Author Topic: Lawn Advice  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Entrepreneur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Advice
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Any recommendations on a good weed killer. I have tall weeds with thick trunks. I don't care if it kills anything around it (which are more weeds)

Thanks

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Any recommendations on a good weed killer. I have tall weeds with thick trunks. I don't care if it kills anything around it (which are more weeds)

Thanks
It sounds to me like your first step should be this which should kill the weeds and leave the grass. If that does not work then you may need a total vegetation killer. I have a feeling you can get these at a much better price at Lowes or HD. The Amazon link is mor for reference.
AmazonSmile : Bayer Advanced 704080 All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer Ready-To-Spray, 32-Ounce : Zoysia Grass Killer : Patio, Lawn & Garden ($21.23)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:45:27 AM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
https://www.roundup.com/smg/gosite/RUP/home?locale=en_US
Well known.  Spray at leaves. Goes to roots. Kills plant.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
https://www.roundup.com/smg/gosite/RUP/home?locale=en_US
Well known.  Spray at leaves. Goes to roots. Kills plant.
I would recommend using that only as a step 2. The item I linked to above is very simple . You attach it to the end of your hose and spray up your whole yard. It will kill weeds and leave grass which you may have more of that you think once the weeds are out of the way.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Advise
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
Quite embarrassing, I'm usually pretty good about punctuation..
Your missing a peroid ;D

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Your missing a peroid ;D
At least spell check your post before critique.

Offline HowYaDoin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
Your missing a peroid ;D
You always respond to posts that are more then 4 yrs old??

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
At least spell check your post before critique.

Muphry's Law
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:35 AM »
I'm starting grass anew after i ripped out my sod grass from a few years ago that was mostly weeds.
I raked and removed all rocks.
I then put down scotts lawn soil and turf builder.
Am i/was i supposed to use https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-20-lb-Sun-and-Shade-Seed/4067858 or https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Turf-Builder-EZ-Seed-Patch-and-Repair-Sun-and-Shade-20-lb-Sun-and-Shade-Lawn-Repair-Mix/1000042425 ?
On one side of my lawn (smaller side) i used the patch and repair one, but then the next day i also applied some of the regular sun and shade one. That side seems to be picking up nicely, and there are very few bare spots left after 12 days.
On my other larger side, i only used the first option (the regular sun and shade) and it is coming in much slower and tons of missing spots after 11 days.
The people at scotts made it sound that that is the correct version to use when you are seeing the whole area for the first time, yet I'm finding that the repair one seems to work much better.
Did i do something wrong? Also, i need to reseed all the bare areas. Should i try again with the regular seed (option 1) since that is so that i currently have?

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:41 AM »
Anyone use trugreen or lawn doctor or one of those types of services? Pros? Cons?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:26 AM »
I'm starting grass anew after i ripped out my sod grass from a few years ago that was mostly weeds.
Am i/was i supposed to use https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-20-lb-Sun-and-Shade-Seed/4067858 or https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Turf-Builder-EZ-Seed-Patch-and-Repair-Sun-and-Shade-20-lb-Sun-and-Shade-Lawn-Repair-Mix/1000042425 ?
On one side of my lawn (smaller side) i used the patch and repair one, but then the next day i also applied some of the regular sun and shade one. That side seems to be picking up nicely, and there are very few bare spots left after 12 days.
On my other larger side, i only used the first option (the regular sun and shade) and it is coming in much slower and tons of missing spots after 11 days.
The people at scotts made it sound that that is the correct version to use when you are seeing the whole area for the first time, yet I'm finding that the repair one seems to work much better.
Did i do something wrong? Also, i need to reseed all the bare areas. Should i try again with the regular seed (option 1) since that is so that i currently have?
I think the repair one contained fertilizer so that's why it works..
Btw, it's very lake in the season to start grass

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

The patch seeds are a breed which germinates quickly to temporarily fill in patches but is a low quality grass which typically dies over the winter. Exactly which seed is best for you depends on location and the specifics of your yard regarding soil sun and shade. One of the big issues involved in seeding is the way the seeds shift with water erosion. There are various products available to prevent that.

Also,
Btw, it's very late in the season to start grass
Which is another reason the patch seed is working better.

I would have recommended against ripping out the sod. You probably would have done better killing the weeds and reviving what was left of the sod. Starting a lawn is a big job.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »
[[[[[One of the big issues involved in seeding is the way the seeds shift with water erosion. There are various products available to prevent that.]]]]]

That is my other issue here. There are parts that got swept away and eroded from rains. It washed away the Scotts lawnsoilstarter fertilizer and seeds in those areas.
I'm assuming i need to put some fresh soil in those areas with grass seeds again? How can i prevent it from happening again?

Also, it seems that on one corner of my lawn, where the driveway meets the sidewalk and lawn, if seems that any water on my driveway seems to roll off and congregate into that corner of driveway as well as a foot into my lawn. So a nice puddle sits there, and eventually seeps out onto the sidewalk taking those area seeds with it.     How do I keep the runoff away temporarily once i replant until the roots catch? Should i build the lawnsoil higher or lower in that area?

Much thanks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:36:06 AM by Deal Guy »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
[[[[[One of the big issues involved in seeding is the way the seeds shift with water erosion. There are various products available to prevent that.]]]]]

That is my other issue here. There are parts that got swept away and eroded from rains. It washed away the Scotts lawnsoilstarter fertilizer and seeds in those areas.
I'm assuming i need to put some fresh soil in those areas with grass seeds again? How can i prevent it from happening again?

Also, it seems that on one corner of my lawn, where the driveway meets the sidewalk and lawn, if seems that any water on my driveway seems to roll off and congregate into that corner of driveway as well as a foot into my lawn. So a nice puddle sits there, and eventually seeps out onto the sidewalk taking those area seeds with it.     How do I keep the runoff away temporarily once i replant until the roots catch? Should i build the lawnsoil higher or lower in that area?

Much thanks.
You will notice that when the builders start a lawn they ALWAYS put down straw. That is done to mitigate erosion and pooling. On a larger area it is probably the most cost effective way to do it, but there are other products which will do it as well known as seeding mulch. There are many different types with some spreadable in a seed spreader. I had one which worked well made from recycled newspapers which with water turned into a mush which covered the seeds and held them down. I don't remember where I got that but there are many similar products around.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=seeding+mulch

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
You will notice that when the builders start a lawn they ALWAYS put down straw. That is done to mitigate erosion and pooling. On a larger area it is probably the most cost effective way to do it, but there are other products which will do it as well known as seeding mulch. There are many different types with some spreadable in a seed spreader. I had one which worked well made from recycled newspapers which with water turned into a mush which covered the seeds and held them down. I don't remember where I got that but there are many similar products around.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=seeding+mulch
Had the same problem, recently seeded and it rained so much that i have bare spots where the dirt washed away.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
Not sure even straw can help. So much water puddles into that corner area that at times it can be 2 inches deep of mud and water. I need to figure out how to keep water away from that corner area for a few weeks.
Will big rocks around that part of the driveway work? Any other ideas? 

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
Not sure even straw can help. So much water puddles into that corner area that at times it can be 2 inches deep of mud and water. I need to figure out how to keep water away from that corner area for a few weeks.
Will big rocks around that part of the driveway work? Any other ideas?
Add soil

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
Add soil
+.5
Depending on the depth you are trying to build you may need plain dirt first.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
Dig a trench from further back and put a drain pipe like the ones that go under retaining walls. Route the end of the pipe to a spot that will flow away
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.