Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 484992 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1220 on: February 04, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
I would imagine that those people do not want to be easily found
Why not? Business is business

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 04, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
unless it illegal

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 04, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »

Some of the stuff I do is not exactly, shall we say, legal.  And yes, there is some risk involved.  That being said, depending on WHO asks, I may be amenable to providing info.  If you have pissed me off before, do not even think of asking me for advice or help.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:21:35 PM by PBaruch »
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1223 on: February 04, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
If you manage to find such people and decide to post that information in a public forum, go ahead.  You won't get that info from me.

I know of such people. And have friends who know of many more.

My point is that there is no need for the cloak and dagger nonsense, especially so when one can simply "reveal" that this activity exists, and not any specific individual(s).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1224 on: February 04, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
Some of the stuff I do is not exactly, shall we say, legal.  And yes, there is some risk involved.  That being said, depending on WHO asks, I may be amenable to providing info.  If you have pissed me off before, do not even think of asking me for advice or help.

Way to foster a collegial community. 

Anyone who gets turned down by OP for the reason stated can feel free to PM me directly.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 04, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Way to foster a collegial community. 

Anyone who gets turned down by OP for the reason stated can feel free to PM me directly.

Yes, you (of all people) is Mr. Collegial.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 04, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
Yes, you (of all people) is are Mr. Collegial.

FTFY

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but I don't think anyone would question my previous and continued contributions to this forum.

Like I said, anyone who has dared "piss off" the OP, and gets turned down because of that audacity, feel free to PM me directly.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 04, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »
I'm happy to help most folks here.  Just not you.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 04, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
Wow someone is being extra bitter today.........

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 04, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »

Not at all.  I am super happy.  I just got back from 8 days in paradise.  Couldn't ask for more.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 04, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »

You're apparently not following the convo.  This has nothing to do with me, but I'm not sure you're getting that fact.

Why would I be asking you for the info that I've already been offering to provide to who may also have had the nerve to upset His Highness?

I didn't believe it when I read the study, but some people returning from vacation apparently experience similar symptoms as do drug addicts on their way down from a high.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 04, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »

You're apparently not following the convo.  This has nothing to do with me, but I'm not sure you're getting that fact.

Why would I be asking you for the info that I've already been offering to provide to who may also have had the nerve to upset His Highness?

I heard you.  Good luck getting the access I have gotten.

Offline 3yummyboys

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 04, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
Sorry to intrude on this war, but PB how many days of shabbos did you keep (if any)?

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 04, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »
\

I didn't believe it when I read the study, but some people returning from vacation apparently experience similar symptoms as do drug addicts on their way down from a high.
apparently he is holier-than-thou

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 04, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

Oh goodie, the cloak and dagger stuff continues.  Ladies and gents, he has exclusive information for unprecedented access to some possibly <gasp> illegal things.

Dude, it's time for some more happy pills. Everyone else here just wants to talk vacation, not perpetuate meaningless grudges.

And with that, I'm out. Feel free to have the last word.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 04, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Oh goodie, the cloak and dagger stuff continues.  Ladies and gents, he has exclusive information for unprecedented access to some possible <gasp> illegal things.

Dude, it's time for some more happy pills.

Can I borrow some of your happy pills?

Offline 3yummyboys

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 04, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »
Popcorn anyone?

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1237 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
I just put mine away. :D

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 04, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
Sorry to intrude on this war, but PB how many days of shabbos did you keep (if any)?

We keep one day. 

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
Thank you SomethingFishy, Dan, and everyone else here for all your help with trip planning. Winded up going to Kauai, Big Island, and then a bit of HNL, all in the small time-frame I had.
Frankly, I still don't understand why people think Hawaii is the prettiest place on earth, but maybe I'm just an outlier, or I missed the best parts?, dunno.
So you'll probably tell me I didn't spend your "minimum" time "required" to spend on an island?! Eh. I'm not running back.
Don't get me wrong, it's very pretty, but... there is prettier.
I do agree that the air in Kauai is beyond description.

You may think I'm off my rocker, but IMHO beaches in the Caribbean (and for that matter Miami :o ) are nicer than Hawaii's.
It boggles my mind how Hapuna Beach can be rated one of the nicest beaches in the world.

Only KOA and HNL have a minyan on shabbos.
I had cousins that went this summer and went to KOA for Shabbos and there wasn't much of a Minyan. My cousin ended up "laining" for them because there was no one else to do it.
Having gone in the winter (to KOA), I can now tell you that he didn't have a minyan (daytime, nighttime there was a minyan) in the winter either (at least the week I went).

Not sure how your cousins felt, but I came away from this shul very disappointed (no, not because he didn't have a minyan).