Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.6%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.6%)
No
196 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 320

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 544708 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
Dude, you've overdosed on conspiracy websites.  These are disproven by millions of highly educated doctors, but that of course proves nothing to conspiracy theorists.
Our government and medical system isn't out to harm/kill the majority of us.

Vaccines are the most amazing thing (and they were invented by Jews) that happened in the 20th century.  Kids often used to die and not make it out of childhood, epidemics killed millions of people.  What you have sunk to is pure evil.

Maybe too much time in the sun tanning beds will do that to your brain.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
My religious beliefs are also in the minority, yet I don't look at the other side, see that they are entire community and join... Concept of majority rules works in things like Halacha, G-d and Rabbi's never told me to go like majority in these matters. Anyways, please see the other side, and what they have to say, see if you find some parts to disagree with them (not me). Btw it's many more than 2, I just brought 2 sources that were helpful to me...
I was not going to get in to this but you mentioned it so here goes:
As religious Jews we believe in hashgacha, that life and death are in his hands. We are supposed to trust in G-d, have Bitachon that he will protect us. We must also do some Hishtadlus to take care of ourselves. After all it is the "world of action".
The question is how much can we rely on g-d verses "taking care of ourselves.
The accepted principle in halacha and hashkafa is called "shomer pesoim Hashem", this means that as long as what we are doing is considered the "norm" we don't have to worry about extreme occurrences. EG. Its ok to drive a car even though there are inherent dangers in driving a car. Its ok to let kids run and play, we dont have to obsessively worry that they may get hit bay a car and keep them locked up as this is the normal  way of the world.
Therefore since vaccinations are generally considered safe, and they are safely used by a vast majority of normal people, from a Halachic and hashkafic point of view one does not need to be concerned, even if there is a possibility of some risk.
It also happens to be that I personally know of someone who asked a very big leading halachic authority about shots, he said one must vaccinate and one is not permitted to be afraid of some not general accepted concern. One who does not vaccinate and causes others harm is responsible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 12:51:19 PM »
I don't have time now to search official sources but vitamin D deficiency IS considered a big problem in higher latitudes. I know in Montreal doctors recommend supplements, though IIRC it's not a problem in most of the United States.
That said; Vitamin D alone is not enough to replace vaccinations.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
I don't have time now to search official sources but vitamin D deficiency IS considered a big problem in higher latitudes. I know in Montreal doctors recommend supplements, though IIRC it's not a problem in most of the United States.
That said; Vitamin D alone is not enough to replace vaccinations.
I take vitamin D supplements.  But going to a tanning salon to get D3, that's ludicrous.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
But going to a tanning salon to get D3, that's ludicrous.
+100

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
@anti-vaccine-conspiracy-theorists I've been convinced now that I did my research. Thanks for enlightening me! http://www.jewishproblem.com/vaccinations-are-a-jewish-conspiracy-jews-want-to-annihilate-and-rule-us-muslim-cleric/
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »
I take vitamin D supplements.  But going to a tanning salon to get D3, that's ludicrous.
Never been to one, but I wouldn't deny that it will add D3 to one's system...

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
Never been to one, but I wouldn't deny that it will add D3 to one's system...
...and melanoma

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
My religious beliefs are also in the minority, yet I don't look at the other side, see that they are entire community and join... Concept of majority rules works in things like Halacha, G-d and Rabbi's never told me to go like majority in these matters. Anyways, please see the other side, and what they have to say, see if you find some parts to disagree with them (not me). Btw it's many more than 2, I just brought 2 sources that were helpful to me...
Every Religious belief is a minority, christianity is a minority 1/3, islam is a minority 1.5/6, there is no majority. 99% of medical proffesionals say vaccines are safe and crucial!!
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
...and melanoma
Being vaccinated=Bad.
Melanoma=Good.

What a bunch of nuts.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Every Religious belief is a minority, christianity is a minority 1/3, islam is a minority 1.5/6, there is no majority. 99% of medical proffesionals say vaccines are safe and crucial!!
I like that answer. Never thought of it like that.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
Dude, you've overdosed on conspiracy websites.  These are disproven by millions of highly educated doctors, but that of course proves nothing to conspiracy theorists.
Our government and medical system isn't out to harm/kill the majority of us.

Vaccines are the most amazing thing (and they were invented by Jews) that happened in the 20th century.  Kids often used to die and not make it out of childhood, epidemics killed millions of people.  What you have sunk to is pure evil.

Did you read or just assume that it's a conspiracy? I'm not asking to attack, just the amount I may look into the response will differ if you read the previously posted links (or watched Dr Tenpenny's 3 hour video). Also, do you have a good link that could answer the concerns that Dr Tenpenny/Dr Mercola have?

I am from other side and not convinced that all vaccines are evil, therefore my family vaccinates (on a different schedule than the usual one). The optional ones, however, like chicken pox and flu (not pure evil) on the other hand, is what I was discussing before.

Good Shabbos

Offline plainbachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Just got my flu shot

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
Also, do you have a good link that could answer the concerns that Dr Tenpenny/Dr Mercola have?
Figures that neither of them are MDs...they're just in it for the money, and there's lots to be made off gullible conpiracy theorists. You've names 2 non-practicing "doctors" out of millions.  Who are both making millions more than their peers who they claim are just in it for the money...

http://scientopia.org/blogs/whitecoatunderground/2009/12/30/damned-lies-and-idiots/
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2012/Dr-Joseph-Mercola-Visionary-or-Quack/
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:24:40 PM by U-no-me! »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
I wonder if Elvis and JFK received their flu shots this year.  ::) ::) ::)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
I was not going to get in to this but you mentioned it so here goes:
As religious Jews we believe in hashgacha, that life and death are in his hands. We are supposed to trust in G-d, have Bitachon that he will protect us. We must also do some Hishtadlus to take care of ourselves. After all it is the "world of action".
The question is how much can we rely on g-d verses "taking care of ourselves.
The accepted principle in halacha and hashkafa is called "shomer pesoim Hashem", this means that as long as what we are doing is considered the "norm" we don't have to worry about extreme occurrences. EG. Its ok to drive a car even though there are inherent dangers in driving a car. Its ok to let kids run and play, we dont have to obsessively worry that they may get hit bay a car and keep them locked up as this is the normal  way of the world.
Therefore since vaccinations are generally considered safe, and they are safely used by a vast majority of normal people, from a Halachic and hashkafic point of view one does not need to be concerned, even if there is a possibility of some risk.
It also happens to be that I personally know of someone who asked a very big leading halachic authority about shots, he said one must vaccinate and one is not permitted to be afraid of some not general accepted concern. One who does not vaccinate and causes others harm is responsible.

If it were only so simple... It's a lot more common than you think to question vaccines. It is becoming more and more popular. I am not saying not to vaccinate as that is probably not the safest thing to do. The question at hand is if you should vaccinate with the reg schedule, or give optional vaccines like flu and chicken pox. So far less than half the ppl that answered this poll had a flu shot (def not 99% yes)

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »

The percentage of orthodox jews in world (a fraction of 1%) vs. percentage of ppl who don't get a flu shot (maybe 40, 50, 60%).

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »
Being vaccinated=Bad.
Melanoma=Good.

What a bunch of nuts.

This is a very good point...

Figures that neither of them are MDs...they're just in it for the money, and there's lots to be made off gullible conpiracy theorists. You've names 2 non-practicing "doctors" out of millions.  Who are both making millions more than their peers who they claim are just in it for the money...

http://scientopia.org/blogs/whitecoatunderground/2009/12/30/damned-lies-and-idiots/
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2012/Dr-Joseph-Mercola-Visionary-or-Quack/
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

They are both DO's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine
Scientopia- does not argue with facts, just a very low class bashing of Tenpenny. The guy he praises instead is Paul Offit who has said that a 2 month old can take 10,000 vaccines at once...
Chicagomag- praises Mercola most of the way, then concludes that he's a quack... Now that you showed this link, I'd like to point out that mercola.com gets 1.9 million unique visitor per month. (He may have a clue what he's talking about, and the holistic approach to health is a lot more popular than 99% vs 1%)

Btw I'm in the middle...

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2013, 11:01:57 PM »
The percentage of orthodox jews in world (a fraction of 1%) vs. percentage of ppl who don't get a flu shot (maybe 40, 50, 60%).
Are you comparing that we orthodox jews have gone against 99% of the world for thousands of years, to going against the vast majority of vaccinaters? We stood up strong against majorities anti our religion, because our parents heard from their parents etc. that G-D told them directly in front of 600,000+ people that He is G-d and He is One, and that we will be his Chosen Nation forever, that's why we ignored the vast majorities. And you go and compare that to Dr. "Ten Pennies for your thoughts"?? No Shaychus!!!!
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser