Author Topic: BitCoin Master Thread  (Read 13320 times)

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the story with BitCoins ?
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
The article mentioned that there were about 100 donation amounting to 22 bitcoins. Only an average of ~$300 each.
My bad, I misread..

Online churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
Yes. But you still can't have higher than 100% Marginal Rate. I going to a meeting, but I'll be back with the math at some point.

Long Term KG has a funny bracket, where it is calculated separately from other income, but then applies its own brackets. It is 0% if you make less than like 37k, and then 15% on income in excess of 37k (and then 20% higher up the line but lets ignore that for now).

Some examples:
Ordinary income: 10k; KG 10k= no tax on the KG.
Ordinary income: 30k; KG 10k= 15% tax on the 3k that is above 37k.
Ordinary income: 50k; KG 10k= 15% tax on all 10k of KG.

So in your example you wanted to know how making more ordinary income will affect what you pay on the KG. As you can see, it will kick you into paying 15% on that KG, but certainly nothing over 100%.

If you meant to ask about the capital gains a dude like this will have when he sells the bitcoin, I don't know why you assume bitcoin generates capital gains tax at all, but if it does, gifts have a carryover basis from the donor so his basis I guess would be whatever theirs was (no way he'll know what their basis was, no idea what he'll do, I suppose that is a complication)
Capital gains with a C?!
I meant to say that there is a general disadvantage to being shifted into a higher bracket because this will trigger higher capital gain tax.
For this guy, the gift would not increase his tax bracket but selling currency at a gain over basis should trigger LT Capital gain tax.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:26:28 PM by churnbabychurn »

Online henche

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
I use KG to symbolize Capital Gains. That's what my basic tax professor did, and I like it. I have no idea if it is widely accepted, nor do I care.

Online churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
See above

Online henche

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
Capital gains with a C?!
I meant to say that there is a general disadvantage to being shifted into a higher bracket because this will trigger higher capital gain tax.
For this guy, the gift would not increase his tax bracket but selling currency at a gain over basis should trigger LT Capital gain tax.

Agreed. But that article was taking seriously the notion that he might end up with less money in his pocket than he had before.

Online churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline hertzinstl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2013, 09:02:48 AM »
Catching up on this thread, there are so many misconceptions and lies about bitcoin here, you would figure at least one of us here had access to Google.

A) Bitcoin is splittable to m many decimal points. If someone is gifted 22 Bitcoin, that can be done over thousands or even millions of gifts. Meaning, I can give you .001 of a bitcoin too.

2) There is a cost to mining Bitcoin, thereby making them higher value to those who have use for them. Yes, they are just as fiat as US currency.

3) There is a real, clear value of a decentralized currency. There are many countries where people have money locked up with no easy way of transferring it out. And there is the really practical use of sending money overseas instantly without all the extra charges that western union and banks tack on. Think about the billions that regular working immigrants sent back to their families, and right there you have great, natural and healthy demand, not just based on speculation. My point is that there are many practical uses (many of which I didn't list) of Bitcoin, and if you fail to see any of them, you failed to research Bitcoin for more than five minutes.

4) I waited for the price to bust instead of buying in when I could have, yet now it's trading 10x higher. Don't expect prices to bust unless you really understand what's going on (I surely didn't/don't). As we go along, more and more  financial companies are developing ways to buy, hold or invest in Bitcoin, if there'll be a bust, it'll probably take some time. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:06:05 AM by yuneeq »
Live forever or die trying.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2013, 09:08:24 AM »
Catching up on this thread, there are so many misconceptions and lies about bitcoin here, you would figure at least one of us here had access to Google.

A) Bitcoin is splittable to m many decimal points. If someone is gifted 22 Bitcoin, that can be done over thousands or even millions of gifts. Meaning, I can give you .001 of a bitcoin too.

2) There is a cost to mining Bitcoin, thereby making them higher value to those who have use for them. Yes, they are just as fiat as US currency.

3) There is a real, clear value of a decentralized currency. There are many countries where people have money locked up with no easy way of transferring it out. And there is the really practical use of sending money overseas instantly without all the extra charges that western union and banks tack on. Think about the billions that regular working immigrants sent back to their families, and right there you have great, natural and healthy demand, not just based on speculation. My point is that there are many practical uses (many of which I didn't list) of Bitcoin, and if you fail to see any of them, you failed to research Bitcoin for more than five minutes.

4) I waited for the price to bust instead of buying in when I could have, yet now it's trading 10x higher. Don't expect prices to bust unless you really understand what's going on (I surely didn't/don't). As we go along, more and more  financial companies are developing ways to buy, hold or invest in Bitcoin, if there'll be a bust, it'll probably take some time.

Government regulation, like what happened in China this week will bust the balloon.

Offline menachem_m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikamorphy/2013/12/22/get-ready-overstock-here-come-the-bitcoin-bean-counters/

Overstock.com just turned heads with the news that it will start accepting Bitcoin next year.

“You’re getting rid of the interchange fees. We’re paying credit card companies around 2%. For a company whose margin is 1%, picking up 2% on that is quite attractive."

Having nightmares that cc companies will start having to cut down on the points to compete. :'(

Online henche

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikamorphy/2013/12/22/get-ready-overstock-here-come-the-bitcoin-bean-counters/

Overstock.com just turned heads with the news that it will start accepting Bitcoin next year.

“You’re getting rid of the interchange fees. We’re paying credit card companies around 2%. For a company whose margin is 1%, picking up 2% on that is quite attractive."

Having nightmares that cc companies will start having to cut down on the points to compete. :'(

They also get the money immediately isndtead of monthly when the Cc companies pay them.

On the other hand, they need to have a third party servicing them who accepts the bitcoins and gives them cash. Because overstock is in the business of retail, not investing in volatile bitcoin. And I'd like to know what that third party is charging them and how often it pays them...

Online churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:31 AM »

not sure what you are getting at with 2.
The fact that they are expensive to mine makes them more comparable to gold or a real precious commodity, very unlike US currency that is merely a piece of paper.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »
not sure what you are getting at with 2.
The fact that they are expensive to mine makes them more comparable to gold or a real precious commodity, very unlike US currency that is merely a piece of paper.

Maybe I don't understand it enough yet, but the entire mining system is arbitrary. The creator decided to allow a certain amount to be mined... What if he decides to allow more mining? Or to create more bitcoins? Either way it is not comparable to gold at all.

Regardless, henche's point is valid since at this moment currently (regardless of what you believe bitcoins longterm stability may be) there is a ton of volatility in the bitcoin market. As overstock is in the retail business they need cash for future purchases and payments. They would also be sunk if they took in a huge number of bitcoins and their value suddenly takes a dive the next day.

For these reasons they must have a buyer who is going to buy their bitcoins from them and likely guarantee the price based on the bitcoins value at the time of sale. This will have some sort of fee that will either be reflected in a worse exchange rate for the buyer or a fee for overstock.

Online churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
Maybe I don't understand it enough yet, but the entire mining system is arbitrary. The creator decided to allow a certain amount to be mined... What if he decides to allow more mining? Or to create more bitcoins? Either way it is not comparable to gold at all.

Regardless, henche's point is valid since at this moment currently (regardless of what you believe bitcoins longterm stability may be) there is a ton of volatility in the bitcoin market. As overstock is in the retail business they need cash for future purchases and payments. They would also be sunk if they took in a huge number of bitcoins and their value suddenly takes a dive the next day.

For these reasons they must have a buyer who is going to buy their bitcoins from them and likely guarantee the price based on the bitcoins value at the time of sale. This will have some sort of fee that will either be reflected in a worse exchange rate for the buyer or a fee for overstock.
mathematically impossible to mine more than the limit.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »
mathematically impossible to mine more than the limit.

That's a statement not an answer. Mathematically impossible according to who? What's to stop mother nature from adding more gold or Satoshi Nakamoto from adding more bitcoins?

Regardless as I mentioned henche's point is valid.