Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 977329 times)

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #3440 on: December 26, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »

My friend, there's no need whatsoever to point out every 2nd line that your ignorant or noobie...you may ask advice even if you aren't (hint: you aren't...)  ;)

I'll try to answer as for what I know and I hope with other guys' input something will come out for you...

A) Windows is stored on the (1 TB) HDD. If you'll replace it you'll have two options, first - and best - is cloning (in plain English, copying the whole thing) the old HDD to the new one (for which you'll need an accessory like this to have them both connected at once.) 2nd option would be reinstalling Windows. (which isn't that hard either, but you should first sign into the laptop with your MS account so that the license will work automatically even after changing drive.)

B) IMHO 256GB is more than enough "working" space if you don't plan on having a huge collection of Music or Videos saved on there. And if you're going with 250GB the Samsung and the Crucial are almost same price so the Samsung would be the way to go. If you do wanna go with the 500GB it is hard to make the decision, it is not just like five bucks more, but the Samsung is after all the king, and as a bonus the Samsung comes with 2 more years warranty and a great easy to use cloning software (if you go with option 1 for the previous answer.)

C) Yes, all normal laptops use the same 2.5" SATA slot which fits all 2.5" SATA drives.

D) It is more complicated. Not necessarily the mere installation which is a bit more delicate, but the choosing should be complete exact (some tiny, almost unnotable, specs may make all the difference between success and failure) match and some problems that may arise. So I would not recommend it for a first or 2nd-time laptop tinkering.

BTW, as I noted in that deals thread lately laptops come more closed down and in order to change a thing you need to crack them all the way open (unlike in the past that most came with easily unscrewable covers to open and make these upgrades.) How is this specific model in this regards?
Before I start to disagree with Yisroel Tech I want to pre-empt and say that he is definitely very knowledgeable and certainly has more patience than I do and he is one of the greatest assets to this thread and all of tech talk.

As someone who has reinstalled windows 10 probably at least 100+ times, there is no need to sign in with a Microsoft account and quite the contrary, I strongly advise you not to use a Microsoft account because there is no reason to give them so much personal info.
Samsung is definitely #1 in the ssds by far however IMO it's not worth the premium over crucial for regular pc usage. I have installed over 100 crucial ssds and haven't had issues with them, recently I've been using the 275gb mx300 (which actually gives you 256gb usable space)
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: December 26, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
As someone who has reinstalled windows 10 probably at least 100+ times, there is no need to sign in with a Microsoft account and quite the contrary, I strongly advise you not to use a Microsoft account because there is no reason to give them so much personal info.
Isn't there a benefit that if one forgot the password they can reset it?
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: December 26, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »
I use WebChaver and am haing some trouble accessing certain pages of DDF. CS recommended I erase my entire browsing history and cache. Is there any way to export it, and than import it back?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: December 26, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »
I use WebChaver and am haing some trouble accessing certain pages of DDF. CS recommended I erase my entire browsing history and cache. Is there any way to export it, and than import it back?
Why don't you start with the cache? There's no reason not to delete it.

Offline DanH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 26, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »
Isn't there a benefit that if one forgot the password they can reset it?
Yes.  But there are cons.  For example, if you somehow can't access the email it was registered to.  Or you don't have internet access.  Which brings us to the bigger problem (in my experience).  If you for some reason cannot reset the password, you can't log back into that user account.  You can't change it to a local account offline.  So yes, you can access all their files, but to actually login as that user again - i haven't been successful in doing that. (adding a new admin user and attempting to remove pwd - not possible, using win dart - doesnt help, etc.only bypass method was if they were using a PIN)
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline yakov116

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: December 26, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »
Yes.  But there are cons.  For example, if you somehow can't access the email it was registered to.  Or you don't have internet access.  Which brings us to the bigger problem (in my experience).  If you for some reason cannot reset the password, you can't log back into that user account.  You can't change it to a local account offline.  So yes, you can access all their files, but to actually login as that user again - i haven't been successful in doing that. (adding a new admin user and attempting to remove pwd - not possible, using win dart - doesnt help, etc.only bypass method was if they were using a PIN)
Wow did not know that
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: December 26, 2016, 11:05:58 PM »
Why don't you start with the cache? There's no reason not to delete it.
Tried all. Didn't help. Strange thing is it works fine if I'm not signed in to DDF.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:57:52 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: December 26, 2016, 11:43:09 PM »
I have these really nooby questions, please don't mind me.
I just got this laptopand have some questions before I start it up.
As you can see in the link, this comes with a 1TB HDD, which I'd like to upgrade to an SSD.

A) This laptop comes with Windows 10 Signature Edition; where is that stored? Is it stored in the HDD? If I replace it with an SSD, will I need to somehow reinstall windows?

B) 256 GB sounds like not enough storage space for a laptop (yes, I know about the cloud). Does THIS Crucial 525GB SATA work nicely? Or is it worth paying an extra $40+ for the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB?

C) Again, please excuse my terrible ignorance, but are these the same exact physical size as the HDD it's replacing? Is the "slot" the same size in all windows 13"-17" laptops?

D) Is upgrading/adding RAM from 8GB to 16GB something that makes sense for someone who habitually keeps dozens of tabs and multiple windows open at once?
Does installation involve anything complicated or is it rather simple? And (this one is so embarrassing :-[ ) how do I go about buying one (there doesn't seem to be a huge selection)? And is there any specific one that's highly recommended?

Would really appreciate if someone has the patients to respond to my ignorance.
TIA!!
It seems like a few people here do have the patience to help you out. The question is if someone who has patients would have the patience.

Offline DanH

• View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: December 27, 2016, 01:25:30 AM »
Wow did not know that
it seems like i may be wrong about this. or, it seems like there is a way to get into the account.. gonna test it later and report back
thanks @yisroel tech

EDIT:
I was wrong.  It's possible.  Thank you YisroelTech!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:41:24 AM by DanH »

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: December 27, 2016, 02:27:58 AM »
Thank you everyone for all your responses!
A) Windows is stored on the (1 TB) HDD. If you'll replace it you'll have two options, first - and best - is cloning (in plain English, copying the whole thing) the old HDD to the new one (for which you'll need an accessory like this to have them both connected at once.) 2nd option would be reinstalling Windows. (which isn't that hard either, but you should first sign into the laptop with your MS account so that the license will work automatically even after changing drive.)
Re. option 2, do I need to pay for that? And would it be free of bloatware like the version MS sent me?

So how then do I reinstall Windows?

B) IMHO 256GB is more than enough "working" space if you don't plan on having a huge collection of Music or Videos saved on there. And if you're going with 250GB the Samsung and the Crucial are almost same price so the Samsung would be the way to go. If you do wanna go with the 500GB it is hard to make the decision, it is not just like five bucks more, but the Samsung is after all the king, and as a bonus the Samsung comes with 2 more years warranty and a great easy to use cloning software (if you go with option 1 for the previous answer.)
So let's say I go with the Crucial (which seemingly doesn't provide this cloning software), is there some other cloning software I'd need to download? Or do I just use the cable you linked to?

BTW, as I noted in that deals thread lately laptops come more closed down and in order to change a thing you need to crack them all the way open (unlike in the past that most came with easily unscrewable covers to open and make these upgrades.) How is this specific model in this regards?
I'm taking into account one of the comments on the product page who wrote "Very easy access to hard drive bay, so swapping HDD for SSD is a breeze".

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: December 27, 2016, 06:09:44 AM »
Thank you everyone for all your responses!Re. option 2, do I need to pay for that? And would it be free of bloatware like the version MS sent me?
So how then do I reinstall Windows?
So let's say I go with the Crucial (which seemingly doesn't provide this cloning software), is there some other cloning software I'd need to download? Or do I just use the cable you linked to?
I'm taking into account one of the comments on the product page who wrote "Very easy access to hard drive bay, so swapping HDD for SSD is a breeze".
Google  "windows media creation tool" and you'll find a page from Microsoft to download Windows into a USB drive (make sure it's empty) it will take some time to create it (maybe 1hr iirc) and you can use it to install Windows on your computer. It comes without any bloatware.

Offline DanH

• View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: December 27, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
Google  "windows media creation tool" and you'll find a page from Microsoft to download Windows into a USB drive (make sure it's empty) it will take some time to create it (maybe 1hr iirc) and you can use it to install Windows on your computer. It comes without any bloatware.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  (just to save you some time)

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 27, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
You need a cloning software in addition to the cable, there are free cloning software like Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Backup

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: December 27, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
You need a cloning software in addition to the cable, there are free cloning software like Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Backup
That do include a cloning software, they include acronis

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: December 27, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »
That do include a cloning software, they include acronis
Oh! That is great. Didn't know.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 27, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
Oh! That is great. Didn't know.
I have all these sitting on my desk

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: December 27, 2016, 07:41:55 PM »
I have all these sitting on my desk

Can I get one?  ;)
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: December 27, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
Can I get one?  ;)
Sure pm me tomorrow and I'll send you a code

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 27, 2016, 08:25:08 PM »
Sure pm me tomorrow and I'll send you a code

I was actually kidding. I usually use Clonezilla Server. How does this compare for regular clone?
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 27, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »
I was actually kidding. I usually use Clonezilla Server. How does this compare for regular clone?
I've yet to use them
If anyone wants one I'll gladly give them out.