Author Topic: Went through the process of house hunting/buying  (Read 116884 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Went through the process of house hunting/buying
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
$200?!? I paid $425 here in NY and I'm told that is on the lower end. Wow! the cost of living here

When the inspection is done --follow  him along when he inspects -- do not just get the  verbal or wait for written--- i always ask for a copy of a old report he has done  before i hire , i do this so that i can understand what he will do and not do

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 03:47:22 AM »
Shopping for a mortgage:  Do the math.
Compare both percentage and monthly payments for 15 year, 20,30.  Don't just notice that the monthly payment is lower with a longer term.

also 'points'.  If you plan on staying in the house longer than a few years it often pays to 'buy down' the rate by paying up front 'points'. If you have the money available.  But leave enough cash for renovations you may want.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
When the inspection is done --follow  him along when he inspects -- do not just get the  verbal or wait for written--- i always ask for a copy of a old report he has done  before i hire , i do this so that i can understand what he will do and not do
+1000000. I walked through a house we were interested in with the engineer. He basically didn't find any significant problems, but I thought it was invaluable (besides the peace of mind as to the condition of the house) because he explained all sorts of things about the house, where everything is, what everything does, etc. Unfortunately, the seller ended up balking during contract negotiations, so it's on to the next house for us.

Shopping for a mortgage:  Do the math.
Compare both percentage and monthly payments for 15 year, 20,30.  Don't just notice that the monthly payment is lower with a longer term.

also 'points'.  If you plan on staying in the house longer than a few years it often pays to 'buy down' the rate by paying up front 'points'. If you have the money available.  But leave enough cash for renovations you may want.

These are all very good points, but very often the statement I bolded is the primary consideration. You either need the money if we're talking about points, or the steady income if we're talking about the term of the mortgage. If you can't comfortably cover the monthly payment for a 15 or 20 year mortgage within the context of the rest of your budget then you're going to go with 30, period.

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
I was told by a mortgage broker that every 10k you pay (he was talking in the context of above 20% downpayment) is 45$ off monthly bill.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
I was told by a mortgage broker that every 10k you pay (he was talking in the context of above 20% downpayment) is 45$ off monthly bill.
I was told you can easily and accurately calculate these things with any mortgage calculator easily available online
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 03:14:33 AM »
anyone know of a mortgage calculator that works with a loan that is broken down into 3 different interest rates and 3 different loan amounts? In israel it is not just one rate- its multiple rates- each one for a different section of the loan - that would give me the average interest amount?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »
anyone know of a mortgage calculator that works with a loan that is broken down into 3 different interest rates and 3 different loan amounts? In israel it is not just one rate- its multiple rates- each one for a different section of the loan - that would give me the average interest amount?
Didn't check through all the calculators on this site, so i'm not sure if  has what you're looking for. . .
http://mortgagemavin.com/

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 03:39:45 AM »
Is a home inspector necessary/worth it for a new construction?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »
In my town you need a "CO" (Certificate of occupancy) in order to live in the house.
To get a CO, it township inspector needs to inspect the house and make sure everything is safe/was done up to code.

Not sure if that's the same thing that a home inspector does. . .

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »

I would spend for the inspection , you bought with a specified quality by the  builder ( materials and workmanship ), because a town gives a C.O. does not mean  you got what u are paying for -- like any industry , many ways to "skin a cat" -- do u think Donald Trump puts his faith in a CO ---P.S. do not get me wrong  D.T. is not one of my favorites

also I want to have someone who works "for me" tell me on my biggest purchase --all O.K. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:11:12 AM by SPLP »

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:45 AM »
I would spend for the inspection , since builders define what quality they will use and
So the home inspector, may find things that weren't done as promised, and therefore hopefully lower the price in the end?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »
see my modified post

yes -- i would NEVER trust a builder , on the trust scale they come right after used car salesman

that house needs to last a lifetime ( even if resell )---just go to home depot and u will see as an example--brand name faucets from $25 - to 250 , very little to do with style and if they are safe --doors windows etc

Offline daveb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »
Buying a house can be very worth it but it takes a lot of effort and money.
The home inspector if worth every penny.  Frequently they are able to point out valid issues you may not realize which will let you renegotiate  the sales price.  Be aware that they work for you and may say a small crack is a huge problem in order to help you save money, but realize they could be lying for your benefit.
  Closing costs can cost tens of thousands of dollars in some places (like nyc). find out what they are on a house to help you determine what you can afford.
  Mortgage are very low now.  In a few years they probably will be double what the are now.  Get in now if you can.  There are some mortgages called "arms" which are cheaper than fixed rate morgages. Do not get one to save yourself $20 a month for five years; the rate will readjust in the future and probably be much much higher then.
   If you  want to buy because you "dont want to keep on throwing money out " by renting, that is a good reason but  keep in mind you  pay a ton of interest and dont start getting a lot of  equity for quite a while.  After the first year of a 30yr mortgage you have only paid off 1% of the loan the rest goes to interest.   
   Buying a house that needs work can save you a ton of money.   However  you need to be able to go through the "hock" of doing more repairs and work.  (if you are reading this blog then by definition you are a bit of a "hocker" so it shouldnt be a problem).  Things like carpet and painting are only cosmetic issues and easy to deal with but structual and extension issues require a pro.  If the previous owners just redid a kitchen within the past few years then you probably are paying for all the time and money they put into it and then some.  Not that you shouldnt buy a house with a new kitchen but just realize the sales price will reflect that.
  If you want to buy a foreclosure, chances are you want to live in a frum neighborhood too and everyone else wants that one foreclosed house. You wont get it.
You need to have a reserve for repairs. they always need to be done.  I heard someone say budget $100 a month for them.  That seems a bit high to me but boilers and roofs (and everything else) need to be replaced and they cost lots of money.
Good luck.  All in all its worth it but "marbeh nechasim marbeh daygeh."

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
   If you  want to buy because you "dont want to keep on throwing money out " by renting, that is a good reason but  keep in mind you  pay a ton of interest and dont start getting a lot of  equity for quite a while.  After the first year of a 30yr mortgage you have only paid off 1% of the loan the rest goes to interest.   

The fact that you're paying a lot of interest should not really be a factor in whether you buy a house or not. Besides, the interest portion of your mortgage is tax deductible, it's not as bad as it seems.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »
Meh, that's something an infant can do.
In another few months I'll be a real hero posting 'how meshugener bought his home in NYC' 
Who paid for the down payment and who pays the mortgage: everyone but meshugner...

Better deal than free toilet paper.

Thanks to mmeress, I was able to quote your secret:
Access to available money is worth money.
I know someone who bought a rental apartment by churning 0% APR-purchase cards (redeeming the money via AP) for the down payment, + a mortgage.
He pays the min payment each month, and he has a free $50k loan!.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »
Buying a house can be very worth it but it takes a lot of effort and money.
Good luck.  All in all its worth it but "marbeh nechasim marbeh daygeh."
+2
well said
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Thanks to mmeress, I was able to quote your secret:
Cool, but no, that's not me.
I don't have to borrow money. (actually, I do have to, but someone pays for it.  :P )
For starters see here
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »
Cool, but no, that's not me.
I don't have to borrow money. (actually, I do have to, but someone pays for it.  :P )
For starters see here
Is that a s8 voucher you're using?

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 01:54:25 AM »
Is that a s8 voucher you're using?
Yes.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »
I see that the fact that you altered your listed programs has not been a result of a change of heart.  :P