Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 484923 times)

Offline jd399

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #780 on: April 16, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
whats the deal with flying to hawaii and back during sefira?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #781 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »
whats the deal with flying to hawaii and back during sefira?

AYLOR
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline dansdealsfan5

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 18, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »
Is there any way to get free baggage on hawaiin (im using aa miles - will my one world sapphire status help?)?

Also, I'm only finding ogg-hnl-nyc for my return. If ogg-lax-nyc opens up would i be able to switch and get back the 5k?

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 18, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »
Is there any way to get free baggage on hawaiin (im using aa miles - will my one world sapphire status help?)?
Not sure about the status  but I know if you buy the tix using Dans Corp account you can get a free bag (or free bags?).

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #784 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
Not sure about the status  but I know if you buy the tix using Dans Corp account you can get a free bag (or free bags?).

2 bags, but he's using AA miles so that didn't apply to him.

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 20, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
2 bags, but he's using AA miles so that didn't apply to him.
Yes I saw that. Still it might be worth it to buy the tix depending on how many bags he has and of course ticket prices...

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 20, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
Assuming my luggage gets forwarded automatically, if I land in HNL at 3:37pm is it possible to catch a flight to OGG at 3:59pm?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #787 on: April 20, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
No.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 20, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Assuming my luggage gets forwarded automatically, if I land in HNL at 3:37pm is it possible to catch a flight to OGG at 3:59pm?

Give yourself about an hour

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 24, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
Hi i need a response from some of the veterans, maybe even the great reb dan.......
2 summers ago, my wife and i went on an unbelievable (first class, free hotels, car upgrades etc) 2 week trip to Maui and TBI. We went on every amazing hike, saw every sight etc. 90% of it we could not have done if we had our gorgeous 2 y/o daughter with us.
Now we have a 3.5 y/o and a 6 month old and are trying to decide weather we should take the kids with us on our Delta glitch price flight to HNL from JFK. We only got business class to LAX and from SLC.
To bring the kids or not.....
The chakira is azoi: if taking the kids will prevent us from doing hikes, climbing, scuba etc then what is the real difference between HNL and, say a place like Key West or Cancun? If the difference is very small, then I have little interest flying halfway around the world to a place with limited kosher options with 2 kids if i can get the same experience in Florida.
If there is still a number of once in a lifetime experiences/sights (mauna kea, waipio falls, road to hana etc) we can see with 2 little kids in HNL then we would do it.......

To conclude (sorry, brevity is not a strong point with me): what CAN you do with 2 kids in HNL that cant be done in any other nice beach town.....

Thanks in advance

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
« Reply #790 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »
Hi all,

10th anniversary in November. only 250K UR Points , 100K Southwest, 80K SPG. Looking to take the wife to Hawaii. Not Comfortable staying for Shabbos and 5 kids at home so cant stay away so long anyway. So the first idea I had was to get to HI on a Sunday and leave on Friday to LA or SF for Shabbos.
How would you recommend the following :
1. We only have 5 days and we will probably never do this again so which Island and what to do in only 5 days.
2. booking flights , First Class if possible from EWR to any Island
3. Hotels

thanks in advance...

Offline PBaruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
« Reply #791 on: April 28, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »
Hi all,

10th anniversary in November. only 250K UR Points , 100K Southwest, 80K SPG. Looking to take the wife to Hawaii. Not Comfortable staying for Shabbos and 5 kids at home so cant stay away so long anyway. So the first idea I had was to get to HI on a Sunday and leave on Friday to LA or SF for Shabbos.
How would you recommend the following :
1. We only have 5 days and we will probably never do this again so which Island and what to do in only 5 days.
2. booking flights , First Class if possible from EWR to any Island
3. Hotels

thanks in advance...

1.  Your topic heading is Big Island.  If this is the island you are interested in, what to do has been discussed at length in the Big Island thread.  It is not a terribly long thread and it would do you good to read it in its entirety.

2. Korean Air has the cheapest redemption rate to Hawaii (booked on United) and you can transfer UR points to Korean.  United currently charges 180k for a round trip first class ticket to Hawaii.  They fly directly from Newark to Honolulu. 

3. If you do decide to go to the Big Island, the Sheraton Kona is about 10k Starwood points per night plus the approximate $30.00 resort fee. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:30:28 PM by PBaruch »
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #792 on: April 28, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »
We only have 5 days and we will probably never do this again

Not gonna happen. Come to Hawaii once and you'll be hooked for life. You WILL be back, mark my words :D.

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 28, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
  United currently charges 180k for a round trip first class ticket to Hawaii.  They fly directly from Newark to Honolulu.   

Isn't the nonstop service business only at 40k each way? That's what we're paying (except that NYC-HNL is a "free" oneway that cost us 15k).

Offline njmacman

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 28, 2014, 06:35:46 PM »
I did 90,000 points American for 2 round trip JFK to HNL for this summer.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 28, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
Isn't the nonstop service business only at 40k each way? That's what we're paying (except that NYC-HNL is a "free" oneway that cost us 15k).

Guess you haven't been reading news lately.  United devalued their points.  First off, it was never really 40k first each way booked directly on United unless you miraculously found a saver First Class rate.  And even if you did manage to find a saver First, good luck on getting 2 tickets at the saver rate. 

Otherwise, each way used to be 80k in First but when they devalued the points they raised it to 90k each way in First.

And just to be clear, I am talking about the lay flat seats from EWR to HNL.  As far as I know, United is the only carrier that offers fully lay flat seats to Hawaii from the NYC area.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 28, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
To say that it costs 90k each way is misleading. No one (I guess with the exception of you) books standard awards
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline kangarruu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 28, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
Guess you haven't been reading news lately.  United devalued their points.  First off, it was never really 40k first each way booked directly on United unless you miraculously found a saver First Class rate.  And even if you did manage to find a saver First, good luck on getting 2 tickets at the saver rate. 

Otherwise, each way used to be 80k in First but when they devalued the points they raised it to 90k each way in First.

And just to be clear, I am talking about the lay flat seats from EWR to HNL.  As far as I know, United is the only carrier that offers fully lay flat seats to Hawaii from the NYC area.

United didn't change the mainland to Hawaii saver prices when they devalued. The layflat seats on the EWR-HNL route are still 40k each way in saver business (there's no first class on the 767-400ER).

As for availability, all things are possible through Dan. Thanks to Plan B, I've got 3/4 flights in saver business, and I'm pretty confident that the last one will work out too.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #798 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »
Huh? I went with 5 saver seats between HNL and  IAH and EWR in J/F.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 28, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »
Huh? I went with 5 saver seats between HNL and  IAH and EWR in J/F.

I was never able to find saver First when I needed it for more than 1 ticket.