Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 222997 times)

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
Imerovigli is the most romantic. Lots of honeymooners there.

Oia would be my second choice

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
Imerovigli is the most romantic. Lots of honeymooners there.

Oia would be my second choice
I'm looking for the nicest scenery and most interesting area.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
I'm looking for the nicest scenery and most interesting area.

Traveling as a couple either one would be beautiful . I dont consider Santorini interesting . It's just remarkable . Interesting is someone's behavior .

But at night you must go to Fira and  Franco's Bar so dont just expect to stay in one place

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
Anybody know how I can get in touch with the rabbi in greece? Rabbi Mendel hendel.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
Anybody know how I can get in touch with the rabbi in greece? Rabbi Mendel hendel.
www.chabad.gr/

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »
How far is ATH from the town?

Is it worth it to go into the city with a stop over (older couple) 2:35 - 10:40PM?

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
How far is ATH from the town?

Is it worth it to go into the city with a stop over (older couple) 2:35 - 10:40PM?

I blv  need to fig  one  hour by metro each way I think about 16 dollars r/t per person -- if over 65 can get for less( half off or so ) -  taxi 50- 60 $ each way --- if weather is nice ( summer is very hot -- or after summer if raining may not be good for "older "person )-- I am no kid and I would do it --- city nothing special ,  it is worth it to see  Acropolis and if do not want pressure to get back to airport that is about all will have time to see maybe cup of coffee in cafe -- young people can do more in the 8 hours

if thinking of doing -- check b4 go to be sure no strikes of any kind -- none Lately  but the natives are known to strike often

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
I am thinking about going to Israel for Sukkos and then do a stopover in Greece on the way home, which would be the first week of October. Does it make sense to do Athens and then the Greek islands? We would land in Athens on Sunday where we would want to spend the day and then have the rest of the week for the islands. Santorini and one other island would be ideal. Can this be done with still getting back to NYC for Shabbos?

EMES

« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:12 AM »
I am thinking about going to Israel for Sukkos and then do a stopover in Greece on the way home, which would be the first week of October. Does it make sense to do Athens and then the Greek islands? We would land in Athens on Sunday where we would want to spend the day and then have the rest of the week for the islands. Santorini and one other island would be ideal. Can this be done with still getting back to NYC for Shabbos?
dont see why not , when do u want to leave the islands ? Some are only a 45 min boat ride

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
dont see why not , when do u want to leave the islands ? Some are only a 45 min boat ride
Didn't realize they were so close to Athens. This is looking good. I'm thinking now that I would probably try to get a Friday morning flight back and spend  Sunday to Thursday morning on the islands and then spend the last day in Athens when I will anyways need to be near the airport.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
Didn't realize they were so close to Athens. This is looking good. I'm thinking now that I would probably try to get a Friday morning flight back and spend  Sunday to Thursday morning on the islands and then spend the last day in Athens when I will anyways need to be near the airport.
The bigger and nicer Islands are a bit further but still should be enough time IMO.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »

on paper now  sounds good -- better check flights and hotels as  oct is a bit late for the islands and if plan to be in athens on thurs  directly from an island   , if stay at airport , great to catch ur flt home -- to get into the city -- i blv an hour on train and abt 60 euro cab --they do run buses to city too --some islands have air service leaving very early in A.M.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »
on paper now  sounds good -- better check flights and hotels as  oct is a bit late for the islands and if plan to be in athens on thurs  directly from an island   , if stay at airport , great to catch ur flt home -- to get into the city -- i blv an hour on train and abt 60 euro cab --they do run buses to city too --some islands have air service leaving very early in A.M.
My dates are Sept 29 to Oct 3. Is that considered late in the season that things will be closed and it will be cold?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2013, 04:16:15 AM »
My dates are Sept 29 to Oct 3. Is that considered late in the season that things will be closed and it will be cold?

to better understand --look at starwood Santa Marina Resort & Villas, Mykonos  closed at oct 1 and in sept rates change to end of season deals and Blue Palace Resort & Spa, Elounda crete that is very south closed end of oct and Vedema Resort, Santorini closed end of sept

end sept a little late in season , but i would still go( you need to do some work on who is open etc.) -- just keep in mind it is not prime prime time --- will not be "cold" and water should still be warm -- just not like in july or aug , when u get up in a.m. you do not need to check if it is a beach day ,as sun will shine and it will be hot like yesterday or hotter
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:19:56 AM by SPLP »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
to better understand --look at starwood Santa Marina Resort & Villas, Mykonos  closed at oct 1 and in sept rates change to end of season deals and Blue Palace Resort & Spa, Elounda crete that is very south closed end of oct and Vedema Resort, Santorini closed end of sept

end sept a little late in season , but i would still go( you need to do some work on who is open etc.) -- just keep in mind it is not prime prime time --- will not be "cold" and water should still be warm -- just not like in july or aug , when u get up in a.m. you do not need to check if it is a beach day ,as sun will shine and it will be hot like yesterday or hotter
Thanks for all the info, yes I see how those hotels close at the end of September. Makes me nervous about the whole thing now.

If I do go I have 2 options I am thinking about, one fly from TLV direct to Crete, spend Sunday there, Monday take boat to Santorini and be there till Wed  when I take the boat to Athens to spend a day there before I fly home Thursday. Since I fly to Crete direct from TLV i save a bit of travel.

option 2 fly to athens and connect to Santorini Sunday which is an extra flight, till Tues in Santorini, Tues to Wed spend in Mykonons and on Wed take the boat to Athens. Which one sounds better? Or should I do something totally different?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
Thanks for all the info, yes I see how those hotels close at the end of September. Makes me nervous about the whole thing now.

If I do go I have 2 options I am thinking about, one fly from TLV direct to Crete, spend Sunday there, Monday take boat to Santorini and be there till Wed  when I take the boat to Athens to spend a day there before I fly home Thursday. Since I fly to Crete direct from TLV i save a bit of travel.

option 2 fly to athens and connect to Santorini Sunday which is an extra flight, till Tues in Santorini, Tues to Wed spend in Mykonons and on Wed take the boat to Athens. Which one sounds better? Or should I do something totally different?

# 1 is better -- ur going in the right direction -- do not know what u like to do --  if it were me and had 3-4 days ,i am not the type that likes to change islands - hotels every 36 hours or so -- but people do like to hop around just not me -- good luck

check all the skeds as i said "on paper" everything is doable

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
Oh I hate changing hotels especially because I am going with a baby, but what can I do. I don't really need to do activities I am more interested in getting a feel for the area and just taking it all in, as I heard that's the islands are beautifull.

I checked the Crete Santorini ferry schedule which takes 2 hours. It does run then from Heraklion to Santorini all the way till October 31. Option 1 is looking good now, only catch is that the flight from TLV to Crete lands at 115 pm and the ferry to Santorini from Crete leaves 9am so I would need to be in Crete from Sunday afternoon till Tuesday morning for it to be worth stopping there, and then be in Santorini till Wednesday afternoon giving me only 1 day there.

How quick are the fastest ferries from Santorini to Athens? I haven't found shorter than 4 - 5 hours is that standard?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
not sure --google -- or fly in less than an hour --- if want to look around get feel that is fine and since late in season  no crowds like aug , u  get to see more-ENJOY

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »
not sure --google -- or fly in less than an hour --- if want to look around get feel that is fine and since late in season  no crowds like aug , u  get to see more-ENJOY
Thanks for all your help I'll keep you posted when it's booked!

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2013, 02:59:07 AM »
Is there anything I must do? I'm being in athens for about 2 days.