Topic Wiki

Trip Reports, notes and reviews:

Airports:
Foreign visitors staying for more than 24 hours would be expected to pay 350 pesos ($18.50), although giving to the fund is completely Optional.

From airport you can take a private car or shuttle but book it before from someone with 5 star rating from TripAdvisor or Yelp. Many scam artist in the airport.

Getting around town there’s car rental, taxi, bus and Uber. But Uber might not be allowed in your lobby.

Where to stay:  Points?
Hilton Points
Waldorf
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Los Cabos

Marriott Points
Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort (RECENTLY CLOSED)
JW Marriott
Westin
Fairfield inn

Hyatt Points
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
Ziva-All inclusive

IHG
Holiday Inn Express Cabo San Lucas

Kosher:
Reb Benny +52 624 133 0489
Baja Kosher (covid currently closed)

"Costco has tuna fish, OU Glatt sausages, Chalav Yisrael Natural and Kosher cheeses, salmon etc.
Walmart, La Comer, Soriana, Chedraui have smoked salmon, fruits, veggies, pastas, eggs, sugars rice, cereal, ketchup, mustard, Dolores brand tuna (not bishul yisrael), etc.
Corn tortillas fresh are usually kosher and they’re shehakol.
Yogurts, milk, and spreads can be found here but they are cholov akum.
If you want Cholov Yisrael milk, we get ours from the farm so let us know earlier and we will try to get you some.
Wine is available at La Europea.
For those looking for ice cream shops that are OUD, there is a Ben and Jerry's and a Haagen Dazz. " -Chabad

Chabad:

What to do:

PLEASE UPDATE

« Last edited by davidmal on March 23, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »

Author Topic: Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread  (Read 93511 times)

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Re: Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
In your opinion Cabos vs Cancun from LA which would be a better option for an extended weekend (given the flights etc).

Cabo is an easy 2 hour or so flight, while Cancun is closer to 5 hrs, I believe. While I have never been to CUN, I can say that Cabo is an easy and relatively cheap vacation for an extended weekend from LA.

Offline easy48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 12:31:55 AM »
In your opinion Cabos vs Cancun from LA which would be a better option for an extended weekend (given the flights etc).

I personally love cabo. Been there twice. Been to cancun on a cruise so was really a short trip so I can't really compare.  But Cabo is just so relaxing.

Offline leis4794

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:55 PM »
My wife and I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Westin Cabo and figured I would write up some brief trip notes. I would be happy to answer any further questions about specifics.

First off, a big thanks to Dan for making this trip happen. This site has introduced me to points and miles, enabling us to take this vacation for almost free.

The purpose of our trip was simply for us to relax in peace with an awesome view and great weather. We didn't do any activities at all outside the hotel and did not even leave the property throughout our four day stay. As such, we did not rent a car but simply took shuttles to and from the airport. As others have mentioned, the property is not  the most luxurious property around, but it is very clean and comfortable, and overall really nice. With regards to Kosher food, there is an option to order from the local Chabad Shluchim, but being easy eaters my wife and I just brought along the usual tuna, cheese, and cereal stuff. There was a fridge in our room stocked with soda and beer for purchase, and the bell boy offered to empty it out so we could use it. Nice!

The staff were friendly and helpful and the bell boy we got at check-in even greeted us with a big "Shalom Aleikem" and sang us a few Jewish songs he knew.

Highlights:

As SPG Gold members, we received a room upgrade to a full ocean view room and free WiFi throughout our stay.

At this time of year the hotel was only about 30% full so the hotel, pools, and beach were all pretty quiet.

The Spa offers separate sauna and steam rooms free to all guests.

The pools and beach were quiet and very relaxing. There is also an adult-only pool with a swim up bar.

Tips:

If you will not be renting a car, book a shared shuttle from the airport before you leave the US. We booked through the famous Super Shuttle which partners with a company called Grey Line in Los Cabos.

If you don't have a rental car and don't want to spend on taxis to go into San Jose Del Cabo Or Cabo San Lucas, there is a very convenient bus which stops at the hotel and is obviously much cheaper. Many tourists there use them and the hotel staff said its pretty safe.

The hotel offers a complete set of workout cloths rental for $5/day to use in the gym or to play tennis etc. Our entire set of clothing, including shoes, were brand new.

Overall we had a great time, but since our stay was limited to the hotel I cannot really say anything about the activities and other things to do in Cabo.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:31:29 PM by leis4794 »

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Any pics?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline CholentTheTraveler

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, United, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
My wife and I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Westin Cabo and figured I would write up some brief trip notes. I would be happy to answer any further questions about specifics.

What flight did you take in from LAX?

Offline leis4794

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 02:42:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Any pics?

The only pics I have are the same as you can find on TripAdvisor or any other site like that.

Offline leis4794

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 02:44:35 AM »
What flight did you take in from LAX?

I actually flew out of SFO b/c I was up north at the time.  United to and Alaska return. Neither was a great deal, about $200 each way.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
I am looking to go to Los Cabos for 3 days. Currently, I have a 900 sq ft suite reserved at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar for 20,000 points per night. I also have a reservation with Hilton for 40,000 per night. I am SPG Plat and Hilton Diamond. I cannot decide which hotel is better to stay at.
Since I am only going with my wife and leaving the kids, I am concerned the Sheraton is too much of a kids hotel. I would strongly consider paying for the Hacienda Beach Club and canceling both my reservations. This is sort of a once in a VERY long time vacation without the kids, so I really want to do it right and do not mind spending a lot of money on rooms.

Thanks for your help

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »
I am looking to go to Los Cabos for 3 days. Currently, I have a 900 sq ft suite reserved at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar for 20,000 points per night. I also have a reservation with Hilton for 40,000 per night. I am SPG Plat and Hilton Diamond. I cannot decide which hotel is better to stay at.
Since I am only going with my wife and leaving the kids, I am concerned the Sheraton is too much of a kids hotel. I would strongly consider paying for the Hacienda Beach Club and canceling both my reservations. This is sort of a once in a VERY long time vacation without the kids, so I really want to do it right and do not mind spending a lot of money on rooms.

Thanks for your help

I can't speak about the other choices, but the Sheraton was very nice when we were there. There were not too many children that we noticed, and there were 3-4 pools to choose from in terms of just lounging around outdoors. I'm sure any place you go will be very relaxing.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:05 PM »
I can't speak about the other choices, but the Sheraton was very nice when we were there. There were not too many children that we noticed, and there were 3-4 pools to choose from in terms of just lounging around outdoors. I'm sure any place you go will be very relaxing.

How would you rate this property in terms of Stars?

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
How would you rate this property in terms of Stars?

3-4 probably. We were generously upgraded as only SPG Gold at the time. It is definitely not a Park Hyatt (nor is it the nearby Esperanza), but it was very nice and relaxing for a few days. We got a very good paid rate, and were really happy there.

Offline PGA

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »
We stayed at the Hacienda Beach Club 2 years ago. The property is definitely 5 stars in every way. You can easily walk to most restaurants from here. We did not have a car and did not need one. The spa is outstanding as well as the pool area.  They have a large private area of the beach. Most people at the resort seem to be owners. Even if you do not stay here, the restaurant (Hacienda Cocina) on property is one of the best in Cabo and not over priced.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »
We stayed at the Hacienda Beach Club 2 years ago. The property is definitely 5 stars in every way. You can easily walk to most restaurants from here. We did not have a car and did not need one. The spa is outstanding as well as the pool area.  They have a large private area of the beach. Most people at the resort seem to be owners. Even if you do not stay here, the restaurant (Hacienda Cocina) on property is one of the best in Cabo and not over priced.

What is the best way to get a good rate?

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
I stayed in the Hilton in Cabo and it was gorgeous. They upgraded us to a ocean view suite and it was great. I would definitely give it a 5 star rating.

Offline PGA

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »
We rented from an owner using VRBO. The agent was very helpful and arranged everything we needed.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2014, 02:42:58 AM »
What is the best way to bring in food like meat chicken etc

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
I just booked six nights at the Hilton Los Cabos in a "ridonculous" suite for 279 HH points per night.  Saw this on One Mile at a Time (it's okay to mention that here, isn't it?).  I don't know if any of you might still be able to snag, nor do I know if it is going to "stick", but if so...amazing.  If it sticks, I'll be back here asking for advice. I see that there is a Chabad with an active-appearing website.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
I just booked six nights at the Hilton Los Cabos in a "ridonculous" suite for 279 HH points per night.  Saw this on One Mile at a Time (it's okay to mention that here, isn't it?).  I don't know if any of you might still be able to snag, nor do I know if it is going to "stick", but if so...amazing.  If it sticks, I'll be back here asking for advice. I see that there is a Chabad with an active-appearing website.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=50786

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
You will likely need alternate lodging plans.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »
You will likely need alternate lodging plans.

lol, hopefully they didn't book flights yet.