Topic Wiki

Check out the New Zealand trip report from Fan of Dan

North Island Activities and Attractions
Auckland - boating, hiking, Sky Tower talk, Kosher, Chabad, Hilton & Crowne Plaza Hotels with points.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves - a unique New Zealand attraction.
Lake Taupo - great boating activities, bungee, and a nice Hilton.
Hobbit Movie Set Tour - if you are into that.
White Island - The only active volcano in NZ, has rave reviews.
Tauranga - Mount Maunganui Summit Track, nice beaches.
Tongariro National Park - the first one created in NZ.
Bay of Islands - Beautiful beaches, old town charm in Russell, and great hikes.

Fifth season of "Jet Lag the Game" filmed in New Zealand in 2023, includes visits to tens of attractions from the north tip to the south:
See all the episodes in the Jet Lag the Game thread
« Last edited by YitzyS on June 02, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »

Author Topic: New Zealand Master Thread  (Read 69644 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: New Zealand Master Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2014, 11:27:15 PM »
OK, after back and forth and back and forth, below are the principles that will guide me:

• I will not be concerning myself with Import Health Standard For The Import Health Standard For The Cooked Heat-And-Eat Meals Containing Animal Products For Human Consumption From Canada And USA" at all as it only pertains to commercial consignments.
  • Pursuant to Section 2.1, I feel comfortable that bringing in all chicken- and meat-based Meal Mart meals (not fish and dairy), provided that those with bone-in comprise less than 2 kgs.  (I am cautiously confident that Meal Mart prepares their meals in the "retorted" fashion, as at least one employee has confirmed it.  Further, at least one inspector looked at the pic of the Meal Mart meal and gave approval.)
  • Pursuant to Section 2.3, I feel comfortable bringing in both cooked and uncooked beef, specifically: (i) beef-based POM meals, (ii) uncooked burgers, hot dogs, and steaks, etc., for BBQs., and (iii) deli in packages for for sandwiches.  Total cannot exceed 20 kgs.
  • Pursuant to Section 2.9, I feel reasonably comfortable bringing in dairy-based POM meals.  However, it's not very useful as the entirety of one's dairy meals has to be 2 kgs or less.  (The reason I am only reasonably comfortable is because most of the meals contain "pasta" which is seemingly separately governed by 2.18, and I'm not sure of the interplay.)
  • I believe the limits stated are per person.
  • FYI --any product that is not permitted entry, customs can hold it for you until you depart New Zealand. The charge for this is $20 for the first month then $5 per month after that. If you are here for two weeks then the charge would be $20.

I'll likely bring some beef-based POM meals, a variety of Meal Mart meals, some uncooked meats for BBQ and sandwiches, as well as order the balance of food from Gray's Deli in AKL.

So there you have it, boys and girls. If you learn of anything that contradicts the above, please let me know.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2014, 12:00:58 AM »
OK, after back and forth and back and forth, below are the principles that will guide me:

• I will not be concerning myself with Import Health Standard For The Import Health Standard For The Cooked Heat-And-Eat Meals Containing Animal Products For Human Consumption From Canada And USA" at all as it only pertains to commercial consignments.
  • Pursuant to Section 2.1, I feel comfortable that bringing in all chicken- and meat-based Meal Mart meals (not fish and dairy), provided that those with bone-in comprise less than 2 kgs.  (I am cautiously confident that Meal Mart prepares their meals in the "retorted" fashion, as at least one employee has confirmed it.  Further, at least one inspector looked at the pic of the Meal Mart meal and gave approval.)
  • Pursuant to Section 2.3, I feel comfortable bringing in both cooked and uncooked beef, specifically: (i) beef-based POM meals, (ii) uncooked burgers, hot dogs, and steaks, etc., for BBQs., and (iii) deli in packages for for sandwiches.  Total cannot exceed 20 kgs.
  • Pursuant to Section 2.9, I feel reasonably comfortable bringing in dairy-based POM meals.  However, it's not very useful as the entirety of one's dairy meals has to be 2 kgs or less.  (The reason I am only reasonably comfortable is because most of the meals contain "pasta" which is seemingly separately governed by 2.18, and I'm not sure of the interplay.)
  • I believe the limits stated are per person.
  • FYI --any product that is not permitted entry, customs can hold it for you until you depart New Zealand. The charge for this is $20 for the first month then $5 per month after that. If you are here for two weeks then the charge would be $20.

I'll likely bring some beef-based POM meals, a variety of Meal Mart meals, some uncooked meats for BBQ and sandwiches, as well as order the balance of food from Gray's Deli in AKL.

So there you have it, boys and girls. If you learn of anything that contradicts the above, please let me know.

When are you going?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
Few weeks, Gd willing
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »
Few weeks, Gd willing

From the aeroplan glitch or something else?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »
No, no, something else.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
I can assure you with the greatest of confidence that "retorted" is exactly how Meal Mart Amazing Meals are made. I am 100% certain of this - in fact, I've witnessed the process with my own eyes multiple times at the Meal Mart headquarters in Maspeth, NY. 8)

In fact, years ago, when the concept was still new to them and the name "Amazing Meals" hadn't been thought of yet, these "newfangled" meals were indeed referred to amongst Meal Mart staff as "retorts", for lack of a better name.

That all being said, though, the Stuffed Cabbage meal you posted tastes like $#!+. >:D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:06:19 PM by Moishebatchy »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
I can assure you with the greatest of confidence that "retorted" is exactly how Meal Mart Amazing Meals are made. I am 100% certain of this - in fact, I've witnessed the process with my own eyes multiple times at the Meal Mart headquarters in Maspeth, NY. 8)

In fact, years ago, when the concept was still new to them and the name "Amazing Meals" hadn't been thought of yet, these "newfangled" meals were indeed referred to amongst Meal Mart staff as "retorts", for lack of a better name.

Fantastic.Thanks for the info.

Now all I need to do is have proof if questioned by customs :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
That all being said, though, the Stuffed Cabbage meal you posted tastes like $#!+. >:D

Actually, I find that one to be pretty darn good, one of their best.

Now, there are some I won't go near, like:

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
Fantastic.Thanks for the info.

Now all I need to do is have proof if questioned by customs :)

Pull one meal out of a box and show them, if it happens. Any customs agent worth his salt should be able to recognize a retort tray - plastic, with a thick plastic top layer that appears to be "welded" to the rim of said tray. And the meals all come in the same size trays and same size boxes, because they're all retorted in the same darn machine. :D

Zeh haklall: all Amazing Meals that say "no refrigeration needed" are retorted. There may be one or two that require refrigeration; those are not retorted. But then again, I don't think they say "Amazing Meals" on them, I think they just happen to be that shape and size.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
Yup, AU knew that LB meals were retorted without any fuss at all.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
Pull one meal out of a box and show them, if it happens. Any customs agent worth his salt should be able to recognize a retort tray - plastic, with a thick plastic top layer that appears to be "welded" to the rim of said tray. And the meals all come in the same size trays and same size boxes, because they're all retorted in the same darn machine. :D

Zeh haklall: all Amazing Meals that say "no refrigeration needed" are retorted. There may be one or two that require refrigeration; those are not retorted. But then again, I don't think they say "Amazing Meals" on them, I think they just happen to be that shape and size.

Excellente!

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Actually, I find that one to be pretty darn good, one of their best.

Now, there are some I won't go near, like:

Weird, maybe I got a bad batch... I have like 14 of them sitting here in Jerusalem that I haven't been able to get rid of for over a year.

What's wrong with the gefilte fish? Granted, not as good as fresh, but better than nothing...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
Except this isn't a "better than nothing" quandary. It's a better than... the other varieties of amazing meals.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2014, 08:43:40 PM »
Weird, maybe I got a bad batch... I have like 14 of them sitting here in Jerusalem that I haven't been able to get rid of for over a year.

What's wrong with the gefilte fish? Granted, not as good as fresh, but better than nothing...
hey, if you dont want them, ill take them off your hands.

i any event, nz customs let them through no problem

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »
Except this isn't a "better than nothing" quandary. It's a better than... the other varieties of amazing meals.

Oops, mah bad. I guess I forgot that lesser mortals have to, y'know, choose. :P

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »
hey, if you dont want them, ill take them off your hands.

Hmmmmmm, looks like it's only 9 after all... did you eat my other 5? :(

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »
Oops, mah bad. I guess I forgot that lesser mortals have to, y'know, choose. :P

Someone really likes these here ;)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
Sign me up, please.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
Anyone ever stay in Auckland for shabbas?

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2014, 02:12:37 AM »
Anyone ever stay in Auckland for shabbas?

Yes me a very nice hospitable Jewish community