Author Topic: value of UA miles  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
value of UA miles
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I found a way that i can consistently earn about 1000 united miles each month and it would cost me $10. That means im purchasing United miles every month for $0.01 per mile hassle free.

Basically i would be automatically debiting my Chase Mortgage payment from a chase checking account. That account has overdraft protection which would only cost me $10 because its a premier account or something like that. The overdraft protection source is my Chase UA card.

So if there is no money in the account when the Direct Debit goes through, it would pull the $1000 from my UA card as a purchase and i'd get 1000 miles for $10.

I'm curious if people think this would be worth it?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: value of UA miles
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
 Id say .01 isnt bad depending on what you want the miles for @ .01 25k is $250 so thats hardly a free domestic tkt, or 75k is a free coach to TLV again hardly free but better then paying say $1400 115k for a biz to TLV or $1150 is NICE but that will take 115 months

.01 is a good price per mile depending what you plan to use the miles for. I could pay apx that when I rent a car but dont and forgo the miles unless I will forsee that I will be running short on miles

so if you dont have an endless intake of miles thats a pretty cheap rate

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
Id say .01 isnt bad depending on what you want the miles for @ .01 25k is $250 so thats hardly a free domestic tkt, or 75k is a free coach to TLV again hardly free but better then paying say $1400 115k for a biz to TLV or $1150 is NICE but that will take 115 months

.01 is a good price per mile depending what you plan to use the miles for. I could pay apx that when I rent a car but dont and forgo the miles unless I will forsee that I will be running short on miles

so if you dont have an endless intake of miles thats a pretty cheap rate

Thanks. Is there a better Chase credit card i should apply for as soon as they let me (another 6 months) and earn the 1000 miles for $10 on there instead?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:52 AM »
Thanks. Is there a better Chase credit card i should apply for as soon as they let me (another 6 months) and earn the 1000 miles for $10 on there instead?

well it wouldnt hurt to get some CO CC since eventually CO & UA will be merged into 1 acct like NW and DL were. So whatever CO miles you get will eventually become UA miles. Now which Mileage program will be in place or if a combo of both is anyones guess, but eventually they will be merged so Id say 12k with CO and 13 with UA today = Nothing but once they are merged into 1 you will have 25k there was a fee free 1st yr CO CC floating around somewhere

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
well it wouldnt hurt to get some CO CC since eventually CO & UA will be merged into 1 acct like NW and DL were. So whatever CO miles you get will eventually become UA miles. Now which Mileage program will be in place or if a combo of both is anyones guess, but eventually they will be merged so Id say 12k with CO and 13 with UA today = Nothing but once they are merged into 1 you will have 25k there was a fee free 1st yr CO CC floating around somewhere

I would get the CO CC in a flash but i already got 3 chase credit cards in the last 6 months ;D. How i did that? I dont know why they approved me again, but im not complaining.
However, since they are merging anyway, it should be the same earning on UA as earning CO, right?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
I would get the CO CC in a flash but i already got 3 chase credit cards in the last 6 months ;D. How i did that? I dont know why they approved me again, but im not complaining.
However, since they are merging anyway, it should be the same earning on UA as earning CO, right?

nice

yep but once its govt approved a very good chance Chase will stop isuuing the CO CCs as they also issue the UA CC. With DL, DL had only Amex while HW had USBank so USBank went crazy to keep the old NW poeple. With UA & Co that wont happen since Chase issues both

so now if aperson has neither and gets both when the merge happens they will have say 50-60k and if a person waits then they wont beable to get that many

so getting both and being able to get them with the 1st yr no fee = almost a free coach tkt to TLV for $0 also keep in mind that SPG to either UA or CO is 2:1 so better to get what you can now when you can. Amex MR is 1:1 to CO but UA isnt a partner to Amex MR who knows if they will be after the merge ,Id rather assume they wont and be wrong then asume they will and to find out they still wont be. Just the way I think Im not saying its the correct way, its just my way

Now I need to go pack up heading to TLV at 4pm

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
I already opened up a couple Chase checking accounts so my merged balances will already look nice.

Im wondering if i should even try opening that CO chase card anyway...when do you think i should be applying for that by? Meaning when do you think Chase will stop that card?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »
I already opened up a couple Chase checking accounts so my merged balances will already look nice.

Im wondering if i should even try opening that CO chase card anyway...when do you think i should be applying for that by? Meaning when do you think Chase will stop that card?

well since the govt still hasnt taken up the Merge and they can shoot it down, you still have some time.Id rather wait awhile then apply and be Denied. I have 3 Chases myself waiting for my 6 months to pass on the BA before ditching it and then will go with either UA again or Priority Club

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »
well since the govt still hasnt taken up the Merge and they can shoot it down, you still have some time.Id rather wait awhile then apply and be Denied. I have 3 Chases myself waiting for my 6 months to pass on the BA before ditching it and then will go with either UA again or Priority Club

I have the UA, Priority club, and the sapphire (dont ask ::) ). I got denied for the BA as it was too soon after i got the PC one.
I just got the UA (the 50k one) last week. Is it totally pointless to try for the CO this week?

Also, do you cancel the UA each time or just open another?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
I have the UA, Priority club, and the sapphire (dont ask ::) ). I got denied for the BA as it was too soon after i got the PC one.
I just got the UA (the 50k one) last week. Is it totally pointless to try for the CO this week?

Also, do you cancel the UA each time or just open another?

I always closed up my CCs w/o moving the limits over, especially now as most Issuers are very interested in how much Toatl Credit a person has outstanding

For some Stupid reason ;-) I kept forgettting to put in my acct # with the Carrier so I got a new one and then had to have the Carrier merge them both so I wouldnt have 2 different accts . Dont know if Ill do that again since as a UA 1K I get $60 off any fee, but I will try anyway

dont know much about Sapphire if you used up the bonus already maybe cash get rid of that 1  and wait a month or so afterwards to apply for the CO. its probably best to apply for the CO when making a CO res, dont know anyone who was ever turned down that way but the bonus may not be be the best usually 25K and a fee which you can always call up within 30 days of getting the statement with it on it and tell them you thought it was fee free. Sometimes they will switch you to a fee free one and you end up keeping the miles other times they will say you must close this and reapply for the other. I couldnt get out of it I wasnt to for my Moms card. anyway I ended up opening 5 Citi savings act with it  so it was worth the $85 between the $50 off 1st statement and 25k in miles plus all the miles from the Citi accts

the Citi deal is DEAD and gone I understand

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
Is opening the CO card while making a res that much more likely to get approved? Its not like the reservation agent is making the decision...

Would it be the same thing to just apply on CO's website without making a res?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
Is opening the CO card while making a res that much more likely to get approved? Its not like the reservation agent is making the decision...

Would it be the same thing to just apply on CO's website without making a res?

dont know,but the last 2 I did were when I was making a reg res and purchasing a tkt

again anything I wrote is my view Im not saying its the only 1 or even the Right 1. I dont believe theres really any 1 way to do things anyway

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
dont know,but the last 2 I did were when I was making a reg res and purchasing a tkt

again anything I wrote is my view Im not saying its the only 1 or even the Right 1. I dont believe theres really any 1 way to do things anyway

How long after previously opening a chase card did you apply (while making the res)?

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I found a way that i can consistently earn about 1000 united miles each month and it would cost me $10. That means im purchasing United miles every month for $0.01 per mile hassle free.

Basically i would be automatically debiting my Chase Mortgage payment from a chase checking account. That account has overdraft protection which would only cost me $10 because its a premier account or something like that. The overdraft protection source is my Chase UA card.

So if there is no money in the account when the Direct Debit goes through, it would pull the $1000 from my UA card as a purchase and i'd get 1000 miles for $10.

I'm curious if people think this would be worth it?

Are you sure you get miles when they charge your credit card?  It doesn't sound right.
Bank of America has a BillPay where you can use your credit card to pay most major vendor that takes electronic payments (ie most credit card, mortgage companies) and while you get a grace period becuase it is charged as a purchase they do not give you points/miles.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
Are you sure you get miles when they charge your credit card?  It doesn't sound right.
Bank of America has a BillPay where you can use your credit card to pay most major vendor that takes electronic payments (ie most credit card, mortgage companies) and while you get a grace period becuase it is charged as a purchase they do not give you points/miles.

Not positive as i havent tried it yet. I was told by a banker it would go through as a purchase. Im also a little hesitant as to whether doing this every month will harm my credit.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:37 PM »
You mean it will go through as a cash advance, not purchase, so that the miles won't go through.

It would seem ridiculous if a major bank themselves wouldn't have the saichel to make it a CA, however, if it works, its worth it.

Not a Wow deal, but something you chap araan along the way.

(Ie, I would setup 50 morgages, just to get this running X 50.  ;-).   )

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
You mean it will go through as a cash advance, not purchase, so that the miles won't go through.

It would seem ridiculous if a major bank themselves wouldn't have the saichel to make it a CA, however, if it works, its worth it.

Not a Wow deal, but something you chap araan along the way.

(Ie, I would setup 50 morgages, just to get this running X 50.  ;-).   )

Nope. Meant what i said. I was told it would go through as a purchase.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
Nope. Meant what i said. I was told it would go through as a purchase.

if U decide to go ahead with it watch it like a hawk.The 1st thing Id do is to use a CC where my CA limit is $0 that way if it goes thru as aCA you can what to dispute it over. As you can say why wasnt it Declined if it was to be a CA and my limit is $0 for any CA then it shouldnt have been Accepted.

or at least the CA  s/b be less then the amount you will be putting thru so it should be complelety declined. but still watch the transactions like a hawk no sense having it go thru say the day after your statement closes and then having to argue with them over a CA that is close to 2 months old

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
Neat idea, please let us know if it posts as a purchase.
Do you have Chase Sapphire or Sapphire Preferred?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.