Topic Wiki

Links to Trip Reports:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/31066
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/32272

Kosher Restaurants:
MEAT:
Milt's.  Don't miss the Chili or the Milt's Burger! 3411 North Broadway Chicago, IL 60657. 773-661-6384
Shallot's.   Amazing sushi and great steaks though quite pricey. 7016 Carpenter Rd Skokie, IL 60077. 847-677-DINE
Ken's Diner.  The classic burger diner joint. 3353 Dempster Skokie, IL 60076. 847-679-4030
Great Chicago. Used to be owned by Ken's, but sold to a different owner. Many of the same items. 3149 W. Devon Chicago, IL 60659. 773-465-9030
Taboun Grill. Good Israeli food. Schwarma, Shnitzel, moroccan Cigars. 8808 N. Gross Point Rd Skokie, IL. 847-965-1818
Mizrahi Grill. Similar to Taboun. Located in the northern suburbs.  215 Skokie Valley Rd Highland Park, IL . 847-831-1400
Tein Li Chow. Chinese food. Located in the Jewel supermarket which also has a kosher bakery and deli. Takeout only. 2485 W. Howard Evanston, IL. 847-328-4642
The Sandwich Club. Burgers, deli sandwiches...etc. 4507 W. Oakton Skokie, IL 60076. 847-677-6020
Bebe's Kosher Deli. Downtown Chicago- They have bagels/cream cheese on one side and deli sandwiches on the other.131 North Clinton Chicago, IL. 312-207-0572
Metroklub. Downtown Chicago-Only open during lunch M-Th. In the Crown Plaza hotel. 733 West Madison Street, Chicago, IL 60661. (312) 602-2104
Hy Life Bistro. Connected to Slice of Life (see below). On the expensive side, though not quite Shallots levels. 4120 W. Dempster Skokie, IL 60076 . 847-674-2021

DAIRY:
Emma's Bagel Cafe. Many breakfast options, but they have lunch dinner options as well like mac n' cheese. 9306 Skokie Blvd, Skokie, IL 60077. 847-673-3030
Chalavi. 2931 W. Touhy Chicago, IL 60645. 773-338-9640
EJ's Pizzeria.   9149 N. Gross Point Skokie, IL 60076. 224-534-7215
Slice of Life.(request Cholov Yisroel)4120 W. Dempster Skokie, IL 60076. 847-674-2021 
Tel Aviv Pizza (Cholov Yisroel - Pizza is Yoshon), 6349 N. California Chicago, IL 60659 773-764-3776
Hamachi Sushi. 2801 West Howard Chicago, IL 60645(773) 293-6904

Activities:
Navy Pier
Millennium Park/The Bean
Segway Tour
Six Flags Great America
Botanic Gardens

Hotels:
Fairmont Millennium Park
Park Hyatt Chicago>Category 6
Hyatt Regency Chicago>Category 4
Hyatt Regency O'Hare>Category 2
W Lakeshore>Category 5
W Chicago City Center>Category 5
Westin Chicago>Category 5
Aloft Chicago City Center>Category 4
Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers>Category 4
Aloft Chicago O'Hare>Category 2

Shabbos Tips:

Public Transport options:

Guidebooks:

Other Tips
Parking at ORD: The cheapest place to park is in the O'hare lot G. It's $10/day. Be aware that you need to take a bus to the tram (in lot E) which takes you to the terminals. This can take 20-25 minutes
« Last edited by DXD on March 22, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »

Author Topic: Chicago Master Thread  (Read 80919 times)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
Re: Chicago Master Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 05:15:47 AM »
How about the Kosher Subway on Dempster and Crawford? (is that the intersection?)
-Eli

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
How about the Kosher Subway on Dempster and Crawford? (is that the intersection?)

Yes, that is where it is.
Nice novelty for the time being. Wont last IMO.
The one in Cleveland is much better and MUCH cheaper. Double the meat on a premium sub is SIX dollars. lol.

They had specials for a while like a different foot long every night for $5. Once they dropped those, we dropped them. At that price, it was a good price for a sandwich. Once im paying $12 for a sandwich, ill go to sandwich club (which is much better) or kens or anywhere else for that matter. To see their menu go here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skokie-IL/Kosher-Subway/191599592463. Yes, they use facebook instead of a normal website.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »
Any predictions on how long that new place, Chop Touhy will last? lol
apparently they closed!! and i hear they are opening up a milchig place instead...

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:39 AM »

. Once im paying $12 for a sandwich, ill go to sandwich club (which is much better) or kens or anywhere else for that matter. To see their menu go here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skokie-IL/Kosher-Subway/191599592463. Yes, they use facebook instead of a normal website.

is it really $12 for a sandwich??

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14379
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:42 AM »
apparently they closed!! and i hear they are opening up a milchig place instead...
Wow Chicago restaurants seem to have a shorter shelf life than Pittsburgh restaurants.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »

I knew i should have put money on that one. Thats funny. Ive heard that the owners of chop touhy are the same as Main Pizza

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 01:44:13 AM »
is it really $12 for a sandwich??

Thats if you're lucky or dont like haveing any meat in your sandwich...

See the menu here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4535165&id=191599592463

Get yourself a foot long of roast beef for 11.99, then you can double the meat for another $6.00. Wanna add beef fry? another $2.00. Thats $20.00 already. Apples to apples, what would that sandwich cost in Cleveland?

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:13 AM »
There is a subway opening in detroit we will have to wait and see if its like chicago prices or like cleveland prices

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 04:14:58 AM »
Ive heard that the owners of chop touhy are the same as Main Pizza
Yep same owners, and they plan on opening a branch of Main pizza on Touhy (at least thats what i heard...)

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 04:17:15 AM »
Thats if you're lucky or dont like haveing any meat in your sandwich...

See the menu here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4535165&id=191599592463

Get yourself a foot long of roast beef for 11.99, then you can double the meat for another $6.00. Wanna add beef fry? another $2.00. Thats $20.00 already. Apples to apples, what would that sandwich cost in Cleveland?

WOW! Thats is kinda pricey... I never realized b/c i only got a six inch and there was a special so it was only $5 (if i remember correctly) so it seemed pretty cheap...

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 04:18:37 AM »
Yep same owners, and they plan on opening a branch of Main pizza on Touhy (at least thats what i heard...)

Interesting. Some people just dont know when to stop, huh? Maybe they are trying to pull a reversed "taboun move" by opening in chicago and then closing down the skokie branch. Although i dont see the point of that being that they get alot of business from the northern suburbs. They have to be crazy to think the chicago community can support two main pizza's.

(I thought i was the only crazy person up this late. I guess sleeping all day will do that to ya.)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »
WOW! Thats is kinda pricey... I never realized b/c i only got a six inch and there was a special so it was only $5 (if i remember correctly) so it seemed pretty cheap...

I love it how $5 is now a special for the 6 inch. I stopped going when they pulled the foot long special of $5. Its like the edys ice cream...charge the same price but give you smaller containers.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 04:23:06 AM »
Interesting. Some people just dont know when to stop, huh? Maybe they are trying to pull a reversed "taboun move" by opening in chicago and then closing down the skokie branch. Although i dont see the point of that being that they get alot of business from the northern suburbs. They have to be crazy to think the chicago community can support two main pizza's.

(I thought i was the only crazy person up this late. I guess sleeping all day will do that to ya.)
I really dont know why they would open on touhy either! at least in skokie they sometimes get business from the semi-religious people from that area, but on touhy they are totally relying on the frum ppl for the business (and we dont seem to be too reliable lately :(

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 04:27:44 AM »
I really dont know why they would open on touhy either! at least in skokie they sometimes get business from the semi-religious people from that area, but on touhy they are totally relying on the frum ppl for the business (and we dont seem to be too reliable lately :)

They are probably just trying to keep the building in use. I know there was an interesting story about what almost happened with that building before chop touhy opened. (i dont know if i should post the details here, but you can pm me for the details if you want).

Opening another main pizza is definitely a mistake. Although i did hear a rumor this week of someone from NYC opening a pizza shop here. Now some good pizza here in Chicago sounds like a nice idea!!!

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »

Opening another main pizza is definitely a mistake. Although i did hear a rumor this week of someone from NYC opening a pizza shop here. Now some good pizza here in Chicago sounds like a nice idea!!!
I just heard that too!! I heard it was opening in skokie near bagel country?