Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 788485 times)

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2700 on: September 03, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »
Yup, lots of changes in willowbrook. also kollel has kind of fallen off while chassidim have grown exponentially (and the eruv has gotten bigger so some more options esp if you are happy in a more chassidish crowd). no longer the bargain it once was, though lots of new pluses.

are there several kosher meat and dairy restaurants nearby?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2701 on: September 04, 2017, 02:32:04 AM »
are there several kosher meat and dairy restaurants nearby?
nope. in staten island there is a good pizza/ziti/basic sushi place, an israeli breakfast/ice cream place, Holy Schnitzel (original and best), dunkin donuts (under R Mehlman) and a shwarma/falafel place, plus a do it all place in the JCC. still no all in one kosher supermarket ala seasons, though that is coming, but there is a small and good makolet with most items (but no fresh takeout, which u need to order for delivery before shabbos from brooklyn).
of course boro park and places like bison and bourbon are 20 minutes away, and the city in the evening is about 35-40 minutes.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: September 06, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
https://cross-currents.com/2017/09/04/houston-relief-sidebar-community/

I always loved Rabbi Adlerstein's shiurim, from when I lived in LA and it's ironic that he so beautifully describes why I left LA and moved to a smaller community...

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
I always loved Rabbi Adlerstein's shiurim, from when I lived in LA and it's ironic that he so beautifully describes why I left LA and moved to a smaller community...
While I agree with him about the benefits of a smaller community, I disagree on his main point-that only a small community like Dallas could come together to provide the food that they did (and probably still are). I'm on a mobile so I won't get into to many details but I was in the 5towns during Sandy and the things that went on there was unmatched. Maybe it didn't get as much fanfare and PR because it was local (although there were definitely people from Baltimore, passiac, etc helping) but there were shuls that became virtual food banks, giving out meals to hundreds, if not thousands, organizations and private people contacting companies to donate (a friend of mine had a massive garage  full of clothing, baby supplies, toys, that a few people solicited from manufacturers and people were able to come and take whatever they needed) and many other 'acts of kindness' like helping with demo, driving people to work, and so on.
Point number 2 is-did you see what Seasons did? I don't know all of the details but from the pictures I've seen, they collected from several tristate communities (plus Baltimore) truckloads of donated supplies for houston.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: September 06, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
While I agree with him about the benefits of a smaller community, I disagree on his main point-that only a small community like Dallas could come together to provide the food that they did (and probably still are). I'm on a mobile so I won't get into to many details but I was in the 5towns during Sandy and the things that went on there was unmatched. Maybe it didn't get as much fanfare and PR because it was local (although there were definitely people from Baltimore, passiac, etc helping) but there were shuls that became virtual food banks, giving out meals to hundreds, if not thousands, organizations and private people contacting companies to donate (a friend of mine had a massive garage  full of clothing, baby supplies, toys, that a few people solicited from manufacturers and people were able to come and take whatever they needed) and many other 'acts of kindness' like helping with demo, driving people to work, and so on.
Point number 2 is-did you see what Seasons did? I don't know all of the details but from the pictures I've seen, they collected from several tristate communities (plus Baltimore) truckloads of donated supplies for houston.
+1. The whole article makes no sense, because it's all based around
Other communities could not do the job, I believe.
which is demonstrably false.

OOT communities have many strengths, including some of the things he mentioned. But to say that they're more effective in chesed, and specifically in crisis relief situations like this is laughable.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: September 06, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
+1. The whole article makes no sense, because it's all based aroundwhich is demonstrably false.

OOT communities have many strengths, including some of the things he mentioned. But to say that they're more effective in chesed, and specifically in crisis relief situations like this is laughable.

I agree that other, larger communities rally together but the day in day out living OOT IS more of a community feel. Like what he talked about with the Shabbos invites and being able to be on boards of institutions even if you aren't rich. That stuff is totally true.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:14:53 PM by Denverite »

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: September 06, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
I agree that other, larger communities rally together but the day in day living OOT IS more of a community feel. Like what he talked about with the Shabbos invites and being able to be on boards of institutions even if you aren't rich. That stuff is totally true.
Great. I agree. But the whole point of the article was about Dallas stepping up for Houston, allegedly in contrast to larger communities. That's nonsense.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: September 09, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/cleveland_ranks_2nd_in_list_of.html
Meh, take away to flood risk to seagate/coney island etc and I doubt CLE is any better than Brooklyn.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2711 on: September 09, 2017, 10:55:59 PM »
Meh, take away to flood risk to seagate/coney island etc and I doubt CLE is any better than Brooklyn.
No hurricanes make it here.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:55 PM »
No hurricanes make it here.
They don't make it to Brooklyn either :P

Yes, there'll be an anomaly like Sandy, but even that had virtually no impact in Brooklyn outside of the areas right on the coast e.g. Seagate

I don't really understand the data they're using for this exactly, although I'm sure CLE scores a little higher on paper, I highly doubt there's much of a noticeable real-life difference.

Also, it seems like the tornado risk in CLE is slightly higher than the hurricane risk to Brooklyn.

ETA: my point is this list is kinda silly. Once you're talking about places that aren't in a real danger zone the differences are going to be inconsequential and the rankings don't mean much.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: October 03, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Brooklyn:

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: October 03, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »
Brooklyn:

An olde..

Bit some might consider it a pro...

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
Same in israel

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2716 on: October 25, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
Yup, lots of changes in willowbrook. also kollel has kind of fallen off while chassidim have grown exponentially (and the eruv has gotten bigger so some more options esp if you are happy in a more chassidish crowd). no longer the bargain it once was, though lots of new pluses.
plenty of larger houses/lots (compared to brooklyn, of course not woodmere) with basements, though those go for higher and few are for sale at reasonable prices since the hood is still in a relatively small radius. way too many high ranches (with kitchen/living/dining room on second floor) though. yeah, although i love the people and feel, dont see how we stay long term with prices so high that we can sell and get a better deal/bigger house elsewhere.

Official Staten Island community map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1iZ53NgFD_MctamjNcPOADliYiiE&ll=40.60484671593782%2C-74.13585688017042&z=13
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #2717 on: October 25, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
anyone here know about the clifton young jewish community?
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #2718 on: October 25, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »
Official Staten Island community map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1iZ53NgFD_MctamjNcPOADliYiiE&ll=40.60484671593782%2C-74.13585688017042&z=13
Is this accurate? I would have thought that there would be blocks that are more concentrated with yidden.
^^^

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2719 on: October 25, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
Is this accurate? I would have thought that there would be blocks that are more concentrated with yidden.

Yes, 100% up to date.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons