Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 225032 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #500 on: February 28, 2016, 07:56:49 AM »
some passengers will speak eng/greek to help u--- ask the place u are staying at to give u the name of the airport bus stop -have them send it to you in greek so can show to driver if required

u need to buy tkt b4 ride the bus --when u depart airport after getting luggage --ticket seller booth should be on far end on right hand side -bus runs about every 15 min

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 01, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
some passengers will speak eng/greek to help u--- ask the place u are staying at to give u the name of the airport bus stop -have them send it to you in greek so can show to driver if required

u need to buy tkt b4 ride the bus --when u depart airport after getting luggage --ticket seller booth should be on far end on right hand side -bus runs about every 15 min
Thanks, really appreciate the help.

Have ppl eaten at the Chabad on the sabbath, and is it strongly recommended?

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #502 on: March 01, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »

Yes I ate there when I visited last summer and it was fantastic. Great food and very nice company

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2016, 03:36:36 AM »
Looking for advice.
On Friday, which is our one full day in Athens, we can either do a 'free' walking tour for 3 hours, and then fill in the rest of the day, or pay the entrance fee for the Acropolis (its increasing starting next month) and spend the day there and the other attractions which are covered in the cost of the ticket.

Which is preferred?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2016, 06:22:07 AM »

Was my second favorite shabbos in Europe.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »

Was my second favorite shabbos in Europe.
Don't keep us in suspense
We've signed up for both meals, as our Chabad shabbos experiences in other countries was also a highlight of the trip.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 17, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »
 Does anyone know about car rentals in Greece.

1. Do they still require an International Drivers License or will my US License work?
2. Is there mandatory insurance they make you take or is CC insurance enough. If it is, are you better off with Amex or Sapphire?
3. How difficult is parking in and around Athens. I will spending most of my time outside Athens where I will need a car and 1 1/2 days in Athens at the end. I plan on parking it at the King George Hotel where we will be staying and returning it at the airport the next day. Does this make sense? (Will be there with my family of 6 so might be difficult getting around with taxis)

Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Jm1248

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 17, 2016, 04:20:29 PM »
Does anyone know about car rentals in Greece.

1. Do they still require an International Drivers License or will my US License work?
2. Is there mandatory insurance they make you take or is CC insurance enough. If it is, are you better off with Amex or Sapphire?
3. How difficult is parking in and around Athens. I will spending most of my time outside Athens where I will need a car and 1 1/2 days in Athens at the end. I plan on parking it at the King George Hotel where we will be staying and returning it at the airport the next day. Does this make sense? (Will be there with my family of 6 so might be difficult getting around with taxis)

Any help will be appreciated.
1. They do, although I am sure you can find a place that will rent without one. Not worth the chance over $15
2. CC is fine. I damaged a car in Thessaloniki and my Sapphire card covered it.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 17, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
1. They do, although I am sure you can find a place that will rent without one. Not worth the chance over $15
2. CC is fine. I damaged a car in Thessaloniki and my Sapphire card covered it.

Thank You. I am assuming you had to pay Liability like in Israel while the CC covers Theft & Collision?

If anyone can tell me what driving and parking is like in and around Athens I'd appreciate it.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 18, 2016, 03:54:43 AM »
Thank You. I am assuming you had to pay Liability like in Israel while the CC covers Theft & Collision?

If anyone can tell me what driving and parking is like in and around Athens I'd appreciate it.

parking in Athens very,very difficult plus getting around the city with a car is also  difficult -street names difficult to see or even find - signs are not all in English,locals do not respect the normal driving rules -- public transportation works very well but with 6?------ with 6 people1  taxi will not work -may be best if touring to take a stop off -get back tour bus

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 19, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »
Short summary:
1) Flew using LY's winter sale using miles, tasty sandwhich and my legs fit, so a success in all ways
2) Stayed at this Airbnb, https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2843975, due to its location close to Chabad, and were happy with the location, service, and apartment.
3) Ate at Chabad on Thursday and shabbat. Thursday night was very nice, and shabbat was nice, although the shabbat main courses were a bit on the light end.
4) Paid 80 euro rt for the 6 of us to take the 5 hour train ride up to Kalambaka, next to Meteora.
5) Stayed at this location, https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/666135, which is more of an inn, and were very pleaesd with the new rooms, and the very attentive service.
6) Meteora is highly recommended, with beautiful scenery, hikes, and the interesting monestary's, some of which are active and some not, aylor.
7) Used IHG points to stay at the Holiday Inn next to the airport, which was surprisingly very nice, with a well decored lobby (but ugly couches), pillow options, and a comfortable bar.

Any questions, you can pm

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 25, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
We plan on being in Athens for one day after a longer trip to other parts of Greece.  I just found out that this day is Easter Sunday in Greece and all attractions and tours are closed!!   Does anyone know any Jewish Tours that would be able to do a tour of the city without actually going into any museums or ancients sites?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
We plan on being in Athens for one day after a longer trip to other parts of Greece.  I just found out that this day is Easter Sunday in Greece and all attractions and tours are closed!!   Does anyone know any Jewish Tours that would be able to do a tour of the city without actually going into any museums or ancients sites?
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189400-d4162306-Reviews-Athens_Jewish_City_Day_Tours-Athens_Attica.html

Here's info I got from the shaliach. Unsure if it's connected to the link above.

The guide's name is Mrs. Ricky Vidal - rickyvidalgr@gmail.com - she charges 150 Euros not including entrances to the sites.
She can do the tour in Hebrew or English.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2016, 03:04:19 PM »

The guide's name is Mrs. Ricky Vidal - rickyvidalgr@gmail.com - she charges 150 Euros not including entrances to the sites.
She can do the tour in Hebrew or English.
pricey but amazing guide.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 27, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Thanks Drago & Emkay. I will contact her.  Hope its pays to do a tour with the sites closed.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 27, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
Thanks Drago & Emkay. I will contact her.  Hope its pays to do a tour with the sites closed.

SITES MAYBE CLOSED ON MONDAY TOO, AS SOMETIMES MAY DAY GET CELEBRATED ON MONDAY IF FALL ON SUNDAY

Offline D1818

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:03 PM »
Hi, everyone. I am interested in traveling to Greece for Pesach. I was thinking of Maagalim tours in Peloponnese or Creta Palace in Crete with Perla Luxury. Is anyone else here going to any of these programs? Where are you traveling from?
Is anyone going from Peloponnese (Olympia Oasis) on May 1 to Athens airport?  Do you know if they will have enough people for the programs because I am worried about it canceling.
Which island is prettier to visit?
Has anyone been to Crete or Peloponnese and recommend places to visit in those areas. Are there bus tours since I won't have a car.
I want to know will a universal adapter work in Greece?

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 20, 2016, 05:43:08 AM »
OK thank you @emkay. I think Greece it is.
First question, are babies welcome in Greece overall? Meaning, is it easy to tour Athens/visit the islands by train/ferry with a carriage.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 20, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »

OK thank you @emkay. I think Greece it is.
First question, are babies welcome in Greece overall? Meaning, is it easy to tour Athens/visit the islands by train/ferry with a carriage.

What age? I feel vacation destinations tend to be harder with a baby usually.
All the public transport is easy though

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »

What age? I feel vacation destinations tend to be harder with a baby usually.
All the public transport is easy though
My baby is 8 months KaH.
After looking around a little I think I would like to do 1 day in Athens to tour and the rest on the islands to relax. Maybe a boat ride to get from island to island. What do you think? Also how should I get from Athens to the islands, fly/train?
Any other tips for our Greece trip would be appreciated. We have 2.5 weeks to spend there.
Tia