Topic Wiki

AMEX T&C on all cards state you can't have had the card within the last 12 months. Most usually specify the family (Gold, Platinum, Zync). Usually no crossover biz to personal (i.e. you can get biz bonus when you have personal).
Sometimes they only disallow that card (i.e. if you have platinum you may still get gold).
How do you know what the terms are?
READ THE T&C ON THE APPLICATION PAGE. THEY ARE VERY CLEAR!!!

Update 4/24/13:
It's no longer clear who will get the bonus, but it's very clear who will not receive it.

Beware of the new addition to the T&C of personal cards:
If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
We don't know yet the effects, it can't be good, so take it into consideration. It might be a way to cut off churners even after a year of having the product.

You should always send a SM several times. There were multiple reports of success if persistent enough after being denied the bonus. Don't bother calling, only SM! Don't give up so fast. Be creative and harsh. Say that a rep told you that you will get the bonus on the card. Follow up, demand an investigation and follow up again.

I am on the phone with a representative and she is saying that after May 1st, you are only eligible for bonus points on a card once in a lifetime for a card!
Please say this is not true

« Last edited by SearchGuy on March 10, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Author Topic: New Amex Bonus Terms  (Read 175361 times)

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
New Amex Bonus Terms
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
Just read a blog entry from another travel blogger regarding changes in Amex's treatment for churning cards for bonuses. Now i know its not new that Amex has significantly restricted people from exploiting its offers, but havent seen these specific claims discussed here. Wanted to see what people's experience is...

1. "cant get a bonus on t he same card if you've had a similar card within the last 12 months". i know it was recently added to their signup pages, but did they just start enforcing this seriously? the blogger said he got denied for SPG bonus due to this reason. anyone else had a similar experience?

2. "canceling the card short time after opening and receiving the signup bonus". Blogger mentions that it looks very very bad and that they can actually take the bonus back after such cancellation? did anyone had any such experience? didn't think they could take the bonus points back...

Thanks

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Bonus Terms
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »
These questions have been asked before, no they don't take your bonus back if you cancel.

Sounds like whatever blogger you're reading isn't very smart or knows what he's talking about.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
These questions have been asked before, no they don't take your bonus back if you cancel.

Sounds like whatever blogger you're reading isn't very smart or knows what he's talking about.
+1
and it was discussed here many times. do a search.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
+1
and it was discussed here many times. do a search.

I did read the threads, and there arent many recent experiences posted that would lead one to a sound conclusion related to the new 12 month rule. In this game, it doesn't matter what worked for years in the past, it only matters what works now, and given the recent changes in Amex, the only way to gauge their tolerance is through people posting their recent experience in getting bonuses from Amex.

Thanks

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
I did read the threads, and there arent many recent experiences posted that would lead one to a sound conclusion related to the new 12 month rule. In this game, it doesn't matter what worked for years in the past, it only matters what works now, and given the recent changes in Amex, the only way to gauge their tolerance is through people posting their recent experience in getting bonuses from Amex.

Thanks

Whatever you say champ

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »

Thanks
You obviously didnt do a good search cuz this was asked so many times recently... SPG is one of the easiest cards to churn.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »
I don't know what blogger you're reading, but that's not very good info and he probably just doesn't know how to churn SPG.

You have the picture to prove it! Btw, why didn't you arrange the picture by card type?

Also, is that the full family portrait, or are we missing some members, and if so, can we get the full portrait?

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
You obviously didnt do a good search cuz this was asked so many times recently... SPG is one of the easiest cards to churn.

Ok, so tell me, when was the last time you churned it? was it in the past month? past week?

Amex bonus matching worked great too for a while, until 1 day it stopped working. While that blogger might be a complete idiot (and i dont even know his name, lol) he has obviously done it before, but wasn't able to pull it off now. his or her post is recent, so the only way i can refute is by getting others recent experiences that say it is still churnable, which was the purpose of this thread.

Plus, its not even about SPG, but rather has implications regarding Amex overall policy regarding the 12 month rule, which has been debated a lot, but i think could be very important.

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
Start here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=18962.msg280113#msg280113

Thanks, have read that thread before, but it doesnt provide an answer to my question, which is similar to what PETERP asked...

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

Like many bloggers about cc's all over the web. Some of the stuff they write is ROFL! And they have a lot of followers.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline compddd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
Let the dumb bloggers have legions of followers. They will tell them they can't apply for CCs very often so it means more for us.

Offline RavChik

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Do you know if the 12 month rule applies to any AX card or only to exactly the same card? Can I apply for AX DeltaSky and get a bonus after I closed the AX Gold?

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Do you know if the 12 month rule applies to any AX card or only to exactly the same card? Can I apply for AX DeltaSky and get a bonus after I closed the AX Gold?
The 12 month rule doesn't exist.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
The 12 month rule doesn't exist.

It does, they just don't enforce it.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »

same thing.

Offline RavChik

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »

Thank you. Nace to know this 8)

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
same thing.
very lame/untrue for a lamdan

Offline mordy44

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »

+1

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »
I'm no lamdan. It's my cottenpicken username!!!!