometime in the future to Hawaii. I was always under the impression that it is not worth the trip from NY to Hawaii unless you go for at least 10 days and visit at least 2 islands.

Dan, what is you thought on this?

Pslams, as you went from Sunday to Thursday was it worth it? Also, as Dan and others helped you can you post a trip report?
I think 10 days is the least amount of time for an ideal trip, but you can definitely make a go of it if you fly out sunday and return on the thursday night redeye.
I would stick to one island though on such a short trip.
Continental flies nonstop from EWR to HNL which is very convenient.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:05:44 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
thank you so much! my husband also just got 30,000 amexmr points, would 60,000 be enough?

should I transfer them to points reward or hilton?

thank you for your time

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
My ideal trip would be something like this: Fly in beginning of the week to Maui for 4 days, Friday and shabbos in Oahu (tour of Peal Harbor on Friday and shabbos at chabad) , then Sunday through Tuesday evening in Kawui at the Hyatt, then Hilo through Thursday not to miss the volcano's.....

Another option would be to take a seven Island Cruise to have a base with kosher food and get a piece of many islands.

Dan, What do you think??

If I only have 1 week i'd rather go to a place like cancun, aruba...... I think it pays to save Hawaii for when you have a minimum of 10 days!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »
Also worth noting if you are staying at a Hyatt you can book any activities (Helicopter, Scuba, Kayak, etc.) and charge them to your room.
You can then buy Hyatt GC's at Costco at a 20% discount to pay for them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
thank you so much! my husband also just got 30,000 amexmr points, would 60,000 be enough?

should I transfer them to points reward or hilton?

thank you for your time
You can trade them to hilton or priority club but you'll only get 1 night that way.
You'll be better off looking for a trading partner to get Hyatt or Starwood points for your AMEX points.

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:45:46 AM »
thanks for all the help.

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »
Also worth noting if you are staying at a Hyatt you can book any activities (Helicopter, Scuba, Kayak, etc.) and charge them to your room.
You can then buy Hyatt GC's at Costco at a 20% discount to pay for them.

Are the activities highly overpriced or are there some good deals? That was always my hesitation going to Hawaii-- the flight and hotel may be free, but the activities would be very expensive and anything free is not so tznius except maybe hiking or just driving around and seeing the sights

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:43 AM »
Are the activities highly overpriced or are there some good deals? That was always my hesitation going to Hawaii-- the flight and hotel may be free, but the activities would be very expensive and anything free is not so tznius except maybe hiking or just driving around and seeing the sights

In Maui there are plenty of gorgeous beaches with not a person in sight. Just pull over off the main highway.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »
In Maui there are plenty of gorgeous beaches with not a person in sight. Just pull over off the main highway.

I don't know about your wife or if you have one, but mine wouldn't go swimming in public even if there is "no one in sight" however, I guess it's still nice to sit on the beach :)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
I don't know about your wife or if you have one, but mine wouldn't go swimming in public even if there is "no one in sight" however, I guess it's still nice to sit on the beach :)

These beaches are public but have limited access. We tried several of them while we were there and did not bump into a soul. I am not your Rabbi nor your wife, but if you are looking for peace and quiet you'll definitely find that

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:29:37 PM »
My ideal trip would be something like this: Fly in beginning of the week to Maui for 4 days, Friday and shabbos in Oahu (tour of Peal Harbor on Friday and shabbos at chabad) , then Sunday through Tuesday evening in Kawui at the Hyatt, then Hilo through Thursday not to miss the volcano's.....

Another option would be to take a seven Island Cruise to have a base with kosher food and get a piece of many islands.

Dan, What do you think??

If I only have 1 week i'd rather go to a place like cancun, aruba...... I think it pays to save Hawaii for when you have a minimum of 10 days!

I think that trying to go to all 4 islands in 10 days is overly optimistic.  Sure you'll have hit all the islands but you'll be exhausted and not even had the chance to even touch the surface of each island.  Unless this is going to be the last time in your life that you'll be going to Hawaii spend 10 days on 2 islands and relish the next chance you'll have to do it again.

I've never been to Cancun, but from what I understand about those places is that there's little else to do besides the beach.  In Hawaii there's just so much more and it's so much more beautiful.  And best of all your cell phone works better than it does down the street and the money is the same.

There is kosher food available on Oahu and it can even be delivered to the other islands:
http://www.oahukosher.com/delivery.htm#

The Hyatt in Maui also has a kosher menu.

When my wife and I spent 3.5 weeks in Hawaii after we got married we made all of the food before we left and froze it.  We went to 4 islands on that trip.  At each hotel we would take out what we needed for that week and had the hotel freeze the suitcase with the rest of the food.  We had a simple burner from rite aid to heat up the food.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:32:09 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
On my last trip I think we did just one paid activity (rented a kayak for $30).  There's plenty to do for free even if a secluded beach isn't your thing.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »
On my last trip I think we did just one paid activity (rented a kayak for $30).  There's plenty to do for free even if a secluded beach isn't your thing.

When you have some time please share more free activities...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »
When you have some time please share more free activities...
Which island?

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
the one with the best activities :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
the one with the best activities :)
Lol...that's quite subjective!
Read the quick summary that I wrote earlier in this thread or read the trip reports that I've written...

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 11:36:54 PM »
LIH