Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed
« Last edited by pcgeek on November 03, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 188660 times)

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #4560 on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Dell OptiPlex 7010. Time and date keep going wrong. The network it's connected to - the server is correct. Any ideas? Applications work.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: November 15, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
just bought a computer for school (accounting) 2 questions
1: i need word and excel (mic office) i signed up for the trial. what is the best way to get it permanently on my computer. I have to be able to transfer it to a different laptop as i am not sure i am happy with the laptop that i bought 9 thats why i bought it in costco-i know i only have 90 days)
2: what is a good (pref free) program to teach me how to type properly with using all my 10 fingers
thanks

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: November 15, 2017, 10:12:28 PM »
1: i need word and excel (mic office) i signed up for the trial. what is the best way to get it permanently on my computer. I have to be able to transfer it to a different laptop as i am not sure i am happy with the laptop that i bought 9 thats why i bought it in costco-i know i only have 90 days)
2: what is a good (pref free) program to teach me how to type properly with using all my 10 fingers
thanks
1) Buying the normal retail version of Microsoft Office is one way. You should be able to transfer and activate it on another PC if you switch. Doing the Office 365 Subscription you can transfer to whatever device you want.

2) TypeFaster is a simple, no-nonsense, program which is pretty good. Download free here https://sourceforge.net/projects/typefaster/ or a portable version here https://portableapps.com/apps/education/typefaster_portable

Online sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: November 15, 2017, 10:35:03 PM »
thanks

For #1 you can buy on eBay 5 PC keys for pennies. Have very good experience with that UK seller on there, very prompt.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: November 15, 2017, 10:39:13 PM »
Dell OptiPlex 7010. Time and date keep going wrong. The network it's connected to - the server is correct. Any ideas? Applications work.
tried this?

Press “Windows+X” and click on “control panel”.
On the left hand side click on “clock, language and region”.
Click on “change time zone”.
And then click on the tab “internet time” and click on “change settings”.
Check the box “synchronize with an internet time server” and also select the option “time.windows.com” from the drop down and click on “ok” and check if the issue persists.

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »
For #1 you can buy on eBay 5 PC keys for pennies. Have very good experience with that UK seller on there, very prompt.
would you mind either to pm me or post the link thanks

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #4566 on: November 16, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
tried this?

Press “Windows+X” and click on “control panel”.
On the left hand side click on “clock, language and region”.
Click on “change time zone”.
And then click on the tab “internet time” and click on “change settings”.
Check the box “synchronize with an internet time server” and also select the option “time.windows.com” from the drop down and click on “ok” and check if the issue persists.
Thanks. Will try
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”