Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 797922 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2940 on: March 07, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
It gets quite windy in Cleveland. They are very good at trimming trees near power lines, so winds generally end up being less of an issue
Also the snow tends to be colder lighter, meaning it causes less of an issue weakening structures. How often do trees fall down in the winter? Trimming trees by utility poles is not something that only CLE does. ..

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2941 on: March 07, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
People coming for vouchers move to UH. But due to the massive influx housing everywhere has gone up by 35-70%.
So does that mean that the housing prices in Beachwood are much more stable (have not skyrocketed 35-70%) if the voucher thing is not applicable?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2942 on: March 07, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
So does that mean that the housing prices in Beachwood are much more stable (have not skyrocketed 35-70%) if the voucher thing is not applicable?
No, Beachwood has increased just as much if not more than UH due to various factors.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2943 on: March 07, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
FYI, the power outtages were for 60 mph winds that knocked down trees and caused cars to crash on utility infrastructure. The day with the significant power outtages also had under an inch of snow accumulation in most places. Snow doesnt typically knock down power alone.

Well, this past Friday I lost power in my home, something that shouldn't have happened with underground power. It was only my house, and was both phases, which is rather unusual. I'm definitely happy that this didn't occur on Erev Pesach. Con Ed fixed it in less than 24 hours.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 07, 2018, 04:31:51 PM »
No, Beachwood has increased just as much if not more than UH due to various factors.
#DdfEffect

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2945 on: March 07, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
Well, this past Friday I lost power in my home, something that shouldn't have happened with underground power. It was only my house, and was both phases, which is rather unusual. I'm definitely happy that this didn't occur on Erev Pesach. Con Ed fixed it in less than 24 hours.
Why do you think that underground wires means no outages?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2946 on: March 07, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
I don't think so, but when people associate outages with storms, they usually think of downed power lines, trees etc.

I look at this outage as a freak occurrence, just my house, both phases. Quite unusual. Was it just a buildup of salt and water that ruined the cables? IDK. Maybe if I'm around when they put the permanent replacement there, I'll be able to inquire.
-- Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
Because I had one in 27 years?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 07, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
I don't think so, but when people associate outages with storms, they usually think of downed power lines, trees etc.

I look at this outage as a freak occurrence, just my house, both phases. Quite unusual. Was it just a buildup of salt and water that ruined the cables? IDK. Maybe if I'm around when they put the permanent replacement there, I'll be able to inquire.
Flooding of various underground junctions can cause outages just like downed poles. Happens all the time.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 07, 2018, 04:44:54 PM »
FWIU you need to have a lot (I don't know what exactly that means) of school age kids for UH to be preferable to Beachwood. If you only have a couple of kids the vouchers are offset by lower property taxes and better services in Beachwood.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: March 07, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »
Flooding of various underground junctions can cause outages just like downed poles. Happens all the time.
But since NYC underground electric junctions are designed to be submersed, it's not that common. I don't recall this ever happening before in my house. I recall once where an entire area (including my house) lost one phase, IIRC that was actually in the summer and was at least partially a result of heavy loads.
-- Dan

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 07, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
FWIU you need to have a lot (I don't know what exactly that means) of school age kids for UH to be preferable to Beachwood. If you only have a couple of kids the vouchers are offset by lower property taxes and better services in Beachwood.

I was wondering that. So then why has CLE exploded so much recently? Everyone says the vouchers but this is crazy. All the benefits of living in Beachwood existed 8 years ago also. So what happened now?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2952 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
It's more complicated than that.

This post is from before vouchers, but the points still apply.
Prices are definitely on the uptick.  Really depends on where you want to live.

Cleveland Heights has the cheapest housing and the most yeshivish community.  But it's older and less safe.  And taxes are high.

University Heights has cheap housing and shares shuls with Beachwood.  There are 4 massive shuls all next door to each other along with several other small options. 

UH has high taxes and poor services though lots of house bargains. 
Beachwood houses are pricier though property and income taxes are lower and services are top-notch.  By services I mean ambulance/fire/police response is under 60 seconds.  Beachwood plows your sidewalk free of charge.  Beachwood has is on-demand garbage pickup besides for the weekly pickup.  And there are no point of sale housing inspections unlike the mamzeirim in CH/UH.

Beachwood houses are also easier to rent/sell in the future as the school system is one of the best in the state versus UH having one of the worst.

But if you want something for $100K you'll probably have to settle on CH/UH.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
I was wondering that. So then why has CLE exploded so much recently? Everyone says the vouchers but this is crazy. All the benefits of living in Beachwood existed 8 years ago also. So what happened now?
I think there has been a general trend to more OOT places.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
Extreme scarcity of housing for sale in Beachwood.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: March 07, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
Just thinking out loud here:
The vouchers really put CLE on the map for people looking to move. once the vouchers draw them in they might find that Beachwood is a better fit for them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: March 07, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »
Just thinking out loud here:
The vouchers really put CLE on the map for people looking to move. once the vouchers draw them in they might find that Beachwood is a better fit for them.
Yup, we sold our home after owning it for 6 years to a family from LA and made a 37% profit. Could have gotten more probably if we tested the open market, but we knew the family and it was easier than listing the home to get a bit more.

I thought that they would pick UH for the vouchers, but they decided on Beachwood in the end.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: March 07, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
It's more complicated than that.
Of course. I was just saying that's (probably an oversimplication of) one of the factors.

IINM another reason (I think you told me this) is that a lot of people in UH who don't qualify for / don't need vouchers are moving to Beachwood now that they can sell their houses in UH to people coming for vouchers

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: March 07, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
IINM another reason (I think you told me this) is that a lot of people in UH who don't qualify for / don't need vouchers are moving to Beachwood now that they can sell their houses in UH to people coming for vouchers
Correct, as the vouchers are only for people who have kids entering K or are moving from out of state. So existing families are taking the profit on their UH homes and upgrading to Beachwood.

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: March 07, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
Extreme scarcity of housing for sale in Beachwood.
Why is that? Just less people want to sell? Is there more of a demand for housing in Beachwood now? If yes, why?

Just trying to figure out the underlying thing here....