Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 485102 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #940 on: August 27, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
Why make plans before asking a rov?
It's a good point. I was just trying to get a feel for the amount of time to spend there.
Yeah, I realize Shab would have to be in Oahu. There are no Sunday morning flights on *A?

If you are referring to UA, no - AFAIK the direct flight from HNL to EWR always leaves at night.  Then again, I actually prefer it.  You get almost a full extra day in Hawaii and get to sleep on the flight.  We took the UA flight this past Jan - ate supper (which was fairly disgusting) and then fell asleep.  Woke up when the pilot announced the final descent into EWR.   :)
Nice. I thought Hawaiin is also *A.
If you have to keep two days shabbos leaving Thursday is problematic too. You gotta AYLOR before you make any travel plans.
True point.

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
The Hawaiian direct flight from HNL to JFK leaves in the afternoon, not morning.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
The Hawaiian direct flight from HNL to JFK leaves in the afternoon, not morning.
Thanks.

Okay, so I guess all this hypothetical talk is silly. I should first speak to my Rav and find out from work if/when I can actually take off.

I was just hoping to get an idea of how many hotel points I'd need so I can start collecting more points/nights now because I won't know about work for a little while still.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 02, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »
Thoughts from the HI pros?
Fairmont CC comes with 2 nights for $3K spend...
I just did the Fairmont CC for me and my wife, using the nights at the Kea Lani on Maui. The combination of the signup bonus and the FPC Premier status you automatically get for having the card gives you an impressive array of certificates to use:

2 x $25 Dining/Willow Stream Certificate
1 x 3rd Night Free
1 x Complimentary Room Upgrade
1 x Complimentary Suite Upgrade
4 x $25 Breakfast Certificate
2 x Complimentary Night

That's per card, so double it if you're signing up the Mrs for a card as well. We only went for 4 nights, so we didn't use the 3rd night free. The Kea Lani is all suite, and they upgraded us into an oceanview room, so we didn't use either upgrade certificate (you'd probably need those to get a suite at the Orchid though). But between the 2 of us, we used up the entire $300 worth of breakfast/spa/dining. My wife used about half of that at the spa, and the rest we used at the 'deli' there. They had uncut fruit, bottled drinks (milk, coffee, OJ, soda, etc), Ben and Jerry's ice cream, wine (didn't check if any was kosher), and some kosher packaged snacks. Obviously the prices are outrageous, but to me it was free, and helped to not have to buy or bring certain items.

This was my first trip to HI, and we only stayed in one place, so I can't really say what's the best. Personally, I really liked the hotel and it's grounds/amenities and would recommend it to others. There were definitely a lot of families there, but I think that was true everywhere in Maui while we were there, as summer vacation is prime traveling time for families.

As far as what to do while you're in HI, definitely don't just sit at the beach. Speaking specifically for Maui, try some water sports, whether locally at the beach by the hotel you're staying in, or something more involved. Definitely check go up to Haleakala for sunrise, even if you don't want to hike any of the trails there. Road to Hana is fantastic too, and you can probably look through Maui Revelead to pick out sights that don't require to much hiking to appreciate.

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:02 AM »
You can't use third night free with the 2 signup nights, correct?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:59 AM »
Thanks for the info! Good to know about the details of the Fairmont CC and your hotel. Haven't really come back to this decision for a few days, but I hope to get there soon.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #946 on: September 02, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
You can't use third night free with the 2 signup nights, correct?
You wish ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #947 on: September 02, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
Kea Lani is a very good hotel, but grounds/pools aren't mindblowing like they are at the GHK and Andaz.

And the Andaz suite is mush larger than the Kea Lani suite though I didn't see a standard Andaz room which I'm sure is smaller than the Kea Lani suite.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 02, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »
Kea Lani is a very good hotel, but grounds/pools aren't mindblowing like they are at the GHK and Andaz.
Thanks, that's good to know. Have you stayed at all 3?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 02, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
Thanks, that's good to know. Have you stayed at all 3?
Yes and written TRs on them (as well as other contenders like SRP and HRM) so you should know that ;)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:39 AM »
Yes and written TRs on them (as well as other contenders like SRP and HRM) so you should know that ;)
I did not notice the Kea Lani in a TR. Could be I missed one, okay!?  :P

Online myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
Ok im thinking about possibly doing a trip to hawaii in december from NYC but am having some issues and need some advice. I am very limited by my dates I can leave in the evening of Wed Dec 24th or anytime Thursday Dec 25th and I must be back in ny by the evening of Sun Jan 4th. I can find availability in economy (I know I will try and upgrade but if its my only option....) for the way there ny-iad-hnl on dec 25th. But i can not find any availability at all to fly black from anywhere on saturday night jan 3rd or early on sunday january 4th. I'm thinking maybe I will only go for a week and instead go to denver where I have family on thursday January 1st and then onto ny on sunday.

Is it stupid for me to fly from the east coast and only have a week? Anyone have any other options for me?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »

And the Andaz suite is mush larger than the Kea Lani suite though I didn't see a standard Andaz room which I'm sure is smaller than the Kea Lani suite.
I was very impressed and satisfied with the grounds at the Kea Lani, but I realize it probably doesn't quite reach the heights of some of the other Wailea resorts (aside from the Andaz, the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons are supposedly pretty impressive too). The main reason I didn't end up going to the Andaz is the cost of a suite. I realize that C+P with a diamond upgrade cert (assuming @Yehuda has or can get one) is a great value, but $150/night is still $150/night out of pocket.

As far as the suites, to be honest, once it's big enough that I don't feel cramped, the extra space probably would make no difference to me. The Andaz bathroom looked really cool in your pics, but the Kea Lani's wasn't too bad either. The most important thing for me would be what view you end up with, and that doesn't seem like anything you can guarantee in either hotel.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: September 02, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Ok im thinking about possibly doing a trip to hawaii in december from NYC but am having some issues and need some advice. I am very limited by my dates I can leave in the evening of Wed Dec 24th or anytime Thursday Dec 25th and I must be back in ny by the evening of Sun Jan 4th. I can find availability in economy (I know I will try and upgrade but if its my only option....) for the way there ny-iad-hnl on dec 25th. But i can not find any availability at all to fly black from anywhere on saturday night jan 3rd or early on sunday january 4th. I'm thinking maybe I will only go for a week and instead go to denver where I have family on thursday January 1st and then onto ny on sunday.

Is it stupid for me to fly from the east coast and only have a week? Anyone have any other options for me?

One week is enough for one island and I would not recommend island hopping.  That being said, you probably won't have a chance to do everything you might want to do but it will be an excuse for you to go back.   :)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »
One week is enough for one island and I would not recommend island hopping.  That being said, you probably won't have a chance to do everything you might want to do but it will be an excuse for you to go back.   :)
Lol, exactly how I feel right now.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
Lol, exactly how I feel right now.

We typically go for about a week every year because I cannot get 2 weeks off from work and pull my kids out of school for longer - my feeling is that I'll take a week of paradise rather than nothing.  After you go, I am sure that you will feel the same way. 

Online myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »
hmmmm. Thanks for the advice. Need to decide what we want to do.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 02, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
We typically go for about a week every year because I cannot get 2 weeks off from work and pull my kids out of school for longer - my feeling is that I'll take a week of paradise rather than nothing.  After you go, I am sure that you will feel the same way.
Oh, absolutely, I agree. I just came back on Friday. I meant about the bolded line.
I loved every second of it (except the part where I missed my return flight - don't worry, mostly happy ending), but more time would have meant being able to do/see more things and the ability to spread things out so as not to feel rushed.

Online myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »
Well then I need to decide which island do i want to spend a week on.

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
Well then I need to decide which island do i want to spend a week on.
TBI or kauai