Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 930077 times)

Offline Maxdeck123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #2680 on: January 28, 2015, 11:57:25 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=8398.0
Check the wiki. They all say till 10 PM
I applied at 9:30 PM should I call tomorrow, will it help?

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #2681 on: January 29, 2015, 12:00:42 AM »
I applied at 9:30 PM should I call tomorrow, will it help?
Yes it will help. Good luck, be prepared to explain why you really need to have this card.
^^^

Offline Maxdeck123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: January 29, 2015, 12:05:21 AM »
Yes it will help. Good luck, be prepared to explain why you really need to have this card.
Any good reason besides the award chart  :D  :P ? All I can think of is to say I want to start accumulating Avios I like British Airways a lot, I would want to transfer my points to avios?
Idk any suggestions?

Offline DMYD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:52 AM »
Any good reason besides the award chart  :D  :P ? All I can think of is to say I want to start accumulating Avios I like British Airways a lot, I would want to transfer my points to avios?
Idk any suggestions?
You don't have to transfer to Avios the points that you accumulate are Avios, just say you plan on flying with BA so you would like to use that card to buy the tickets.

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »
i'm trying to help a relative of mine who is trying to get out of credit card debt and 0% intro APR on freedom is ending soon tried amex BC but was denied which non chase card with 0% intro APR would be easy to get approved for?
thanks they actually have 0% and the best thing about it is that he has a different discover card with a high enough CL to cover almost all that he needs if he needs to move CL and still have the other card a good working card
the problem is they are unwilling to approve the card with even a tiny CL and they say they can't move CL from an old card to a new one only from one existing card to another HUCA'd and got the same answer any ideas?
Idea... Step 1, get a RedBird. Step 2, load 5k with Discover card soon after Discover statement closes with $0 balance. Step 3, pay $5k to Freedom card before that statement closes. Step 4, Now that both statements closed with $0 balance apply for Slate or other card... If balance on Freedom is more than $5k get two RedBirds...

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: January 29, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
considering getting into the business card game
i spend a few thousand that gets reimbursed by my company. if i put that as my business, can i have no income? will i be able to explain that?
people still having success mbm'ing with amex and getting personal and business?

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
considering getting into the business card game
i spend a few thousand that gets reimbursed by my company. if i put that as my business, can i have no income? will i be able to explain that?
people still having success mbm'ing with amex and getting personal and business?
you'll have to come up with a better plan to explain your 'business' if you aren't instantly approved.

Yes you can do mbm with personal and biz.
Keep the rules in mind as far as the bonuses are concerned
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: January 29, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
you'll have to come up with a better plan to explain your 'business' if you aren't instantly approved.

Yes you can do mbm with personal and biz.
Keep the rules in mind as far as the bonuses are concerned
i only had the prg a few years ago and have the spg
can you mbm business cards, like get multiple for the same business? what should i go for if i do it? spg/personal platinum/?
or is it worth just getting the chase ink? although i dont think i would go to staples, get the cards, bring them to target and spend time loading it. takes up lots of time, and after the activation fees doesnt net as big a profit

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: January 29, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »
Idea... Step 1, get a RedBird. Step 2, load 5k with Discover card soon after Discover statement closes with $0 balance. Step 3, pay $5k to Freedom card before that statement closes. Step 4, Now that both statements closed with $0 balance apply for Slate or other card... If balance on Freedom is more than $5k get two RedBirds...
That's a great idea I'll get working on it, it took me a while to figure out what to so and make sure it will work but that should be great BTW do you have a RC I can buy I only have one
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Gohabs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi!
I'm looking to get some CC for my old man. His name on his Passport (Photo Id)  and on his SSC (his hebrew name)  don't match , which name should I use?

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: January 29, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »
Hi!
I'm looking to get some CC for my old man. His name on his Passport (Photo Id)  and on his SSC (his hebrew name)  don't match , which name should I use?
open an account in each name  ;D
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Gohabs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: January 29, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
open an account in each name  ;D
Really? But I would be applying with the same SS?
Also at the moment I have a chase verification process going on  they asked me for photo id , which I dont have ( i used the name on SSC..)

Offline guywithdebt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:22 PM »
Hi DDF,

I had a question for you. If you can help, great, If not, thanks anyways. I just need advice.

My family had run into some financial issues a while back and gained a bunch of credit card debt. A lot of it went under my name because my cards had nothing on them and high credit limits. Now I am going to be buying a house and applying for a mortgage. But i want to get my balances cleared up as to get a better credit score before I apply. There is about $40,000 of debt to my name. All cards in good standing. In terms of cards, probably $15,000 of that number is on business cards. Its the rest that is my issue. Is there a way to shuffle around or do something about that $25,000 to increase my credit score and get a better rate on my mortgage?

I have one negative mark to my credit report which I cannot get off yet. There was a miss-communication with Honda when I extended a lease, auto-payment never went through, I had no idea, and 2 months later I had a 30-day delinquency on my report which they have refused to take off for now.

Advice?

Offline bigbadmoish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: February 10, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »
Hi DDF,

I had a question for you. If you can help, great, If not, thanks anyways. I just need advice.

My family had run into some financial issues a while back and gained a bunch of credit card debt. A lot of it went under my name because my cards had nothing on them and high credit limits. Now I am going to be buying a house and applying for a mortgage. But i want to get my balances cleared up as to get a better credit score before I apply. There is about $40,000 of debt to my name. All cards in good standing. In terms of cards, probably $15,000 of that number is on business cards. Its the rest that is my issue. Is there a way to shuffle around or do something about that $25,000 to increase my credit score and get a better rate on my mortgage?

I have one negative mark to my credit report which I cannot get off yet. There was a miss-communication with Honda when I extended a lease, auto-payment never went through, I had no idea, and 2 months later I had a 30-day delinquency on my report which they have refused to take off for now.

Advice?
if the business cards are under your name then the whole thing is "your issue" if you apply for more credit cards (and get approved) you will lower the percentage of credit being used

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: February 10, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
if the business cards are under your name then the whole thing is "your issue" if you apply for more credit cards (and get approved) you will lower the percentage of credit being used

To be honest, with future pulls and the fact that he has amassed a nice chunk of CC debt, I don't know if the best advice would be to go and get more credit cards.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline guywithdebt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: February 10, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

well that's annoying.

The balances are going down as I pay minimum on all cards and then as much as I can towards balances, but I'm trying to work fast here.

Offline guywithdebt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: February 10, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »
To be honest, with future pulls and the fact that he has amassed a nice chunk of CC debt, I don't know if the best advice would be to go and get more credit cards.

Yeah, I don't really want to open more right now if I do not have to.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: February 10, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »
Yeah, I don't really want to open more right now if I do not have to.
from your post it sounded like your situation passed and you your making payments... doesnt sound like you're going to hurt yourself by opening more cards.

if you are spiraling out of control in debt i do not think opening more cc's is the way to go.

Offline tjak

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: February 10, 2015, 05:03:58 PM »
The debt on business cards don't affect your credit ratio. So try moving as much as you can to those cards. That can be done using ms techniques with the business cards and paying the personal with the cash.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: February 10, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »
The debt on business cards don't affect your credit ratio. So try moving as much as you can to those cards. That can be done using ms techniques with the business cards and paying the personal with the cash.
why is this the case?