Author Topic: Prepaid Cell phone recommendation  (Read 6496 times)

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Prepaid Cell phone recommendation
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
Ok, I've got another question (challenge?) for all you deal hunters.

I'd like to buy a cell phone for someone who doesn't really like cell phones as sort of a gag gift.
Yes, there are still people in this world who don't have phone plans on principle (don't want another bill to pay every month), yet find them uber-convenient when borrowing one.

I'd like to surprise this person on his birthday with a pre-paid phone on his doorstep.

Ideally, it would be great if something like this were going on:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/2273

Any suggestions?
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Prepaid Cell phone recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »
Virgin Mobile (A Sprint MVNO) has $15 phones with $15 in airtime and their rates are better than the competition as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline corny

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »
i have t-mobile prepaid and as a gold reward member [that i spent 100$] im getting 10 cents a min, no monthly fee, and minutes dont expire for a year, its a great plan for me as a yeshiva bocher thats only in town for like two months a year

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »
t-Mobile has free phones with airtime sometimes look out.
Zalman.

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »
Boost mobile has great no contract plans also try virgin wireless

Offline yid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
prepaid phones are usually not worth it unless you barely use your phone, but if you have cingular/ att and want an upgrade without extending your contract check out the att websites deals on prepaid refurb phones. just order the phone with free shipping, and when it arrives remove the prepaid sim card and insert your regular one. i did it and there is no penalty if you don't activate the prepaid line.

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 02:16:41 AM »
Aaaah prepaid cell phones, about time someone brought it up. As "yid" said buying a prepaid phone to replace your existing phone thats on a contract is a great idea. www.gophone.com for att phones (large selection, some such as the A437 are easily unlockable & Quad-Band).

And http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx for T-Mobile prepaid, tiny selection and rarely updated. (V195 seems to be the most solid choice at the moment.

You can also check out http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0801002&type=category for BestBuys prepaid deals, sometimes they have relatively good deals. (Currently the c168i is only $15, but is not easily unlockable (as far as I know).) If you know your way around the net you might be able to unlock it for free, otherwise you'll have to pay for an "imei" unlock service. (Again, as far as I know).

Id suggest GSM prepaid phones as some are easily unlock-able and thus have more use.
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:22 AM »
nah, this is for someone who doesn't care about (or even want) a phone. Unlockability and/or resale value aren't a concern, I'm just getting it as a gag gift (and perhaps as a "pusher" to get him interested in using one so we can keep in touch).

I went for a $15 Virgin Mobile line. $15 of airtime with a free samsung phone that had fairly decent reviews- not sure I can beat that outside of a F.A.R. deal like T-mobile sometimes has.

Even if the guy hates it and decides never to use his phone, our entire investment was $15. :)
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com