Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 168378 times)

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
As a Cincinnati resident of 5 years here is my list: (Copying some from dans :-)

Pros:
-Amberley village (the main frum neighborhood) is quite, crime is virtually unheard of, The police are there to serve you, and will even stop by and change the light bulbs by the elderly residents houses.
-As long as you have your Amberley Village resident sticker tickets for speeding are unheard of :-)
-Housing is very cheap.
-Parking is plentiful and traffic is nothing compared to most cities.  There's also cheap train service connecting the jewish community with downtown and the airport.
-Snow is plowed as it comes down, and streets are pre-treated
-The streets are clean and everyone has their own driveways / garages.
-Taxes are moderate, much less than NYC and LA, though more than MIA.
-Stores have generous policies compared to the NYC area.
-People are generally quite friendly and willing to help you out/midwest attitude and slower paced.
-Many major cities (Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Cleveland) are within driving distance .
-Every 4 years your vote really means something.
-Weather is fairly nice, only a few snowfalls a year.
-Full tuition is about $9,000 but if you live in an area where the public school is failing you get vouchers ($4200 value, is considered full tuition for low earners).

Cons:

-The kosher restaurant scene is LOUSY (jcc cafe, pizza cafe, bagel shop & Indian restaurant)
Dan, relatively you got it great food wise in Cleveland :-)
I am doing the first week of Bike 4 Friendship. http://sponsor.bike4friendship.org/mendy

Offline normallyavoyeur

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Amherst (suburb of Buffalo) NY - Resident for about 4 years

I will take categories from Dan too.  We have friends who have moved from Buffalo to Cleveland and they love it!

Pros:
- To me, without question, the reason to be here is the rabbi.  Rabbi Moshe Taub has been the rabbi of the Young Israel of Buffalo for 9 years.  He has a weekly column in Ami Magazine.  He just recently published an article in the Journal of Contemporary Halacha. 
http://www.eichlers.com/journal-of-halacha-and-contemporary-society-64.html

Here is an example of one of his shiurim on halachik wills
http://koshertube.com/videos/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=50&task=videodirectlink&id=6326

- There are consistently jobs available in the medical, nursing and nursing home administration fields.  Other fields are not as plentiful
- Amherst (the main frum neighborhood) is quiet, crime is virtually unheard of.  Consistently ranked among the safest cities in America
  11th on this list http://www.businessinsider.com/safest-cities-in-america-2011-6?op=1
- Parking is plentiful and traffic is nothing compared to most cities.  Highways were built for a population that was once double its size now (opposite of NY and Toronto)
- Snow is plowed as soon as it comes down.
- The streets are clean and everyone has their own driveways / garages.
- Houses are $125-250K, even right near the shuls.
- Taxes are moderate.  $150,000 home pays about $3,500
- People are generally quite friendly and willing to help you out/midwest attitude and slower paced.  After a birth your family will get a minimum of 2 weeks        of meals.  People are upset if they don't get a chance to make a meal for you.  When there is a shiva home, the entire shul davens at the shiva home.
- Many major cities (Toronto, NYC, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland) are within driving distance .
- Tuition is low
- Beautiful Mikvah (men's and women's) - More beautiful than any mikvah I have seen in NY (outside of upper west side)
- People don't expect luxury, they expect simplicity.
- Flights to New York are often $55-$75 each way (off hours - more for prime hours) and there are usually multiple flights each hour.
- Strong minyan during the week.
- Many young frum couples have moved in within the last 5 years (over ten), some for short term, but most are permanent.
- School (Ohr Temimim School) is expanding the building because, baruch Hashem, there is no room left. 
- NY State Post Graduate Schools - Dental, Medical, Law, Nursing etc.. (and tuitions)
- Eruv - built this past year
- Wegman's - One of the nicest and best grocery stores I've ever been too.  Free toddler sitting while you shop!  Rochester residents would concur
- Early stages of planning for a community kollel

Cons:

-Not much in terms of kosher restaurants, but that has been getting better in the last couple of years.  We have a kosher bakery and deli in the supermarket which have been there for years and recently the University of Buffalo opened a meat cafe, JCC opened a dairy cafe and kosher frozen yogurt opened (Yo Betty).  Nothing fancy at all.
- Too many shuls - There are 5 orthodox shuls within 15 min drive of each other.  Each one has about 35-40 families.
- No high school (yet).   Many send their children out for high school - Cleveland, Hamilton, Baltimore, Chicago, New York etc. Given the demographics, there will likely be a high school within 5-10 years.

Offline Centurion

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »
yerushalyim only pros no cons-
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
Cle - chase pulls from TU :)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »

Let's be realistic ;)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6230
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
Way too many Jews. I'd go crazy.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Give More Likes, It's Free!

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
Way too many Jews. I'd go crazy.
That's your biggest problem??
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
I doubt you'll get many responses in this thread. Most people have not thought about this. There are four basic reasons people live where they do.
1.this is where they always lived and never gave any thought to where I want to live (how most decisions in life are made)
2. I would never leave Brooklyn-it's smelly, overcrowded, loud and there are no gas and trees.
3. My wife would never live outside of walking distance from her mother-it might force her to grow up.
4. This is where my job is

Is there animosity between factions in Cleveland? A lot of politics?
3. lol true,
Another major thing is there are always events going on in the NYC area. As a single person I love living in NY so many people my age and things to do. Also restaurants delivering for free at 1am has come in handy many many times.

Mosdos has some animosity FWIR but nothing visible really...

That's your biggest problem??
Oh true no overnight shipping from amazon prime. Why what is yours? I've only lived there for a few days...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:41:14 AM by jj1000 »

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

Oh true no overnight shipping from amazon prime. Why what is yours? I've only lived there for a few days...
I lived there for close to 5 years and I tell you as much as I got used to the Israeli attitude it just killed me every time I had to deal with Israelis. And I'm not talking about any major dealings, Im talking about day to day life like buying an apple from the makolet.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
I doubt you'll get many responses in this thread. Most people have not thought about this. There are four basic reasons people live where they do.
1.this is where they always lived and never gave any thought to where I want to live (how most decisions in life are made)
2. I would never leave Brooklyn-it's smelly, overcrowded, loud and there are no gas and trees.
3. My wife would never live outside of walking distance from her mother-it might force her to grow up.
4. This is where my job is
Is there animosity between factions in Cleveland? A lot of politics?
Lol, #3 was the reason I broke up with some girls.  I did appreciate their honesty though :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
Dan, reckon you would have moved to Cleveland if you weren't from there?
I probably would never have even visited CLE. Except maybe to get front row seats to see my sports teams play there for dirt cheap and to check out Cedar Point.

I'd have to imagine if I grew up in NYC that I'd find my way out.  The crime, lack of greenery, noise, bad climate (too humid in summer, typical east coast winters, plus hurricanes/flodding), inconveniences of traffic/parking, corrupt cops, high cost of living seem to outweigh having nice restaurants.
If I grew up in LA/MIA though then you're right I'd probably never leave.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
Animosity between groups in Cleveland?

how long is the commute to downtown?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Not a native, but I don't think there is anything major going on.
~30 min I think.

The point you guys in the small towns are missing, is CLE probably had at least 50x more frum families than these other towns. It's a real frum city. Also (and probably partially therefore) the education system is amazing. 3 schools, one right, one left, one center (well, more right center). Not too many "out of towns" have that
If you think kids chinuch in Lakewood is messed up, look at jlm. Makes Lakewooders look like Clevelanders.

Lol, #3 was the reason I broke up with some girls.  I did appreciate their honesty though :D
And the reason I insisted on moving to Israel to start marriage.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Free trial! Check out eliteitinerary.com
Code:DD

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »

None visible. Everyone really gets along well. If you don't say good shabbos to someone you will get a weird look. Unlike NY where its the opposite.

20 min. to downtown.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
If you don't say good shabbos to someone you will get a weird look.

That depends on the hood.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Free trial! Check out eliteitinerary.com
Code:DD