Author Topic: LSAT Review Course  (Read 46323 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Review Course
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
it mostly goes on the lsat score but the personal statement can push you over the edge but with that score i dont think you will be applying to schools that you need to be pushed over the edge
The edge is relaative. Some school out there is comparing two 143's & it will come down to the statement.  Guess you have hope if you find a school without jews that is intrested in minority representation.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
The edge is relaative. Some school out there is comparing two 143's & it will come down to the statement.  Guess you have hope if you find a school without jews that is intrested in minority representation.

You said what I didn't want to.

Additionally, pretty sure Jews do not constitute a minority for the purposes for which you suggest.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »
Speaking of which, there really should be some way for yeshiva guys to get good advice on law school application.
Every once in a while, some dude makes a thread on TLS, but the info there is pretty useless.

Bekitzur: yeshiva guys go in thinking their LSAT will carry them with their "4.0 GPA", when the truth is that it is still a very uphill battle to get into the elite schools.
Like one of my friends here in school said, "I'd like to see the rest of their application."
You need a really good personal statement, you need to get the application in early, you need good letters. And if you get the Harvard phone call, for blazes sake go online and find out what they ask. It seems like all the 200 people a year who get the call and don't get in are all yeshiva guys.

In any event, none of the yeshiva guys applying will find this thread, and I don't have a good solution. When I was applying, I didn't even have much access to internet- living in the CC dorm as I was.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
Considering we have 2 yeshiva guys on DDF in top-4 law schools...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
Speaking of which, there really should be some way for yeshiva guys to get good advice on law school application.
Every once in a while, some dude makes a thread on TLS, but the info there is pretty useless.

Bekitzur: yeshiva guys go in thinking their LSAT will carry them with their "4.0 GPA", when the truth is that it is still a very uphill battle to get into the elite schools.
Like one of my friends here in school said, "I'd like to see the rest of their application."
You need a really good personal statement, you need to get the application in early, you need good letters. And if you get the Harvard phone call, for blazes sake go online and find out what they ask. It seems like all the 200 people a year who get the call and don't get in are all yeshiva guys.

In any event, none of the yeshiva guys applying will find this thread, and I don't have a good solution. When I was applying, I didn't even have much access to internet- living in the CC dorm as I was.

I'd have to disagree. The "uphill battle" is getting the 175 or better. With that LSAT score and a decent app, acceptance at a T-14 is the candidates battle to lose.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
+1
if you get a good enough lsat score and have anything more than a btl than you can prob get in to a top school

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
I'd have to disagree. The "uphill battle" is getting the 175 or better. With that LSAT score and a decent app, acceptance at a T-14 is the candidates battle to lose.

Yes. In fact getting into Harvard or Columbia is also your battle to lose. Yet we do it all the time. I did, and many others have as well.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
+1
if you get a good enough lsat score and have anything more than a btl than you can prob get in to a top school

If you have anything other than a BTL, you also need to worry about GPA.
180 and 3.6 is not  a great bet at many top schools.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
then this whole conversation is moot if the economy is the same when you graduate since hardly anyone is getting jobs nowadays

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
180 and 3.6 is not  a great bet at many top schools.

Do you know what you're talking about?

Last year over 150 thousand people took the exam. No more than about 150 (.001%) got a 180. (And, yes, thats 150 total over four administrations.)

Assuming most entering classes at T-14 schools are ~300, your statement above is just ludicrous.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
Considering we have 2 yeshiva guys on DDF in top-4 law schools...
+1. Note however,  that they are both transfers.

Offline MasterTheLsat

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »
One of my students told me I was mentioned on this site. I teach the LSAT and am a third year student at Columbia. I started here, and I am also a Yeshivah Student.

My website is wantmy180.com

I'll be signed in here for a bit and would be happy to take questions for a bit...

-Velvel Freedman 

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 05:32:34 PM »
One of my students told me I was mentioned on this site. I teach the LSAT and am a third year student at Columbia. I started here, and I am also a Yeshivah Student.

My website is wantmy180.com

I'll be signed in here for a bit and would be happy to take questions for a bit...

-Velvel Freedman 
Welcome to the forum Velvel!

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
+1. Note however,  that they are both transfers.
Make that 3 now.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
Do you know what you're talking about?

Last year over 150 thousand people took the exam. No more than about 150 (.001%) got a 180. (And, yes, thats 150 total over four administrations.)

Assuming most entering classes at T-14 schools are ~300, your statement above is just ludicrous.

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. Do you think this is the only site I troll on? I have been banned from TLS numerous times.

In any event, the schools do take the GPA into account very much, because USNWR does. A 3.6 GPA puts you well below the 25th percentile for Harvard, Yale, Stanford (about a 3.8). The fact that you are above their LSAT 75% does not quite even it out, and would be a hard battle in.
Even past those 3, you need to go deep into the schools to find a 3.6 being at their 75 percentile. If you figure that anything below their median is going to count against you, you are really not a sure bet.
I assume those numbers would get you into several T14's, but by no means would you be a lock for Columbia, Chicago, NYU.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Yes, I know what I'm talking about. Do you think this is the only site I troll on? I have been banned from TLS numerous times.

In any event, the schools do take the GPA into account very much, because USNWR does. A 3.6 GPA puts you well below the 25th percentile for Harvard, Yale, Stanford (about a 3.8). The fact that you are above their LSAT 75% does not quite even it out, and would be a hard battle in.
Even past those 3, you need to go deep into the schools to find a 3.6 being at their 75 percentile. If you figure that anything below their median is going to count against you, you are really not a sure bet.
I assume those numbers would get you into several T14's, but by no means would you be a lock for Columbia, Chicago, NYU.

I'm not going to argue what the exact relative weights are LSAT vs. GPA in the admission calculus, but I'd bet the LSAT is weighted more. Anecdotally, I know at least a few people who have had GPA ~3.6 and scored in the mid-upper 170s and are in a T-6 school.

I'd bet they were even offered money at most of the lower T-14s.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
Yes. In fact getting into Harvard or Columbia is also your battle to lose. Yet we do it all the time. I did, and many others have as well.
You lost the battle?? I thought your in Harvard?

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
Make that 3 now.
3 transfers or 3 T-4

Also I'm sure there are more then 3 members registered on this site.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
3 transfers or 3 T-4

Also I'm sure there are more then 3 members registered on this site.
2 transfers. MasterTheLsat started his 1L at Columbia

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
I'm not going to argue what the exact relative weights are LSAT vs. GPA in the admission calculus, but I'd bet the LSAT is weighted more. Anecdotally, I know at least a few people who have had GPA ~3.6 and scored in the mid-upper 170s and are in a T-6 school.

I'd bet they were even offered money at most of the lower T-14s.

Yes, you are correct. I picked the wrong numbers. Shows how much I know about GPA's.
According to lawschoolpredictor, 3.6/180 gets you admit everywhere but H/Y
My point is still true, that GPA will start to matter once you leave yeshiva.