Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 224999 times)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #640 on: April 28, 2018, 10:27:05 PM »
Any direct flights between Crete, Santorini or Mykonos and TLV?

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 28, 2018, 11:19:09 PM »
Whats the best site to book tickets from Tlv to jtr i can't find any good deals or normal times ?

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 29, 2018, 01:24:43 AM »
Whats the best site to book tickets from Tlv to jtr i can't find any good deals or normal times ?

Any direct flights between Crete, Santorini or Mykonos and TLV?

I went to crete for 5 days. I settled on crete as opposed to the many other islands mainly because of points hotel availability & ease of getting there.

Flights - I was first checking the standard Priceline kayak… the options weren’t great price wise & scheduling. I was then directed to 3 Israeli deal sites bo nauf (בא נעוף), hulyo (חוליו) & daka90. Bo nauf does not have a website they have an app. Every wed morn at 9am Israel time (iirc) they release deals which are available for 24 hours. Hulyo is an app as well as a website & pretty much every day they release new deals. Daka90 is like an Israeli Priceline - app & website. I ended up calling daka90 & booking over the phone with them & I was very happy with their cs. All these sites mentioned show flights which you won’t find on the standard Kayak Priceline etc. If you have more questions about this pm me I’ll be happy to share more details.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/not-el-al-the-smaller-israeli-airlines-that-will-get-you-there-for-cheap/
Just saw this, some more options to look into, although they don’t mention the deal sites I used which also have small Greek airlines that I couldn’t even find websites for.

Hotels - I looked at all the points hotel options on the different islands, Hyatt & Hilton both don’t have, SPG has a bunch of random & Marriott has 2 in crete. After going through the options, Domes of elounda seemed like our best choice for a few reasons. Flying direct into crete as opposed to other islands seemed the easiest & with a baby that was a priority, standard rooms were pricing at €850 & we would be paying just 45k Marriott for 4 nights & 5th night free. The standard rooms are suites with a balcony & private jacuzzi & we were hoping for an upgrade which we got to a room with a private pool as well (in my request for an upgrade to a room with a pool, I asked that I be given one high up so that it is completely private & nobody can see in - b”h they pulled through). If you’re going without kids it might be worth looking into domes noruz Chania which is an all adult hotel. Do a drop of research into domes of elounda & you’ll see all the great things about the hotel, pools, on the beach, all suites…

I’ll get another post out soon about what we did & try to add some pics as well.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 29, 2018, 01:30:05 AM »

Thanks!
Do any of these sites have an english version?

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 29, 2018, 01:32:26 AM »
Thanks!
Do any of these sites have an english version?

Don’t know

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2018, 10:22:43 PM »
Ok, as you insist. I think Santorini is overpriced, overcrowded, and overrated.
Hotels are expensive and have very small rooms. There is one goal on the locals minds, suck every penny out of this invader who is crowding my space. The iconic shots on Instagram (which are ridiculously packed by sunset with savages fighting for that picture to show everyone their life is perfectly idylic) aren't as picture picture as they may come off. The island isn't very clean and can occasionally smell.
There are just as nice sunsets, people, experiences, hotels, beaches....on other islands that aren't as overpreached as this one.
As I said, this isn't very helpful to you and it's likely not what you wanted to hear.

That being said I'm sure you will have the time of your life and will enjoy it immensely. There are ways to get off the beaten path and I'm sure the crowd issue is less now in the beginning of the season then during peak.

I was thinking of doing Santorini and Crete, would you recommend doing Rhodes instead of Santorini?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 06, 2018, 09:29:06 AM »
Any travel books (similar to Maui and Kauai revealed) for Greece / Greek Islands that anyone would recommend?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 13, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
Best option for ATV'ing and Sunset if staying at Vedema?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2018, 07:48:45 AM »
Has anyone taken a Helicopter between the greek islands?

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »
Looked into it and it was megexpensive vrs ferries - unless you want to pay for the experience itself, it's not close to economical. Even private water taxi would be much cheaper.

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
Hi i just came back from a 3 day trip to Santorini greece  its amazing place we stayed in Oia Tr coming soon.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
Hi i just came back from a 3 day trip to Santorini greece  its amazing place we stayed in Oia Tr coming soon.

Where did u stay in Oia? Cant wait for TR!

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 23, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #653 on: May 23, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 23, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
Grand Hyatt coming to Athens

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article99927.html

"The opening is expected in Q3 2018. "

Should be this summer

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
I did a 5 day trip to Greece from Israel last summer. I’ll do my best to post a mini tr in the next day or two. Don’t feel bad nudging me to get it done.

Nudge for that trip report!

Im heading to Domes Noruz in Chania in late June with my wife and I need all the info on where to go and what to do and see!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »
Nudge for that trip report!

Im heading to Domes Noruz in Chania in late June with my wife and I need all the info on where to go and what to do and see!

Thanks in advance!

Most of what I did prob won’t be too helpful for you because I stayed in elounda which is about a 3 hour drive from Chania, regardless I didn’t do much. We hung out a lot in our hotel. We had a private pool & jacuzzi & the hotel had a private beach. We had a 1 year old with us so we were pretty limited in regards to what we can do such as atving, water sports, etc.  One day we drove about an hour to lerapetra where we took a ferry to Chrisi. Chrisi is a stunning island which iinm is entirely a nature reserve. The beaches there are beautiful. Another day we took a boat from plaka (right next to elounda) to spinalonga which is an old leper colony. There’s not much to do there, it’s somewhat like a museum, but it’s great for taking pix. Besides for those two things we pretty much hung out, swam & just relaxed. If I get to a computer later I’ll try to add some pix.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 24, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
Anyone know how much a taxi or shuttle would cost from Airport or Port of Heraklion to Blue Palace (about 1 hour drive)?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 25, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
Most of what I did prob won’t be too helpful for you because I stayed in elounda which is about a 3 hour drive from Chania, regardless I didn’t do much. We hung out a lot in our hotel. We had a private pool & jacuzzi & the hotel had a private beach. We had a 1 year old with us so we were pretty limited in regards to what we can do such as atving, water sports, etc.  One day we drove about an hour to lerapetra where we took a ferry to Chrisi. Chrisi is a stunning island which iinm is entirely a nature reserve. The beaches there are beautiful. Another day we took a boat from plaka (right next to elounda) to spinalonga which is an old leper colony. There’s not much to do there, it’s somewhat like a museum, but it’s great for taking pix. Besides for those two things we pretty much hung out, swam & just relaxed. If I get to a computer later I’ll try to add some pix.

Where did you stay in Elounda?
Did you rent a car?

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 25, 2018, 08:34:29 AM »
Where did you stay in Elounda?
Did you rent a car?

Domes of elounda. I actually rented a car through the hotel as they had a better rate than anywhere else.

Why’d you pick blue palace over domes of elounda?